PDA

View Full Version : 434250 and Pressure

Bass Ackward
08-21-2005, 10:49 AM
I am happy as all get out with this new bullet design and for reasons that I never expected. I was expecting the holly grail to be in the diameter. But .... I didn't get it. For me, it is because of the various crimp grooves. This has turned out to be a nifty way to tune most any load into acceptable performance.

As an example: My first trials were with 15 - 17 grains of 2400. Crimped in the front groove, the 15 grain load chronod at the same average velocity as 16.5 grains crimped in the back groove. Except that the extreme spread was much closer because ignition was better. And it turned out that the 15 grains load shot much better than the 16.5 at the same velocity.

I was taught this lesson decades ago with the 358156, but I forgot. (Makes me wonder just what else went down the drain.) This is not magic by any stretch of the imagination, but it does enable one to correct ignition problems if they exist assuming you want to operate in a velocity range other than gallery to full wrist wrencher loads.

Thank you all who partisipated in this design.

JohnH
08-21-2005, 11:31 AM
I blasphemed yesterday all over my 357 Max.....I shot it with 38 Special cases. The Lee 180 group buy over 6.6 grains of #107 shot a couple of well formed 1" groups at 50 yards. Better than I've seen the rifle do at low velocity. Could be a fluke, but I'm gonna go try again here in a few minutes and see what happens. And here you've been saying to me something about poor or irratic ignition for more than a while now......

Willbird
08-21-2005, 12:27 PM
In my initial playing around with the 434-250 I notcied what you said John, loads thet grouped nice crimped in the back groove opened up when I seated them deeper, that was with blue dot.

Bill

Bass Ackward
08-21-2005, 01:32 PM
In my initial playing around with the 434-250 I notcied what you said John, loads thet grouped nice crimped in the back groove opened up when I seated them deeper, that was with blue dot.

Bill

Bill,

Yea. Get's one to thinkin. The faster the powder, the wider the pressure range over those seating depths. That would be true of any bullet design.

I was thinking more along the lines if a guy wanted to buy surplus powder and then have the flexibility to find a pressure range that would meet his needs as well as those of the gun. Could just make the use of a surplus powder a lot more flexible for a wider variety of loads and velocity ranges.

And if you wanta kick a dead horse, this reminds me of that discussion of Keith bullet designs. While many people are enamored with details of round this or wide that, maybe seating depth is the critical factor to individual performance. Could be that a semi wadcutter design with variable seating options of multiple crimp grooves would make any semi wadcutter design more useful to more people too. Kinda like a 358156 with more choices.

45 2.1
08-21-2005, 03:38 PM
And if you wanta kick a dead horse, this reminds me of that discussion of Keith bullet designs. While many people are enamored with details of round this or wide that, maybe seating depth is the critical factor to individual performance. Could be that a semi wadcutter design with variable seating options of multiple crimp grooves would make any semi wadcutter design more useful to more people too. Kinda like a 358156 with more choices.

Yea, seems like i've heard that, maybe I have a three crimp 358156 running around someplace in my files.

buck1
08-21-2005, 04:25 PM
I shot my first ones today, I used the back crimp grove. I used 20gr of my lot of wc820.
I shot close up for starters 15 yd. All groups could be covered by a nickel.
My Redhawk handled them fine, as did My Ruger Bisley.
I am going to try for the first time, tumble lubes.
If they work....My 6 CAV and tumble lubed bullets will have bullets ready in a flash!!....Buck