PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into casting after 20 yrs

like it all
09-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Due to the unavailability of reloading componants I have recently pulled all my casting equiptment out of mothballs and started casting again. What I have discovered so far is, casting is far more complex than it was in 1979. Many of the "old school" techniques are still valid today, but there are many new things I have adopted. Now we come to bullet lubes. I'm still using good old Javalina brand for lube. I cast only pistol and revolver bullets, and my loads are limited to under 45000 cup. I have an RCBS lube sizer with a midway heater under it, heater relegated to winter casting. The Javalina is a bit on the smoky, dirty side when fired. Are there better lubes for handgun loads now? Are they as easy to use as the old stuff?

groovy mike
09-06-2013, 10:31 AM
I recently switched from Javalina to White label. It is as cheap as any you will find and it is good lube too!

rlb
09-06-2013, 09:59 PM
Check this place out.

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/

rlb
09-06-2013, 10:00 PM
That's Paladin in your avatar.

like it all
09-08-2013, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the info on the White Label Lubes fellas. I'll send an order to them today. And yes "Have gun , will travel" was my all time favorite western. A thinking man, that was proficient with a SAA.

snaketail
09-18-2013, 04:22 PM
When I was in the Navy my new squadron adopted the name "Pala-Knights" and used the Paladin chess piece as our tail logo. But someone at the studio where they made "Have Gun - Will Travel" didn't think it was such a good idea...we had to repaint a bunch of planes. We weren't as proficient with 20mm.

Thanks for the tip on lubes - I'm about to dive into casting and lubing, and all the stuff that goes with it.