PDA

View Full Version : .22LR must be made of gold now days

Swamp Man
09-04-2013, 02:49 PM
Me and my brother went to a LGS this morning and asked if they had any 22lr. The guy say yes how many boxes would you like? I asked what brand and price he says Eley Match Grade 50 count 17.99. I said can you say that again he says 17.99 and we have no limit on them. Me and my brother busted out laughing and my little brother told the guy you must be on drugs if you think I'm paying that. Another guy was looking at their rifles and said you got to be joking. The guy hands him back the rifle he was holding and said I refuse to buy from rip-offs and we all 3 walked out. The other guy told us he will never buy a thing from them after hearing how much they wanted for those 22lr. This shop lost 3 customers at once that will never buy from them again. This shop use to be a good place to buy from but they have jumped on the 22lr rip-off list.

Springfield
09-04-2013, 02:55 PM
My local shop is charging 8.99 a box for standard velocity. I hated to pay it but I have an old semi-auto that isn't working properly with the high vel I have and wanted to see if it helped, or is it something else. I could wait a few more months until it all settles down but what the hey, I am impatient and 9 bucks wasn't going to kill me. Just got one box though.

Love Life
09-04-2013, 02:57 PM
I can't shoot dollar bills so when I needed 22 LR ammo I ponied up. Sucked, but oh well.

They sure are proud of that Eley stuff. That is what I had to pony up for, so now my daughter has the finest plinking ammo made!

EMC45
09-04-2013, 03:01 PM
Wal Mart throughout the southeast has Federal "Auto Match" in 325 count boxes for $14.87 if you can find it. When I got mine there were 4 on the shelf. I would rather shoot centerfire, but the kids prefer the rimfire.

USAFrox
09-04-2013, 03:02 PM
Yeah, not only is it gold-plated apparently, but that's IF you can even find it at all. In my area, it's scarcer than hen's teeth. Even when it does come in, our local Academy store breaks up the bricks and won't sell you more than two 50-round boxes per day. Silliness.

How am I supposed to build my billion-round stockpile only two 50-round boxes at a time!? :kidding:

Swamp Man
09-04-2013, 03:15 PM
I still have a few bricks plus but thought I'd see what they may have while I was there. I sure wasn't expecting to hear that kind of price for 22lr but I guess they are seeing dollar signs. I buy most my ammo at Wal-mart but I was there so I asked and got a shock.

Baja_Traveler
09-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Investing in gold and silver is for suckers! When the SHTF the currency of the land will be .22's!

km101
09-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Local Academy has American Eagle .22lr for $2.29/box of 50. I thought that was high until I saw some of these posts!

I've got a couple of bricks of the blue box Federal that have $8.95 price stickers on them, and some Remington that has $7.99 stickers. Glad I don't need more at todays prices!

unclogum bill
09-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Me and my brother went to a LGS this morning and asked if they had any 22lr. The guy say yes how many boxes would you like? I asked what brand and price he says Eley Match Grade 50 count 17.99. I said can you say that again he says 17.99 and we have no limit on them. Me and my brother busted out laughing and my little brother told the guy you must be on drugs if you think I'm paying that. Another guy was looking at their rifles and said you got to be joking. The guy hands him back the rifle he was holding and said I refuse to buy from rip-offs and we all 3 walked out. The other guy told us he will never buy a thing from them after hearing how much they wanted for those 22lr. This shop lost 3 customers at once that will never buy from them again. This shop use to be a good place to buy from but they have jumped on the 22lr rip-off list.

They may be, But maybe not. In the plumbing business the mark up between their price and yours was over 60%. Mark up in the jewelry business was about 100% when I worked at such a store. Real question to decide the rip off is what did he pay for it. In his defense , he had it, and could sell it. Lots of places out here have nothing but empty shelves. Cost of running a store might surprise you. A simple yellow page cost me 500 bucks a month, bet insurance for him is through the roof. He has to match SS payments to employees, sick pay , vacation, taxes, bookkeeper, power, sewer, water. Again , with out looking at an invoice showing his cost, rip off is unfair.

jcwit
09-04-2013, 03:42 PM

For that brand and grade of ammo that price was not to bad.

http://www.champchoice.com/detail.aspx?ID=2328

http://www.championshooters.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=2258&virtuemart_category_id=37&Itemid=111

This ammo is not plinking ammo therefore does not sell for such.

