PDA

View Full Version : How much jpw evaporates due to solvents? for 45/45/10

bzajdek
09-05-2013, 12:21 PM
I am going to make some 45/45/10 and have 2 cans of Johnsons paste wax, 16oz. How long should I heat it in a double boiler to evaporate what is not useful, either time in minutes of what percentage should be left ex . 10 fl oz or 30minutes. Any help is appreciated.

xacex
09-05-2013, 07:39 PM
I cook it outside in the can it comes in on low heat on a hotplate. Cooked down to 2/3rds original volume works fine for me. By the time you take out that 1/3rd of solvent the color will be much darker, and you can add the LLA straight in to melted JPW. Wait a bit for it to cool, and add the mineral spirits before it gets to room temp.

Wecome!

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-05-2013, 08:24 PM
I cook the JPW to half of it's original volume.
Then I add the LLA, and cook the mix a bit also...maybe 10 minutes or so.
then add the MS.
When cooled, it's the consistancy of creamy peanut butter at Room Temp.
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/454510closeup.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/454510closeup.jpg.html)

Hamish
09-06-2013, 07:11 AM
Or,,,,,,,,you can just get the JPW warm enough to melt and then add the bottle of Alox, stir it up, and then you are done,,,,,

(Heresy, yes, I know, but it works)

Joe504
09-06-2013, 08:02 AM
I know this has been mentioned before, but just to reiterate, please do this outside, and with an electric hot plate.

texassako
09-06-2013, 09:13 AM
Or,,,,,,,,you can just get the JPW warm enough to melt and then add the bottle of Alox, stir it up, and then you are done,,,,,

(Heresy, yes, I know, but it works)

I never really understood why I was cooking solvents out just to add a solvent(mineral spirits) back in; so I have gone to this as well.

bangerjim
09-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Yes, all you are doing is cooking out the volatile solvents......and then ADDING them back in! What you are left with is beeswax, Carnuba wax, and a bit of microcrystalline wax. Then you mix paint thinner back in, although not as much. Does not make a whole lotta sense in the long run. Melt the JPW over hot plate and add the LLA. If you like nut butter, cook it down until you like the consistency.

I know the 45/45/10 formula has been around here for some time, but I used the above melt procedure until I stared electrostatic gun powder coating EVERYTHING......eliminating the total need for any witch's brew lubes and greasy concoctions of any kind.

bangerjim

sierra1911
09-06-2013, 06:22 PM
My understanding is that the cooking process removes all of the unknown solvents which are then replaced with a known quantity of a known, quickly evaporating solvent. I boiled my can of JPW down to about 40% right in the JPW can and then added two 4oz bottles of LLA. After it cooled a bit I added only 2 tablespoons of mineral spirits instead of the 3.5 needed to reach 10%. I use a 1/4 teaspoon to measure it from the can and place it directly on boolits warmed with a hair dryer. The warm boolits melt the lube. I dump them on a foil covered cookie sheet and they're ready to size or load as soon as they cool.

fryboy
09-07-2013, 12:57 PM
i accidentally left one can simmering ...it went from being a lil over 3/4 full to less than a 1/4" , thin hard brittle dark brown ummm disk .... ( this went into a batch of stick lube i made so no remaining MS wasnt such a bad thing ,ie; no shrinkage later after filling the grooves ) when i make it for tumble lube i try to cook appox 1/2 of it away , like many recipes ..a lil less... a lil more...a lil different it still seems to work ( well within reason ;) )

it does seem to be a different solvent we're removing , and one that dries much slower than plain MS ( leave a can open and see how long it takes to dry sometime ) , it also smells very different , real scientific huh ? :P

bangerjim
09-07-2013, 01:50 PM
If you want to know what your "cooking out" see this:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/cd/cd7dc30d-9d8e-45b8-9729-3ef96bea4b0b.pdf

Stoddard solvent is almost exactly what mineral spirits are!

And Trimethylbenzene is another moderatly volatile HC solvent. Again, mineral spirits!

And min spirits do not evaporate that fast at room temp.

bangerjim

Old Dawg
11-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Or you could just use the JPW as it comes. Lightly warm the bullets, tumble with a little JPW and air dry.