PDA

View Full Version : Wc820

Adam10mm
10-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Been itching to try some surplus powder. I've been on the Bartlett Reloader's page and saw that WC820 is the equiv of AA#9. Is this right? I've been itching to try AA#9 in 10mm. This the stuff to try on the cheap? I'd go for the cheap puldown powder at $72/8 and save $1/lb to offset the HM $8.

Thoughts?

Scrounger
10-23-2007, 03:50 PM
Been itching to try some surplus powder. I've been on the Bartlett Reloader's page and saw that WC820 is the equiv of AA#9. Is this right? I've been itching to try AA#9 in 10mm. This the stuff to try on the cheap? I'd go for the cheap puldown powder at $72/8 and save $1/lb to offset the HM $8.

Thoughts?

Shipping and HazMat is going to kick that up to over $100 for one keg. You can average the price down by buying 4 of them.

Lloyd Smale
10-23-2007, 05:03 PM
fair warning the pulldown is faster burning. The virgin powder is very close to aa9 and there was another fversion called wc820f that burned about like hs7. Like Scrounger said the best way to buy it is in quanity. If a guy is going to fool with it you might as well buy 6 kegs and get a break on hazmat. If your just buying a single keg your not going to save much and another problem is once you get loads worked up your at the mercy of not being able to find more as alot of the surplus is drying up. Also it tends to vary more lot to lot then comercial powders so if you do buy more it could be out of a differnt batch. My buddy and i usually get together and buy 6 kegs at a time and split the cost. maybe you could talk Dan into going in on some with you. If you just want to try a little i could send you a half a pound or so to play with. If your anything like me your going to love the stuff. I get nervous if my stash is down to 4 jugs!! I use it more then all the rest of my powders combined. Its good for about any medium to mag handgun load and does real well with cast in rifles too.

BCB
10-23-2007, 05:28 PM
freakshow10mm,
My particular lot of WC-820 is Lot #47320. I have shot it side by side with equal charges of AA#9, Lot #06791, and it shoots within a few f.p.s. That is when used in the 357 and 44 Magnums and cast bullets. I consider my lot of WC-820 to be AA#9. That is the data I use and have had no problems. Check the lot number and see. It is an excellent powder and I always wish I had purchased more of it in that lot number. Good-luck...BCB

mike in co
10-23-2007, 06:49 PM
And My 820 Is Slower Than 9....
17 Gr Of Aa9 Is 19 Gr Of Wc820......which Is Fine With Me...one More Tuning Aid.

BCB
10-23-2007, 07:10 PM
mike in co,
When I purchased my particular lot of WC-820, it was advertised as H-110 data--no way!!! Maybe the lot you got is the one advertised correctly as H-110 data? OR, maybe your lot of AA#9 is just a fast lot!!! Too dang many variables! SO, a chronograph sure comes in handy...BCB

Lloyd Smale
10-23-2007, 08:38 PM
Ive bought lots of it over the last few years and have never found a batch thats near 110 in burning speed. Its all substantialy faster. I wont say that none of it is that slow but its never been at my house. I would have to say its possible because i had some hogdon powder (not 108 but whatever the other one was possibly 118. Its been a while) that did burn very close to 110 and they all sure look the same.

Adam10mm
10-23-2007, 10:49 PM
Don't have the bankroll to spring for 6 kegs. My local gunshop doesn't stock anything over 1# except Clays. And he charges about $25/lb. When tax returns comes around I'm getting minumum 35K primers and 2 kegs of each of my powders.

I'll have to check with Dan and the range guys. Maybe we can do a group buy. Don't know how many we could swing.

ktw
10-23-2007, 11:41 PM
I'll have to check with Dan and the range guys. Maybe we can do a group buy. Don't know how many we could swing.

I'm interested. I'd be in for 3 or 4 8lb kegs if I can pick from the full spectrum of commercial powders. 1 or 2 kegs if we are only talking surplus (i.e. WC820).

-ktw

Buckshot
10-24-2007, 12:41 AM
I'm interested. I'd be in for 3 or 4 8lb kegs if I can pick from the full spectrum of commercial powders. 1 or 2 kegs if we are only talking surplus (i.e. WC820).

-ktw

............That's an excellent way to do it if you can get some buddies together. I guess it's been about 10 years ago now but 4 -5 of the Burrito Bunch and a couple others got together and we got 128lbs of surplus.