375supermag
09-04-2013, 05:52 PM
Hi...
There has been some .22LR available arond these parts lately at about $2.99/box for 50 rounds. The last week or so they are selling at 6 boxes per customer per day.

Eley is much more expensive.

I just saw the first .22Mag ammo I have seen since December yesterday at a LGS for $19.99/box of 50 rounds. I thought that a bit unreasonable, so I didn't buy it.
I still have several boxes but have resisted shooting any until I could be sure of replacing it.
I will wait a bit longer.

I have plenty of centerfire guns I can shoot until then.

twotoescharlie
09-04-2013, 06:03 PM
local wallyworld had them this AM. Remington golden HP $10.71 for a 225 round bulk pack. limit 3 boxes

TTC

Swamp Man
09-04-2013, 06:19 PM
They may be, But maybe not. In the plumbing business the mark up between their price and yours was over 60%. Mark up in the jewelry business was about 100% when I worked at such a store. Real question to decide the rip off is what did he pay for it. In his defense , he had it, and could sell it. Lots of places out here have nothing but empty shelves. Cost of running a store might surprise you. A simple yellow page cost me 500 bucks a month, bet insurance for him is through the roof. He has to match SS payments to employees, sick pay , vacation, taxes, bookkeeper, power, sewer, water. Again , with out looking at an invoice showing his cost, rip off is unfair. Oh I know all to well the cost of running a business I own a 200 ac. tee/plant farm. However if things get tight I do not hit my customers in the pocket to cover my bills that's why all business should keep a cash reserve. This place is not hurting because they keep increasing their stock all the time. Their other ammo is in line with most ever other place around all expect their 22lr so yeah they are riding the 22lr profit wagon now.

Swamp Man
09-04-2013, 06:27 PM

http://www.championshooters.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=2258&virtuemart_category_id=37&Itemid=111

Another shop about 5 miles away has the same ammo $6 a box cheaper and it's a much smaller shop. That Eley ammo is way over rated unless your shooting a high dollar target rifle or pistol it's not worth buying. I can take just as much game with a box of standard CCI as with Eley and still be at least $10 richer.

Ohio Rusty
09-04-2013, 06:28 PM
I went to a Flea market on Monday - the big swappers day at Johnstown. I only found one guy selling 22's for $50 a brick. He was spouting that was a low price and how 22's are now rare !! That no one can get them and how shortly all ammo will have a nickle tax on every round .... All I could do is laugh. Even my wife laughed at his idiocy. I can load and shoot 38's cheaper than 22's .....
Ohio Rusty ><>

tengaugetx
09-04-2013, 06:35 PM
Ya the merchandise belongs to the store owner and they can sell it for whatever they want....or eat it for that matter.
We consumers on the other hand can decide we don't like being ripped off and can spend our money with businesses who actually appreciate the fact that we are spending our hard earned wages with them.
A local store here tried that BS. There prices were higher than the stuff on GB. Last few times I drove by there the only three cars in the lot belonged the owner, her sister and son. I now drive twenty miles past her store for my reloading supplies.
I think she will be out of business within a year.

btroj
09-04-2013, 06:36 PM
I have a few bricks of CCI Blazer. Anyone want to place a bid?

I should have bought way more when it was 8.99 per 500. I probably have 4000 rounds and shoot very little 22 LR.

Nah, I think I will keep it.

jcwit
09-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Another shop about 5 miles away has the same ammo $6 a box cheaper and it's a much smaller shop. That Eley ammo is way over rated unless your shooting a high dollar target rifle or pistol it's not worth buying. I can take just as much game with a box of standard CCI as with Eley and still be at least $10 richer.

Its not made as a hunting round, that's why its called "Match", you know as in "Shooting Match".

Some of the shooters at the NRA National Metric Smallbore matches used this very ammo, course the prizes ran into the hundreds of bucks.

Regarding to whether its worth buying or not, that is entirely up to you.

http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BSS&Product_Code=A01500

Love Life
09-04-2013, 06:48 PM
I like it. This way I know it is me that sucks when the target has a shot or 2 out of the black...

