PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: BENS RED LUBE

huntnfish72
09-04-2013, 10:19 PM
Anyone have sum? I wanna try before I make a batch. Thanx

41 mag fan
09-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Send me your address thru a pm, I'll send you a sample of three different varieties of bens Red.
This way when you decide to make some up, you can make a batch of the variety you like and shoots best for you

Prodigal Son
09-05-2013, 10:24 AM
I have been using the original type with good success. I had some other type in my sizer and put it on my 35 remington 358315 boolits and it seemed to run out before getting to the end of the barrel. It was made for pistol boolits. I switched to Ben's Red and the bore stays so purty after shooting them! Glad I found Ben's.

Ben
09-05-2013, 10:41 AM
I have been using the original type with good success. I had some other type in my sizer and put it on my 35 remington 358315 boolits and it seemed to run out before getting to the end of the barrel. It was made for pistol boolits. I switched to Ben's Red and the bore stays so purty after shooting them! Glad I found Ben's.

Glad you found Ben's Red !!
Also glad that is working well for you.

Ben

w5pv
09-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Ben;s loob for me,I have been pushing 200 grain cast about 1800 fps,no leading,good accuracy and the bore shines like a new dime in a dark spot.Thanks Ben for letting us use your formula it works.

pilgrim98908
09-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Glad you found Ben's Red !!
Also glad that is working well for you.

Ben

Casting again after a 20-year hiatus and new to making lubes.

I mixed up a batch of Ben's Red Red per the original recipe and instructions. It turned out very good as to texture and consistency, with no lumps -

But it is pretty darn soft and slippery, so much so that it's hard to handle the lubed bullets. Actually, I wouldn't say say it's too soft, it's just that combination of the two is difficult. The slippery makes me have to hold the bullet quite firmly, which compresses the lube in the grooves until it flows like toothpaste from under my finger. Does that sound to you users like a proper consistency?

Have any of you tried a bit less STP and a bit more beeswax?

Pilgrim

41 mag fan
09-13-2013, 09:32 PM
Pilgrim, that lube looks pink, not red.
Did you add the ingredients by weight or volume?
Also how did you cook it up with it being that slick to you?
Add 5% more beeswax will harden it up some.

pilgrim98908
09-14-2013, 02:57 AM
The color repro in the pic is not spot-on. Th e color is just short really red, a slightly rusty red.

Blending was by weight, measured to the precise 1/10th of an ounce on an athlete's digital food scale. (She doesn't know that.)

1/2 hour of mixing with a whisk at about 200*F estimated - water in the double boiler had bubbles on the bottom of the pan but none rising. Didn't have my digital IR thermometer around at the time.

STP is probably the "slick" factor. I think I'll start by cutting it in 1/2 by weight and see what I get, then harden if necessary as a next step.

Pilgrim

41 mag fan
09-14-2013, 07:16 PM
You take that batch and lube some boolits, let them set out in the air for 24 hrs and it will slightly harden up or for me it was a tacky feeling, that was less tacky after 24 hr dry period.

pilgrim98908
09-14-2013, 07:41 PM
I'll do that. Thanks.

leftiye
09-16-2013, 04:50 AM
Can somene supply me with the formula for Ben's red please. I can't find it with a search, and don't want to read huge threads to find it embedded (formula probly not there anyway). Alternatively, a link to threads about Ben's lube. Thanks, Ted

warf73
09-16-2013, 05:09 AM
24 ozs. = 3 cups - melted beeswax
14 ozs. = 1 3/4 cups - Red N Tacky , heat it..it doesn't really melt
4.6 ozs. = 2/3 cup - Johnsons Paste Wax - melted
2.3 ozs. = 1/3 cup - Dexron II or III ATF
2.3 ozs. = 1/3 cup- STP Oil Treatment

What I found by doing a search, was on page 2 and this isn't directly from Ben's post.

Ajax
09-16-2013, 05:50 AM
What is red N tacky and don't say a velour suit. LOL

Andy

gmsharps
09-16-2013, 06:19 AM
Red and Tacky is made by Lucas and is sold at automotive parts stores in the grease section. It's normally in tubes to fill grease guns. Great lube by the way.

gmsharps

Ajax
09-16-2013, 07:18 AM
Awesome thank you .