Midway has a 32 lb powder deal now, but they used to have a 96lb powder order shrink wrapped and shipped on a small pallet via truck. They paid the freight and haz mat. I think most the powders then were running about $96/8lb so today at about $118, it's still not much more. Locally 1 pound cans are in the $22 to $26 realm, so getting an 8lb jug saves you close to $70. And it becomes a better deal over time. That's like getting close to 3 pounds for free.

HA! Keep buying till you show a profit!

................Buckshot

Lloyd Smale
10-24-2007, 05:14 AM
I might be up for a keg or two if it can wait till after christmas and you could drop it off in your travels. With gas prices if i had to run to the copper country to pick it up it wouldnt be worth the hastle. I know one or two other guys that may be intersted if it could be dropped at my door. Keep me informed. If you guys decide to do it contact the seller as weve even ordered enough a couple times that they not only picked up hasmat but also gave us free shipping. I know i need at least a keg of 844 and wouldnt mind try the wc297 I get most of mine herehttp://www.patsreloading.com/patsrel/prices.htm

-ktw

Adam10mm
10-24-2007, 09:56 AM

-ktw

I was thinking surplus but if you wanted to do a group buy on commerical stuff I don't know where to look for great prices other than Powder Valley. Graf's has freight paid shipping and if it is more than 32# they pay the HM fee. Don't know if PV has shipping included in prices.

If they handle the spectrum of commercial plus have some surplus, that would be great. Either way I'd like some AA#9. I'd like to keg up on Blue Dot, WSF, IMR4198 and get 1# samplers of Power Pistol and Reloader 7 & 15. Only so much money though. I could probably spring for a keg and then 1#ers of PP, R7 and R15.

If you get in on it, I can run the powder down to you. My dad loaned me his Honda Del Sol so I get 40-42mpg on the highway instead of 20 in my Blazer.:mrgreen:

I'll try to get a hold of Dan between classes today and see if we could do it. I don't think our class schedules jive.

ktw
10-24-2007, 11:19 AM
If you get in on it, I can run the powder down to you.

I can make a delivery from here to Lloyd Smale. I can also deliver from here to the Ironwood/Hurley or the Iron River/Crystal Falls areas if there are any Northern Wisconsin guys who want to participate.

Go ahead and set some parameters on the buy based on your needs (Surplus/Commercial/Either). Let the rest of us know what our options are. Get commitments, collect some money, make the order.

-ktw

Lloyd Smale
10-24-2007, 11:42 AM
Like i said if your doing surplus id be in and pats is the place i have delt with in the past but bartlets is good too and if your making a big order it my pay to check both and see what kind of a deal you can get. I pretty much caught up with commercail powders for now. . If your looking for aa9 id recomend you give wc820 a try. Its the same thing.
I was thinking surplus but if you wanted to do a group buy on commerical stuff I don't know where to look for great prices other than Powder Valley. Graf's has freight paid shipping and if it is more than 32# they pay the HM fee. Don't know if PV has shipping included in prices.

If they handle the spectrum of commercial plus have some surplus, that would be great. Either way I'd like some AA#9. I'd like to keg up on Blue Dot, WSF, IMR4198 and get 1# samplers of Power Pistol and Reloader 7 & 15. Only so much money though. I could probably spring for a keg and then 1#ers of PP, R7 and R15.

If you get in on it, I can run the powder down to you. My dad loaned me his Honda Del Sol so I get 40-42mpg on the highway instead of 20 in my Blazer.:mrgreen:

I'll try to get a hold of Dan between classes today and see if we could do it. I don't think our class schedules jive.

Adam10mm
10-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Will do. And I just got a PV catalog in the mail today. I wish I had my 06 FFL approved and in hand. I could get a good discount there.

I can make a delivery from here to Lloyd Smale. I can also deliver from here to the Ironwood/Hurley or the Iron River/Crystal Falls areas if there are any Northern Wisconsin guys who want to participate.
I'll bring yours and whatever else is going that way. I can do the Copper Country (Houghton, Keweenaw, Baraga) too. I've gotten orders when I visit family in Green Bay and drop it off as I come back up North to home. Nice thing is no HM, but 5% ST.

I'll keep you posted.