Swamp Man
09-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Its not made as a hunting round, that's why its called "Match", you know as in "Shooting Match".

Some of the shooters at the NRA National Metric Smallbore matches used this very ammo, course the prizes ran into the hundreds of bucks.

Regarding to whether its worth buying or not, that is entirely up to you.

http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BSS&Product_Code=A01500
Yes I know it's a match ammo but how many of us old redneck type match shoot out in the country areas
which is where the store is? They are playing on the fact that it's closing in on hunting season and people will buy whatever they have to to hunt. However they don't understand a few things I for one won't buy it and many others out here won't either it's only going to cause them to lose customers. But hey that's their choice their business and their customers their going to tick off not mine.

jcwit
09-04-2013, 07:21 PM
It more than likely one of the few .22 LR cartridges he could find to sell. Most regular ammo is unavailable even for the stores to get.

Would you have been happier if he had sold the high priced ammo at a loss?

Gator 45/70
09-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Yes Indeed, I'm one of those guy's who would see a good/fair price on 22lr's and buy a brick or two.
Glad i did this for several year's before all the sky-is-falling hop-laa, Saving this stash for the grandkid's now and for myself I'll be casting the good old 38's when i want to punch a few hole's in paper. Life is Good !

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-04-2013, 08:25 PM
That Eley ammo is way over rated unless your shooting a high dollar target rifle or pistol it's not worth buying. I can take just as much game with a box of standard CCI as with Eley and still be at least $10 richer.
This isn't necessarily true, The big difference isn't the Gun, it 'is' the ammo, but not like you are thinking. Cheap ammo will shoot good about 8 out of ten times, but the other two shots will give you fliers. The spendy stuff is carefully weighed and assembled, then double checked, anything out of a tight tolerance is rejected and put in those cheap bulk packs. That's why it's more expensive. Back in the 90's when HV 22lr was $9 a brick, I was spending $10 per 50 rd box of Match ammo, so today, $18 for that box isn't too bad.

Yes I know it's a match ammo but how many of us old redneck type match shoot out in the country areas
Glencoe is a rural/farming part of my state, we have several clubs that offer league type shooting and IR50. My LGS sells alot of Match ammo.

Why am I responding to your rant ?
While the current 22LR shortage is a drag, don't take it out on your LGS, I am sure he is doing the best he can to get 22LR in.
Jon

Swamp Man
09-04-2013, 08:30 PM
It more than likely one of the few .22 LR cartridges he could find to sell. Most regular ammo is unavailable even for the stores to get.

Would you have been happier if he had sold the high priced ammo at a loss? I wouldn't expect any business to sell at a loss. I wouldn't have bought that Eley even at fair price for Eley because it's over price to began with.

You know I think I remember you saying the resellers selling at a high price was wrong. However you turn around and try to defend a shop for doing the same thing. So which side are you going to play on? Either your against rip-offs or you support rip-offs or are going to play both sides of the field depending on what thread your own?

Swamp Man
09-04-2013, 08:40 PM
This isn't necessarily true, The big difference isn't the Gun, it 'is' the ammo, but not like you are thinking. Cheap ammo will shoot good about 8 out of ten times, but the other two shots will give you fliers. The spendy stuff is carefully weighed and assembled, then double checked, anything out of a tight tolerance is rejected and put in those cheap bulk packs. That's why it's more expensive. Back in the 90's when HV 22lr was $9 a brick, I was spending $10 per 50 rd box of Match ammo, so today, $18 for that box isn't too bad.

Glencoe is a rural/farming part of my state, we have several clubs that offer league type shooting and IR50. My LGS sells alot of Match ammo.

Why am I responding to your rant ?
While the current 22LR shortage is a drag, don't take it out on your LGS, I am sure he is doing the best he can to get 22LR in.
Jon It's not a rant and I'm not taking it out on the shop. The shop is doing it to themselves by over charging for 22lr no natter what brand it may have been it was over priced. I don't use bulk ammo I still have a few bricks plus of Stingers and some CCI M.N.,CCI standard so I'm not hurting for ammo. No gun ranges near here this is all farm land in the area.

