PDA

View Full Version : Abandon magnum primers in rifles when using H110 and similar powders?

hornady308
09-04-2013, 07:45 PM
I've always used magnum primers when using certain powders in pistol cartridges, such as H110 in 44 Mag, 45LC and 454 Casull. However, when loading for a rifle, in this case a Rossi R92 in 44 Mag, why would a magnum primer be better? Wouldn't the slower burn time that occurs when using a standard primer make more sense when there is 24" of barrel?

MT Gianni
09-04-2013, 08:25 PM
I think the burn time from the mag primer will give better ignition of the powder at start up rather than moving the full ignition further up into the case. With the latter you might get bullet movement first and that is a bad thing. After 5 of your current loads feel where the bbl is the hottest. You still should be getting heat up the bbl but you want to burn almost all of the powder in the case not in the bbl. You want to keep the pressure and hot gasses in the bbl but there should be no burning going on in these calibers, only with rifle cartridges and very slow powders, as I understand things. Even then the burn may not be more than in the first inch. Probably a question for Felix.