Adam10mm
10-28-2007, 09:30 PM
I'm going to hold off on the group buy until I get my 06FFL and can get dealer pricing at Graf's for the commercial powder. If I order 100# or more powder (in stock) they will ship to a commerical address (mine) for $50 including HM fee. We could easily split that fee and I won't markup the price either, it will be my cost. I'll let you know when I get my FFL, probably early December.

redneckdan
10-30-2007, 09:40 AM
I'd be up for a group buy, either surplus or commercial, after christmas would work for me too. I'm primarily intrested in:

H4227
H110
Red Dot
Blue Dot

WC820

Jeff had at one time a powder close to AA1680, that would be the slick ticket for my a .300 whisper if it comes back in stock.

Adam10mm
10-30-2007, 10:23 AM
Sounds good. I'll check back when I get it. Dan, we should check with the IDPA guys at the club to see if they want in on it. I'm sure we can get a few on board. I should be there Sunday.

9.3X62AL
10-30-2007, 11:22 AM
Freak--

A late pile-on here for WC-820 in the 10mm and magnum revolvers. My first jug was purchased from Scrounger just before he emigrated back to the United States from California, and I discovered its burn rate and pressure yield was NOT like that of H-110, but of AA-9. I used a Redhawk x 44 Magnum for this first test drive, and the start loads were pretty substantial. The end loads using book max H-110 data were rated "R", with strong language and graphic violence.

'Way fun, in other words. I have since outgrown the enjoyment of heavy recoil, and my right thumb has re-migrated back to its OEM location from the inside crook of my elbow.

In the 10mm, I like AA-7 with the 170-180 grain bullets (jacketed or cast) and AA-9/WC-820 with the 200 grainers, redcoat or poured. I would suggest against that ChiCom surplus powder "#7" from Bartlett's as a cheep substitute for AA-7, though. The "small hockey puck" grain form refuses to flow or meter through any powder measure other than the Lee spoon set--but the stuff does act just like AA-7, if you don't mind the 19th Century powder measure sequence.

As an aside, I should note that these Lee spoons when used as Lee recommends do a pretty decent job of "weighing" powder. Their variance with #7 didn't exceed 2% of mean high or low, and that discovery prompted further check-weighing of other powders. Ball powders like WW-748 and WC-820 did even better than the #7 variance-wise, and the thick sticks of IMR-4350 and IMR-4831 (which are another PITA in my old RCBS Duo-Measure) weigh out in the spoons about like they do using the measure--a 0.4-0.6 grain variance both ways from charge to charge in 50 grain-class weights. Either method kinda strongly suggests scaling and trickling of charges with the Thick Sticks.

Dale53
10-30-2007, 11:42 AM
I got in on a VERY early buy of WC 820 from Pat McDonald. I negotiated a 300 lb sale (came in two large "bottles") and later did it again. Ours was all from one lot and it was within ½ grain of the lot of H110 I was using (this in a chronographed .44 magnum). I took 50 lbs at the time and am just now seeing the end of it. I will not tell you what we paid for it as it will tend to make you want to throw up (yeh, it was THAT cheap).

I have a friend that ran a check on my lot of WC 820 alongside his lot of H108 with pressure equipment and in the .32 Miller Short it was dead nuts equal, grain for grain.

Later lots seem to be in the burning rate of AA #9. If you have access to a chronograph and have a canister grade of a similar powder, it is pretty easy to check out the burning rate of the powder in question with a reasonable certainty of staying safe.

Dale53

Adam10mm
10-30-2007, 12:48 PM
We have one at the range but it needs a new screen holder, as I sent a 10mm bullet into it and bent it.

Thanks for the info CZ. I got a GP100 on the way that I want to try #9 out in too.

BD
10-30-2007, 05:33 PM
My lot of WC820 is #47321. I bought it about 10 years ago from Bartlett and it tracked the H110 I had on hand grain for grain in the .44 mag using bullet weights from 180 to 240 grains. Behind bullets heavier than 240 grains it starts to act a little faster and it's much closer to AA #9 than H110 when used under 300 grain and heavier bullets. I think that anytime you start into a new lot of surplus powder you need to calibrate against a known quantity, (or two), in the cartridge in question before you make any broad generalizations about how it's gonna behave.
BD

MT Gianni
10-30-2007, 07:53 PM
Al, My lee spoons did well with 820 but had high variations with IMR 7383. Weigh before you blindly trust is now my motto. Gianni