MarkP
09-04-2013, 08:40 PM
Depending on what Eley Match ammo it was $17.99 / 50 may not be too far out of line from normal un-inflated prices. I remember paying $10 / 50 in 1995 -96 for Eley Match when evaluating various 22 LR's in my match pistol and rifle. They did shoot quite well but if I remember correctly the Federal Match's shot the best. They were pricey just do not recall. The Federals that have the dimple in the center of the case head.

jcwit
09-04-2013, 08:49 PM
I wouldn't expect any business to sell at a loss. I wouldn't have bought that Eley even at fair price for Eley because it's over price to began with.

You know I think I remember you saying the resellers selling at a high price was wrong. However you turn around and try to defend a shop for doing the same thing. So which side are you going to play on? Either your against rip-offs or you support rip-offs or are going to play both sides of the field depending on what thread your own?

No I'm not changing which side I'm on, nor am I playing both sides.

You are saying Eley is way over priced, not so. You want Cadillac's priced in the Yugo range, or so it would seem.

The Eley ammo you refer to in the 1st post is not a plinking ammo, it is a high priced Match ammo as the price shows and targets show at matches its used in. This is what its made for, and while $17.99 may be on the high side it is not out of line for this type of ammo.

The same holds true with the rifles shot in the matches where this ammo is used. I earlier referred to the NRA Smallbore matches, one of the fellows attending the matches was shooting a single shot Swiss made rifle. In talking to him the barreled action cost $8000.00, broker and import fees $500.00, he then had to have it custom stocked and sights installed. Final cost he claimed approached over $10,000.00. Overpriced? Obviously not for him, and it was not used for squirrels, and likely never saw a box of Remington Yellow Jackets.

You need to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

I have ammo that cost me $28.00 a box for 50 rounds, and targets shot with it show it. Overpriced? No, its for matches. Now if it was CCI std. vel. at $28.00 a box of 50, yup, that would be overpriced. But that's not apples to apples.

If you can't understand this, I don't know how to help you.

jcwit
09-04-2013, 08:51 PM
It's not a rant and I'm not taking it out on the shop. The shop is doing it to themselves by over charging for 22lr no natter what brand it may have been it was over priced. I don't use bulk ammo I still have a few bricks plus of Stingers and some CCI M.N.,CCI standard so I'm not hurting for ammo. No gun ranges near here this is all farm land in the area.

None of those you mentioned are anywhere near match ammo.

Swamp Man
09-04-2013, 09:03 PM
None of those you mentioned are anywhere near match ammo.

Did I say they were? I think you missed a few things in this thread they were over priced period. Keep defending the shop Eley or whoever you want to. Have fun ranting to yourself trying to prove a point because they were over priced no matter what you say.

rockrat
09-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Wholesale cost of that Eley ammo is around $13.50 a box, throw in shipping, you have $14-$14.50/box in it. He is making about $3.50/box, a 25% markup. Most places charge more than that for markup, so he isn't really out of line. Heck, my local farm and ranch store charges 30% markup, IIRC

unclogum bill
09-04-2013, 09:11 PM
Well for all those that want it Lucky Gunner.com has it. Course its 22.75 a box and you pay the shipping. Tell me , when diesel and gas becomes scarce, do you pay more or do without? . Quick internet check shows odd's getting .22 ammo at Cabela's, midway or midsouth being real slim.

jcwit
09-04-2013, 09:19 PM
That is your opinion.

I posted 3 different links showing 3 different companies that sell mainly to target shooters and the prices are essentially in the same price range. They have been in this same price range for the last few years so that alone disproves your opinion. But it is your option to feel any way you wish.

Even with other members here telling you the same thing.

In the final analysis you will never get a Cadillac for the price of a Yugo. Two different fruits entirely.

Dale in Louisiana
09-04-2013, 10:09 PM

When I was entertaining the idea of competing in NRA Smallbore, I experimented with various varieties of match ammo. From a bench with iron sights at fifty yards, Eley Tenex from my old Winchester 52 would make a tiny little cloverleaf if I paid attention to the wind.

Unfortunately, from any legal match position, I couldn't replicate what the rifle and the ammo would do, but the stuff is amazingly accurate. You pay for that consistency.

dale in Louisiana

JLMEMT
09-04-2013, 10:27 PM
I picked up a federal 525 for $29.99 "on special" this week. Not great but better than it has been. They offered a 400 for the same price a month or two ago. I haven't been shooting it much but my dad was worried that he wouldn't have enough for my nephews to shoot last time they were there and I couldn't find any.
Once I checked his closet I decided it wasn't as dire as he made it sound, but they can go through a lot and he likes to shoot it also.

