PDA

View Full Version : New Lyman 4500 set up?

BobSanders
09-04-2013, 08:47 PM
So new here I generally find what I'm looking for without asking. But, I'm setting up a 4500 to size and lube .401 boolits cast from a Lee 175 gr. TC mold. Planning on Lyman 460 top punch, along with .401 Lyman die. I'm shooting a SA XDm .40, with 4.5" barrel and trying to get around 800 fps, to make minor power factor. I'm needing lube recommendations. I see Jake's on eBay, but there are too many formulas to choose from. Plus, there may be something better for my application. Can someone send me down the road to righteousness?
Thanks!

geargnasher
09-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Contact fellow member and vendor/sponsors Randyrat (for some TAC #1 lube) or White Label lubes for some Carnauba Red. These are the two top lubes I recommend for the .40.

Some tips in advance, might save you some headaches with this pesky little cartridge and your choice of gun: Use an expander that actually expands the case about .025" deeper than the point where you will seat the boolit, and make certain it is a minimum .399" in diameter. I prefer larger than that and use .402" boolits for most everything myself, but you have to be careful with case tension. .40 brass is hard as nails and will squish boolits undersized causing gas leaks and leading if you don't take special pains in this area. Factory dies made for hard, jacketed bullets won't do it unless you make your boolits very, VERY hard as well. Also, check to make sure your chamber has some sort of throat that is at least a thousandth larger than boolit diameter. I've loaded for two XDs and they both needed their throats reamed to keep from shaving/leading with cast.

You might want to fill all but the top plane of holes in your H-die with lead solder (peen against the "I" ejector to fill the holes) and just align the stop so the single drive band is aligned with the lube holes. The dies can leak lube from the lower sets of holes and it creeps up and goobers-up your bevel bases.

Good luck!

Gear

2wheelDuke
09-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Down at the bottom of this page, there's links to site sponsors. I like www.lsstuff.com

I think anything they carry should handle that velocity.