PDA

View Full Version : Cutting to length 22LR cases

n.h.schmidt
09-04-2013, 05:34 PM
I know this is the place to ask this question. What is the fastest /easiest way to cut to length LR cases? I need them shorter than 22 short cases. I can derim them first. I am making them into no11 sized percussion caps. After derimming I have reduced them further in dia in a .183 dia sizer die. Cutting them at any stage has been a lot of trouble. The few I made have worked rather well so far. Hell for stout too.Most could be used again for another go-round.
Thanks
n.h.schmidt

Zymurgy50
09-04-2013, 06:05 PM
might be easier to cut them from Al beer cans......
google "tap-o-cap"

sprinkintime
09-04-2013, 10:17 PM
[QUOTE=n.h.schmidt;2375755]I know this is the place to ask this question. What is the fastest /easiest way to cut to length LR cases? I need them shorter than 22 short cases. I can derim them first. I am making them into no11 sized percussion caps. After derimming I have reduced them further in dia in a .183 dia sizer die. Cutting them at any stage has been a lot of trouble. The few I made have worked rather well so far. Hell for stout too.Most could be used again for another go-round.

n.h. Just what is the length you are trying to come up with? Sprink

n.h.schmidt
09-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Already have the Tap O cap. I'm looking for something better. The much tougher LR case holds more of toy caps blast and forces it down into the nipple instead of exploding out the sides. Plus like all of us here, I like beating my head against the wall. The total length of the cap should be only a little longer than a common percussion cap.I guess that would be 3/16" to a 1/4" long.
I know some here are cutting fired cases to length for bullet making.
n.h.schmidt

MOcaster
09-05-2013, 01:18 PM
How many are you wanting to make? If you don't want too many, you might be able to chuck the cases in a small lathe and cut them off.

sprinkintime
09-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Already have the Tap O cap. I'm looking for something better. The much tougher LR case holds more of toy caps blast and forces it down into the nipple instead of exploding out the sides. Plus like all of us here, I like beating my head against the wall. The total length of the cap should be only a little longer than a common percussion cap.I guess that would be 3/16" to a 1/4" long.
I know some here are cutting fired cases to length for bullet making.
n.h.schmidt

n.h, just was trying out to see how small I could cut the 22 brass at, I can make them .220 all day long and fairly fast. Do you have a lathe? You need to bore a emergency collet out, brass or steel would be best, then use a very thin cutoff blade, around .010-.015 and 600-1000rpm's and you got it made, the smaller the lathe the better. I hope this helps. I was just using swaged 22lr at a dim. of .220 diameter.

n.h.schmidt
09-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the ideas .I should be able to use something here. It seems like a whole lot of effort for something so easy looking. Much harder in reality to get done . That's the way of it for us.Doomed to struggle onward for our passion.
n.h.schmidt

DukeInFlorida
09-06-2013, 08:15 AM
The easiest and most repeatable way to "cut" .22 LR brass to a shorter length is to buy what is called a pinch point die.

This subject came up a while ago, and if you did some googling, you might find that thread. Somewhere in the most recent thread is the name (I can't remember who made it) of a CB member who made a pinch point die for a reasonable cost. Maybe Lafaun?