I also am not buying ammo such as Eley at anything close to going prices, but I am cheap and not shooting matches.

Blacksmith
09-04-2013, 11:58 PM
Last week I got my case of 10 bricks, yes it took a while but now I have it. I wasn't expecting it until October so as far as I am concerned I got it early. Yes I now have another case on order.

1 Case Standard Velocity 419ASVSE
Ordered Feb. 21, 2013
Invoice date Aug. 22, 2013
Delivered Aug. 27, 2013

Where did I get it? The CMP of course.
http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/ammo.htm#Aguila22

No I won't sell you any.

Plan Ahead!

Love Life
09-05-2013, 12:02 AM
Ya'll do know that eley ammo WILL kill a squirrel, a cottontail rabbit, and even a big jack rabbit right? It does it very accurately as well. It comes down to a couple things:

1. If you need it, then pay what you have to.
2. If you want it badly, pay what you have to.
3. If you want some, but not right now, then walk away.

As was pointed out, Eley match ammo has NEVER been cheap. $17.00 and change is not out of line for some of the best shooting 22 ammo out there.

I do not believe the store was "gouging" (gasp!!!!), but it is all in the eye of the beholder. I understand that sometimes you have to pay to play.

Love Life
09-05-2013, 12:08 AM
Oh, and you want to talk high priced? Start putting together a long range uber-tacticool rifle. Wait until you pay upwards of $150.00 for just a set of scope rings. Now that feels like being gouged. Ouch!!!

Bad Water Bill
09-05-2013, 03:55 AM
Back in 2007-8 I bought one of the new Savage 22s. At that time I knew several folks that are SERIOUS shooters.

All of them said to try Wolf Match ammo made in Germany. At that time the price was $59.99 per brick.

Yes it is extremely accurate. Check the ammo and the components used to produce it and you will understand why it costs what it does.

If you are shooting for accuracy a brick lasts a long time.

Yesterday or so I checked Midway and yes they are "OUT OF STOCK. NO BACK ORDER". Their price almost 5 years after I got my first brick, $59.99

When AND if I run low the gun will be fed the same as before. No increase after that many years, still a great deal if you want that kind of accuracy and this OLD man enjoys seeing that he can still shoot well enough to get all 5 shots snuggled together even if it is only a 22.:bigsmyl2:

Cmm_3940
09-05-2013, 07:14 AM
:smile::shock::)
I went to a Flea market on Monday - the big swappers day at Johnstown. I only found one guy selling 22's for $50 a brick. He was spouting that was a low price and how 22's are now rare !! That no one can get them and how shortly all ammo will have a nickle tax on every round .... All I could do is laugh. Even my wife laughed at his idiocy. I can load and shoot 38's cheaper than 22's .....
Ohio Rusty ><>

Rusty,

Gotta watch then boys in Johnstown :) I've never seen such a beat up, overpriced collection of firearms.

Back on topic, on the local Ohio scene, Vance Outdoors just emailed out an ad to their rewards club customers for Federal 525 rd bulk pack $29.99.

carbine86
09-05-2013, 08:25 AM
I know what ypu mean i see the cheap all lead rounds going for 10 cents per round. I havent shot any of my .22s in almost a year just saving my 1000 rounds. Hopefully black friday the ammo gods will smile on us.

pdawg_shooter
09-05-2013, 08:26 AM
At a gun show a couple weeks back on guy had 6 boxes of Remington bulk with I think was 525 rounds each. The sign said $75.00 each. When I walked by an hour later, they were gone! That's 14 cents a round!

jcwit
09-05-2013, 09:53 AM
Some folks are desperate, and some folks are fools, then there are those who are desperate fools.

Uncle Jim
09-05-2013, 10:10 AM
I scored big at Walmart last night! I got 3 boxes of Federal AutoMatch 325 rnd for about 20.00 a box and my buddy got me the last 3 boxes of 550 round Federal Value Pack(which I reimbursed him for) at about 25 bucks a box!

shdwlkr
09-05-2013, 10:16 AM
There is an underlying issue with 22 lr ammo
If you have some great if you have none and need, want, or have to have some then the cheapest you can find is a good price.
I wonder when things settle down just how much more we are going to have shell out for 22lr ammo?
I have seen it at prices I would never pay, at prices I might pay and at prices that are pretty much what I was paying.

