PDA

View Full Version : modifying a Lee die set

TRX
09-04-2013, 06:59 PM
I'd like to do an "improved" version of an existing cartridge. Rather than making everything from scrach, I was wondering about buying an inexpensive Lee die set for the base cartridge and running a D-bit up inside to ream it.

Has anyone else done this? Do they cut OK, or are they hardened?

Stephen Cohen
09-04-2013, 08:44 PM
I looked at doing the same, by turning a 30.06 die set into 375 whelen, my gunsmith has done a few and they are hardened and need to be softened. I decided on custom set instead.

TRX
09-05-2013, 06:33 AM
That would give me an incentive to complete my half-finished heat treat oven...

Pacific Tool has threaded, knurled die blanks for US$17, or with your choice of pilot hole diameter for $25. But that's just the outer body; you still have to cannibalize the primer punch and collet, lock rings, and seater die from something else.

Skunkworks
09-05-2013, 05:20 PM
Most dies are hardned and it takes some force to go through the thin layer, after that they are soft as butter. (At least Lee is)

Alan in GA
09-08-2013, 05:39 AM
Lee Collet dies work 'as is' with same round in improved version. They only neck size and the body section is large enough to 'miss' the improved round's body and larger/sharper shoulder.
This is for rimless rounds. Rimmed rounds when improved usually ALSO move the original body forward into what was neck area. 30/30 and 22 Hornet when improved [or K'd] will not work UNLESS you do a 'drill out' in the collet die sleeve.

Wally
09-08-2013, 10:19 AM
I once bought their RGB dies sets in the .223 Rem and the .22-250 Rem....on sale for $10 each. I wanted to convert both to neck size only....so I put a rod in a drill and used masking tape & sandpaper to open up the Body portion of the dies. The .223 Rem went pretty quickly (smaller diameter) the .22-250 took a lot longer, but I succeeded. At the time a single neck sizer sizer die cost over $25.00... It was a most interesting experiment...

Reg
09-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Have modified a couple of Lee dies. They appear to be "gas" or atmosphere hardened and are generally hard as heck. They can be annealed and are then soft as butter. Haven't tried to go back and re harden them .
Actually, with Lee dies, they are cheap enough and they have made so many calibers with a little looking you can find a set used for a few bux and save yourself work.

Green Lizzard
09-08-2013, 11:08 PM
lees sizing dies are pretty hard, i annealed one on my pot burner then drilled it out, did not retreat figured if boolits at 2000 fps dont wear out a barrel as soft as they are i aint going to wear it out pushin em thru