PDA

View Full Version : Issues with a 110 year old 1892 Winchester

rbertalotto
09-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Hi folks,

Maybe you can help....

Yesterday I picked up a Winchester 1892 in 38-40 for $400. The gun is in rough shape but I think I can save it. All the parts are there and it functions fine. There is a sliver of wood missing from the forend. The butt stock is in great shape.

I took it completely apart and put everything into the ultrasonic cleaner. Can't believe the "mud" that was in the water after cleaning! Put it all back together and it is quite smooth functioning.

The bore is pretty proud and quite pitted. A .401 bullet will enter the muzzle with no force for about 3/4" and then it is engraved with rifling nicely. The chamber is pitted. Haven't been able to shoot it yet. It might need a reline...We'll see.

The issue I'm having is feeding....If I load ten rounds it will feed the first 9 fine, but it will not feed the last round. It doesn't come up far enough to enter the chamber. The tip of the bullet hits the lip of the chamber.

I have a modern 1892 (Japan) that I can compare the action sequence to. The only thing I see different with the old gun is the elevator tends to drop down about a 1/32" when the lever is pulled back to push a cartridge into the chamber. The Mirkou 1892 the elevator stays right up top. On the old gun this seems to be because of wear on the inside of the receiver where the spring loaded plunger on the elevator contacts and should hold it in place.

The barrel on the Mirkou has quite a load ramp cut into the bottom of the chamber, the old rifle has zero load ramp.

And lastly, it will extract all rounds, but it only ejects about 70% of the time. The extractor looks like it is doing it's job, but 30% of the time the cartridge disconnects from the extractor before the case is totally out of the chamber, and then it simply lies on top of the next round and jams up the works.

I love messing with these old guns. I've brought back to life a 1873 and an 1886 and a 1894 Take Down and a Marlin 1889 and a Marlin 1893...All were pretty much "basket cases" and now are being used to shoot Cowboy Action and for hunting.

But this 1892 has me really scratching my head!

downwind
09-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Apparently you got it at Collectors in Stonehan, Ma I handled that gun several times thinking I may buy it and was going to contact you for help in rebarreling or sleeving it.
I guess I don't have to worry about that anymore.
Good luck with it.
Show us some pictures

THANKS
DOWNWIND