If you just bought a new 22 lr and want to shoot it you will pay whatever price you have too to get some ammo it is as simple as that. I know one LGS that will sell 2 boxes of 22lr with the sale of each 22lr firearm not because he puts a high price on the ammo which he doesn't but so he has some to sell.

He was talking with me and said that he gets in just enough to be able to sell 2 boxes with each purchase of a 22lr firearm. Makes you wonder with all who make 22lr ammo where it is all going and for what purpose.

Bad Water Bill
09-05-2013, 11:54 AM
When they used to be available how many of us bought more than a brick at a time?

Now I read HERE about folks proudly saying "I just picked up the last 3-5k the store had" and you wonder why the shortages continue? :evil:

ole 5 hole group
09-05-2013, 12:08 PM
Prices in these parts are still reasonable but people are sure "stocking up" for the 2016 run-up I guess. A 525 Remington value pack was $17.99 a couple months ago but the last go-around they were $18.99. As soon as a couple pallets come in they are gone in a day or a day in a half. I think the Federal value pack when available is around the $24.00 mark, which is surprising, as prior to the 1st of the year they were priced about the same as Remington's.

The shortage of primers is what baffles me - I've had my orders in since the 1st of the year and still nothing, although half of it is my fault, as I told them to ship the entire lot (one 30K and the other 20K) as opposed to piecemeal and getting robbed with the hazmat fees.

jcwit
09-05-2013, 12:09 PM
When they used to be available how many of us bought more than a brick at a time?

Now I read HERE about folks proudly saying "I just picked up the last 3-5k the store had" and you wonder why the shortages continue? :evil:

Right! The only time I ever bought more than one brick was if the store was having a heck of a sale on ammo, or if I had to send for match ammo and made it possible to up the qty. for freight charges.

Frankly I haven't purchased and ammo since this madness started.

I have cut back my shooting but it has nothing to do with ammo, everything to do with time and health.

Cmm_3940
09-06-2013, 04:40 AM

The last time I bought .22lr it was two CASES - 20 bricks. :bigsmyl2:

At the time I thought $0.09/rd for Wolf Target Match was expensive.

That was before the current climate, of course...

shdwlkr
09-06-2013, 10:13 AM
Bill
If 22lr ever is available again at a fair price I plan on buying 3 cases so I don't have to wonder where to get my 22lr ever again.
If that is hoarding then I guess I am a hoarder.

shdwlkr
09-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Bill
If 22lr ever is available again at a fair price I plan on buying 3 cases so I don't have to wonder where to get my 22lr ever again.
If that is hoarding then I guess I am a hoarder.

Gliden07
09-06-2013, 11:53 AM
We won't have anymore Annie Oakley's or Ad Topperwien's, or Chief AJ's without affordable 22 ammunition.5000 rounds per day and 32,000+ consecutive hits.

That's what the current administration wants!!! There really is very little manufacturing in this country now. We are a throw away society that is Mortgaged to the hilt with foreign investors!! Until this stops nothing is going to change!

Swamp Man
09-06-2013, 01:40 PM

Now I read HERE about folks proudly saying "I just picked up the last 3-5k the store had" and you wonder why the shortages continue? :evil: Bill I have past up many 22lr because they weren't the brand I like. I found some of those federal target match 325 I picked up one box for my little brother. I could have bought 3 but thought I'd leave the rest for others that may need them. I did the same with CCI standard when I found them unlimited I got two 50 count boxes. Only to hear the guy behind me say "I'll take ever box you got" even though there were others in line. He bought everything and there must have been close to 100 boxes. I haven't been hurt by the shortage I had a few bricks plus when this started and added a few 50 counts boxes to that since. I just stopped shooting them and started shooting my air rifles more to save the 22lr for hunting season. After this mess is over I plan to buy a few cases of my brand but see no reason to buy things I really don't want just because there on the shelves. I hunt tree rats with my 22 air rifles from time to time and may do must of it with them this years.

