PDA

View Full Version : Lee 2 cavity mold question

glockky
09-06-2013, 03:40 AM
Did I ruin my lee 2 cavity molds by the sprue plate gouging into the aluminum blocks. Today while casting even after lubing with BP I kept having problems with the sprue plate digging in out on the end of the mold.

My Accurate mold will be in next week hopefully I dont have these problems.

NoZombies
09-06-2013, 06:32 AM
Sounds like the sprue plate may be warped. Depending on the amount of damage, it might be repairable. Only way to find out is to try.

Remove the sprue plate, and lap the bottom using sandpaper on a piece of glass. You can do the same to the top of the blocks to true them up. The aluminum blocks will cut much faster, so be careful. When done, clean everything up good, preheat the mold and apply a little bull plate (I'm assuming that's what the BP in your post stood for).

Assuming the gouges aren't too deep, this will probably clean things up and make the mold usable.

Wally
09-06-2013, 07:05 AM
I have many DC Lee molds, most are many years old. NoZombies method is what i use if/when such things happen...then I remove the sprue plate screw and replace with a socket screw and I then keep the sprue plate a bit loose. After 50 cats or so I touch a candle to the sprue pate screw..this lubricates it just enough....Bullpate will do the same. Your mold is not ruined...

DLCTEX
09-07-2013, 02:17 PM
My only complaint with the new style 2 cav. was the burrs on the edge of the sprue plate had scratched the top of the mould when it came out of the box. A little abrasive cloth fixed that. The sprue plate screw was too tight and caused galling under it. I am planning to drill and tap for a set screw to hold it in correct adjustment. Bullplate lube helps tho prevent galling on my moulds.

John Boy
09-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Today while casting even after lubing with BP I kept having problems with the sprue plate digging in out on the end of the mold.The plate is too tight as all Lee molds shipped from the factory. Remove the plate - bevel the edges of the plate with a diamond stone. Then re-attach the plate to the mold and tighten to the point where the sprue plate fully opens off the mold when you flip the mold with your hand while holding the handles. If you can wiggle the plate up & down - it is too loose

glockky
09-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Well I took the sprue to my fine grit whetstone and it removed all the burs. Then I rolled the edge of the sprue where it contacts the mold when sliding it shut. Everything seems to be smother now. Thanks for the help