Andy

marvelshooter
09-16-2013, 07:19 AM
Can somene supply me with the formula for Ben's red please. I can't find it with a search, and don't want to read huge threads to find it embedded (formula probly not there anyway). Alternatively, a link to threads about Ben's lube. Thanks, Ted
50% beeswax
30% Lucas Red and Tacky
10% Johnson's paste wax
5% Dexron ATF
5% STP

Ben
09-16-2013, 08:08 AM
Here is a photo of what the Red and Tacky looks like in the container :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?166254-Made-more-Ben-s-Red-today

nekshot
09-16-2013, 09:06 AM
the only time I had to clean lead since using Ben's Red was out of a barrel that has a rough spot that scrapes lead like a cheese grater. I left some out in 100 degree heat and sun and it did not slide off boolit or leave a mark on the black paper it was setting on.Works for me, while I ponder alot of issues when looking for a given load for a gun, worrying about the lube is never an issue.

Ben
09-16-2013, 09:28 AM
the only time I had to clean lead since using Ben's Red was out of a barrel that has a rough spot that scrapes lead like a cheese grater. I left some out in 100 degree heat and sun and it did not slide off boolit or leave a mark on the black paper it was setting on.Works for me, while I ponder alot of issues when looking for a given load for a gun, worrying about the lube is never an issue.

nekshot

Like I've said many times before, if Ben's Red didn't fully meet my needs for a pistol and rifle lube, I'd be searching for a new lube. Catch is.......... that I , like you , am 100% satisfied also.

alamogunr
09-16-2013, 09:37 AM
Red and Tacky is made by Lucas and is sold at automotive parts stores in the grease section. It's normally in tubes to fill grease guns. Great lube by the way.

gmsharps

+1 I found it in West Tennessee, so it should be available just about anywhere.

41 mag fan
09-16-2013, 09:31 PM
+1 I found it in West Tennessee, so it should be available just about anywhere.

Pretty much any Napa, Auto Zone, Advance Auto or Farm supply store will carry it.

Ajax
09-17-2013, 05:11 AM
Does Ben's Red need a heater to run in a lubesizer?

Andy

btroj
09-17-2013, 07:49 AM
No heater required.

Ajax
09-18-2013, 05:22 AM
Sweet thank you.

Andy

kbstenberg
09-18-2013, 06:56 AM
A couple of suggestions. Pester 41 Mag Fan some to tell us his different ways of mixing the lube!
2 when you go to take the Lucus grease out of the tube. Take the plastic end off of the tube. Cut the skirt off of the side (leaving as much of the round disk intact) One side of the disk is smooth, place that side against the grease on the same end as you took the plastic cap from. You now have a tight seal to push the grease out the other end.
Now all you have to do is get something that is about an inch in dia. with a flat end to push on the plastic disk.

baker1425
09-18-2013, 07:22 AM
24 ozs. = 3 cups - melted beeswax
14 ozs. = 1 3/4 cups - Red N Tacky , heat it..it doesn't really melt
4.6 ozs. = 2/3 cup - Johnsons Paste Wax - melted
2.3 ozs. = 1/3 cup - Dexron II or III ATF
2.3 ozs. = 1/3 cup- STP Oil Treatment

What I found by doing a search, was on page 2 and this isn't directly from Ben's post.

If my math is working, 50 oz gross and ?? Net?. How many star size lube sticks ballpark? I've been looking for a lube project for fall, this looks doable.

btroj
09-18-2013, 07:25 AM
Figure a solid stick is about 2 ounces of lube. Trust me, that recipe makes a bunch of lube. A few years worth unless you shoot a whole bunch.

ravyynr1
09-19-2013, 04:38 AM
I would like to get a couple ounces of this lube to try out before making a batch. Anyone have extra? I'm willing to pay. Thanks

41 mag fan
09-19-2013, 07:48 PM
I would like to get a couple ounces of this lube to try out before making a batch. Anyone have extra? I'm willing to pay. Thanks

Janesville.....I go thru several times a yr. You send me pm with your address, and i'm sure I can send you about 3 different sample types. They'll be small as I use my old boxes from my molds I get in, but it'll lube up several boolits to try out.