375supermag
09-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Hi...

I went on an abbreviated gun shop tour yesterday after work at about 5:00PM with my son looking for whatever deals we could find.

One LGS (Trop Gun Shop)is moving, so they are running a big sale on stuff. They have had .22LR ammo lately at $2.49/box of 50 rds (lead RN standard velocity). Limit of 6 per day per customer. They have some other types of .22LR pretty regularly also, mostly target grade Eley stuff(expensive).
They are keeping primers in stock... Federal is running $31.99/thousand one per day for SP. Rifle is a couple bucks more. CCI is about $34.99 for SP,IIRC.

Only one handgun powder container on the shelf...an 8-lb jug of 231...$187.99.

Lots of jacketed bullets from the major manufacturers...prices are holding fairly steady. Cast lead bullets are pushing the $70 per 500 level for bullets in .45cal.

Up the street about a mile or so, at Kinsey's they had 500rd bulk packs of Rem. Thunderbolts at $30.99 each. Quite a few on the shelf. I still have a couple bulk packs of those for plinking so I didn't buy any. If they still have some next weekend, I may put another bulk pack in the stash.
Powders were essentially absent from the shelves...primers were available...Fed SP at $37.99/thousand...CCI at $41.99/thousand.

Both shops have more and more firearms available each week, it seems....both new and used.

Swamp Man
09-08-2013, 03:45 PM
357supermag seems lots of ammo is starting to slowly return I'm seeing lots more rifle,shotgun and some pistol ammo. The one thing that's taking it's time catching up is the 22lr. I noticed a few places now have 22 shorts,22mag and 22 longs on the shelves but the 22lr I think is still going to be a while for this area. I'm still listening to my son and little brother cry about not having any 22lr for hunting season. I haven't told them but I have enough for them to hunt with this season I just know better then to give them to them now. If they still need them I'm going to give them so many on each outing so they don't shoot them all up.

dtknowles
09-08-2013, 04:21 PM
The US needs to be able to over-produce ammo and components. Period!

Maybe you should start a factory.

Tim

Iowa Fox
09-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Call the ammo makers and demand they produce more ammo. Their phone numbers are all listed on the internet. Call them like we would a politician on an issue to vote for. Our country needs to be able to over-produce at times.

I wonder what the manufactures are using for forecasting demand for the coming year. I think they have substantially underestimated demand for at least the last 18 months from what I am seeing. My Son-In-Laws brother is a production manager for Ruger at Prescott so I have a fair feel for the numbers of 22 rimfire they are cranking out. Ruger has just announced the introduction of a new bolt action 22 rifle also. All the new 22s being manufactured every day just from that one manufacturer is putting a lot of new demand on ammo by new first time shooters every day. Its basic third grade math for our domestic manufacturers to figure 24/7 production vs the estimated demand for product from the field. I'm now thinking that the industry (the end sellers) is enjoying the additional profit they are enjoying given the current demand. Warehoused inventory is expensive for any supply chain and that eats into their profit quickly. They are enjoying the increased profit without having to inventory product for more than a few days, why would they want things to change. Anyone here know where the rimfire plants of the world are located in the world beside Aquilla in Mexico? Imports are the only thing I see that are going to take the edge off the current situation and send the message to manufacturers in this country. When I was a younger man we shot Win 52s, Rem 40Xs, and Win 75s. Today we are shooting 10/22s with Kidd, Volquartsen, and Feddersen barrels & parts. They eat piles of ammo.

Wally
09-08-2013, 04:55 PM
My "strategy" is not to shoot any .22 RF until this nonsense is over with. I have a stockpile of .22 RF stashed up, in the meantime I'll shoot cheaper CF cast bullet reloads. The only reason I even have any .22 RF firearms is because of cheap & plentiful ammo...that not being the case, they are out to pasture until this mess is over with.

waynem34
09-08-2013, 05:01 PM
I've sold about half what i had to friends.I'm a center fire guy so I seldom shoot rimfire but I keep it around.I would pick up 22's when ever i get a good deal on them and wound up with quite a bit.Bulk buys at places that would give the plastic ammo can with 2250 rounds. Like dad. I realize times are lean.I kept the good stuff.I'm not hoarding.Im looking out for mine.

