PDA

View Full Version : How to Clean Underneath Wooden Stock Pieces

hamholfarm
09-05-2013, 09:54 AM
Hello,

I have a Lee Enfield No. 1 Mk. III* that I have finally disassembled.:oops: I would like to know how and what to use to clean the crud (oil, grease, powder, dirt, etc.) from underneath all the wood pieces of the stock. I do not want to alter anything or harm the exterior surfaces. The goo is pretty thick!

Thanks,

Chip

PS - I will post my story and pics in another thread soon. I would like to know the date of manufacture, where it may have been, etc., etc.

Uncle Grinch
09-05-2013, 10:41 AM
I use a heat box that I made. It's powered by lightbulbs and has a hinged top with a cross piece to hang stocks or barrelled actions from. The bottom has a trap door on one side to slide a catch pan for the cosmoline "renderings".

Works great, no chemicals... only needs time.

fa38
09-05-2013, 11:37 AM
I have left that goo there on a couple of rifles as I think it protected the area from rusting.

hamholfarm
09-05-2013, 12:58 PM
I guess I'll just wipe off most of it with clean rags and nothing else. I'm sure it's been there for 75+ years - but I dont' know how that effects the wood long term and I want this rifle to be around at least 3 times longer! Both of my boys (now adults) have claimed it when I die - hope they can wait a while - ha ha!

Wayne Smith
09-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Clean from the wood or from the metal??

hamholfarm
09-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Clean from the wood! Will clean and oil the metal.

Donor8x56r
09-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Some time ago I made box out of scrap 18Ga steel with open bottom for safe removal of cosmo from rifles and stocks.

He painted it flat black.

Place complete or dissembled rifle chip board,cover it with box,place whole thing outside in the sun and leave it there for a day or two.

Worked like a charm.

EDG
09-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Wipe it off with a clean rag. Your best 10 year old T shirt would work well.

country gent
09-05-2013, 08:14 PM
A plastic scrapper will get most of it a stiff brush and kerosene will remove the rest. Give the kerosene a chance to work and soften the old crud, then brush and wipe away with rags. Garands new were issued with a pint of kerosene/mineral spirits to remove the cosmoline.

Dutchman
09-05-2013, 11:12 PM
Lemon oil has a petroleum solvent in it that will dissolve grease pretty good. Won't hurt metal or wood. It's actually not bad when used to clean off accumulated dirt on the outside of an old stock. It will look a bit dry when it evaporates but the wood will usually have enough oil in it that it will be ok within a few days.

The long term problem with grease in the inletting is that over the half-century+ the oil in the grease will separate and soak into the wood. It migrates through the wood. It's almost a lost cause...

Dutch

Ehaver
09-06-2013, 04:30 PM
http://freespace.virgin.net/j.franklin/toys/serial_numbers.htm

http://oldguns.net/sn_php/mildateslookup.php?file=us_m1917edd.dat

here is a start

Ehaver
09-06-2013, 04:51 PM
For cleaning, http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?80483-From-Firewood-to-a-Gunstock and http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?55638-The-how-to-s-of-gunstock-work

BSalty
09-06-2013, 06:34 PM
When I need to get oils, grease, cosmo, etc. out of the wood I wipe off as much as possible with a dry cloth first. Second step is to use your stove top and just heat the wood up a bit. You will start to see it seeping out of the grain, just keep wiping it off and heating it up.

Obviously keep it moving over the heat and don't let it touch the burner. You CAN scorch the wood, so keep it moving. I hold it 4-6" above the burner.

On some military rifles it has taken me a few days.

Another way, stick it in a sealed black garbage bag and let it sit in the sun for a couple days. Either in a hot spot in your yard, or even on the dashboard of your car on a hot day will also bring it out.

Uncle Grinch
09-07-2013, 09:10 AM
Heree are some pics of my box that I use to remove the cosmoline.

hamholfarm
09-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Nice box Grinch!

If I had a bunch of rifles to do I would definitely copy your heat box. But I only have the one so I'll just do it manually.

Thanks everyone for all the ideas and the links - they all have given me ideas and I will work with what I have.

Chip