PDA

View Full Version : Graduated!!

Gliden07
09-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Well I graduated from Trade school!! Took about a year to do. I'm 49 trying a new career or so I thought? In my old life I was an outside salesmen for an Electrical supply company, I never got my Electricians Licence (because I was stupid!!) and my state in there infinite wisdom, took my ability to get it away from me because I was out of the field for 10 years (I did side work with other electricians but nothing on the books).

Well time goes on; I love my sales job and then it happens!! We get bought out by one company and then another. Of course the new company is looking to save payroll and since I was there the longest, was making the most money (more than the Store manager!) and had 4 weeks vacation I get laid off!! Typical corporate America!! End up going to a trade school figuring my electrical background will help me! I graduated with a 3.8 GPA!! I've been out 3 weeks and can't find a job (no bites)!! Was really getting depressed about it! But then I get an Email from a local Electrical company that was my direct competition when I was in the sales game!! The Manager decided he wanted to talk to me about a job he had open up!! I go and talk to him and I kill (in a good way!!) the interview!! I have a second interview with him and his Boss in a week!! I need to get back to work but still am undecided about this opportunity?? :veryconfu

mikeym1a
09-05-2013, 05:54 PM
A job bringing in money for mortgage, HOI, car payment & ins, and all the other necessities is certainly better then no job at all. My younger son, because of his temper, threw away his last 3 jobs, and is now bemoaning his fate of having to live with his mother, because he can't find a job. Times are tough. Take the job. When things finally improve, maybe you will be able to trade up. In the meantime, bringing home a paycheck is good for one's self-esteem. Oh, congratulations on the graduation. And good luck.

daniel lawecki
09-05-2013, 06:08 PM
You can't buy the things you need with good looks take the job. The longer your not working the harder it becomes to get off the your *** to look for work.

Driver man
09-05-2013, 06:13 PM
One door closes and another opens. Its all up to you if you walk through it.

MrWolf
09-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Congrats on graduating and good luck on the interview.

MtGun44
09-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Congrats. Take the job. Even if it doesn't work out it is better to be working when looking for a
job than not, and you are MORE likely to be hired if already working.

Bill

Love Life
09-05-2013, 10:08 PM
A job bringing in money for mortgage, HOI, car payment & ins, and all the other necessities is certainly better then no job at all. My younger son, because of his temper, threw away his last 3 jobs, and is now bemoaning his fate of having to live with his mother, because he can't find a job. Times are tough. Take the job. When things finally improve, maybe you will be able to trade up. In the meantime, bringing home a paycheck is good for one's self-esteem. Oh, congratulations on the graduation. And good luck.

^^^^This!!!

Congratulations on graduating!

Artful
09-05-2013, 10:22 PM
Congrat's and I'd take the job.

fatelk
09-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Congratulations!

I've been there, done that. Ultimately my former work connections got me a good job, but the education definitely helped. I have a strong feeling it made the difference of a couple dollars per hour in my new job, even though my degree is in a different field.

km101
09-05-2013, 10:57 PM
In my experience you are more likely to find the job you want if you are currently employed. In making hiring decisions in the past, I was always a little worried about someone who remained unemployed for a long time.
And many of the managers that I know feel the same way.

Take the job and then when you are able to pay the bills, try to find something else. A bird in the hand........

felix
09-05-2013, 11:18 PM
45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!! ... Gliden07

And, you are hesitant about taking the job if offered? What a paradox in your thought when I read the above line. ... felix

Duckiller
09-05-2013, 11:48 PM
#2 son graduated from law School and passed the bar last year. He has sent out more than 100 resumes. Very few responses, no job offers yet. If offered take the job. If it is a hateful job look for a new one before you quit.

Bzcraig
09-05-2013, 11:49 PM
Congratulation, but I too would take the job. A sales job is much easier on the body!

gmsharps
09-05-2013, 11:57 PM
Take the job. It's easier to get a job if you have a job. Your age will start being a handicap as time goes on. For some reason employers take younger less expierience before they take older more reliable more mature and expierienced folks.

gmsharps

Gliden07
09-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Thanks to all that have responded! If the job is offered I will take it (need to pay the bills). And GM I totally agree with you!! My work history is excellent I've only had a few jobs since High School and never burned any bridges when finding new jobs to better myself. I'm sure age has been a factor in this?

Take the job. It's easier to get a job if you have a job. Your age will start being a handicap as time goes on. For some reason employers take younger less expierience before they take older more reliable more mature and expierienced folks.

gmsharps

41 mag fan
09-07-2013, 09:22 AM
Seems like thats the trend nowadays.....employers are looking for the long term, not the reliable, mature worker.
They'll take some kid whose early 20's and not one iota of experience, and who'll miss work on a sniffle, or a whim over a person in late 30's and up, whose reliable, mature and dependable and experienced.
I guess they look at the...well he's got 40 yrs till retirement and he's only got 10 or 20 till retirement.
I'm at that point in my life if i want out of the underground coal mining i need to make a move soon. At 44 soon to be 45, less likely I'll get a job with good pay and no college education.

Gliden07
09-16-2013, 04:20 PM
Well Gents here's an update: I accepted the job that was offered to me in my old field of Outside Electrical Sales. The Company that offered the job pays decent and the job has Health and Dental benefits too!! I live in a very economically depressed area and I'm very excited about it! I am looking forward (believe it or not) to getting back to work! I feel very fortunate to have gotten this job where I live. A little bittersweet though, I paid for HVAC school, graduated and now I'm on the hook for a Student Loan to the Feds for a field I'm not gonna work in (for the time being)!! But I figured the education and all the endorsements and Licences can't hurt and will provide a good backup plan!

starmac
09-16-2013, 04:34 PM
You may find it easy enough to pick up enough side work in the Hvac field to more than pay the loan back.

Dale in Louisiana
09-16-2013, 06:51 PM
Folks, if you have a trade, southwest Louisiana is getting geared up for a boom in construction trades.

Just saying.

dale in Louisiana