Swamp Man
09-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Call the ammo makers and demand they produce more ammo. Their phone numbers are all listed on the internet. Call them like we would a politician on an issue to vote for. Our country needs to be able to over-produce at times.
Bill every time I contact the co's they push the blame on the distributors. They all basically use the same 'form letter" and tell me they can not tell me when ammo will be delivered in my area. They state that that's covered by the distributors and they have no control over when and where deliveries are made. It's got to the point to where it's not worth my time to even contact a co that pushes the blame on others for their poor production control. I will just wait and ride it out and use my air rifles and 410's for small game. I will not be buying any more firearms until they get their act together on ammo supplies. I'd rather invest in Big bore PCP and spring loaded air guns that I have no issues getting supplies for.

Iowa Fox
09-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Bill every time I contact the co's they push the blame on the distributors. They all basically use the same 'form letter" and tell me they can not tell me when ammo will be delivered in my area. They state that that's covered by the distributors and they have no control over when and where deliveries are made. It's got to the point to where it's not worth my time to even contact a co that pushes the blame on others for their poor production control. I will just wait and ride it out and use my air rifles and 410's for small game. I will not be buying any more firearms until they get their act together on ammo supplies. I'd rather invest in Big bore PCP and spring loaded air guns that I have no issues getting supplies for.

They all have the same old line of duplicity down very well. Gross arrogance. Now all the more I want to see a nice shooting line of imports at a fair price and see how smug the domestics are then.

Blacksmith
09-08-2013, 09:37 PM
If you are willing to wait for it decent .22 ammo is available at a reasonable price. If you are qualified you can order it from the Civilian Marksmanship Program.

The CMP sells Aguila standard velocity at $260.00 plus $24.95 shipping per case of 5,000 rounds which is 5.7 cents per round delivered to your door (Alaska and Hawaii slightly higher).

They sell Aguila .22 Target for $385.00 plus $24.95 shipping per case of 5,000 rounds which is 8.2 cents per round delivered to your door (Alaska and Hawaii slightly higher).

The last case I got I ordered in February and I received it in August, I wasn't expecting it until October. They don't charge your credit card until they are ready to ship.

You will need to go through the CMP qualification process and file some paperwork but then you can order various types of ammunition, not just .22, targets, accessories, and even rifles at less than the market price. It is well worth the effort and the profits go to support the CMP programs including the National Matches in Camp Perry.

Here is the link to the CMP Sales Page (many additional items are listed on their E-Store page):
http://www.odcmp.com/sales.htm

The link to the Eligibility Page:
http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/eligibility.htm

Swamp Man
09-08-2013, 10:41 PM
Tomorrow I'm calling some of the firearms makers. Henry, Ruger, for sure.

Funny you mentioned calling Henry because my next two rifles I had planed to buy were Henry but put those plans on hold due to the ammo shortage.

gmsharps
09-09-2013, 12:52 AM
Funny you mentioned calling Henry because my next two rifles I had planed to buy were Henry but put those plans on hold due to the ammo shortage.

I would think this would be the time to buy firearms you are looking for. I have always been of themindset that when on a quest to get a new firearm you get it when it is a available and the cash is right. I have normally never had all three come into play at once. If I have the firearms and ammo available then the money is not there. Just sayin...

Iowa Fox
09-09-2013, 01:06 AM
Tomorrow I'm calling some of the firearms makers. Henry, Ruger, for sure.

Bill I'll be anxious to hear what their response is to you. At Henry you could very well get Anthony Imperato who I have always considered a honest square shooter.

Swamp Man
09-09-2013, 05:36 AM
I would think this would be the time to buy firearms you are looking for. I have always been of themindset that when on a quest to get a new firearm you get it when it is a available and the cash is right. I have normally never had all three come into play at once. If I have the firearms and ammo available then the money is not there. Just sayin... The money is not an issue it's the principle of the matter. Why buy a gun if the co's can't insure you ammo will be available to feed said firearm? A gun without ammo is a club and a poor club at that baseball bats work much better as a club and are a lot cheaper. I know the Henry co don't make ammo but that's beside the point to me the firearm is worthless without ammo. It's the same principle that keeps me from buying over priced ammo. Why should I pay for a shops overhead just because he can't get stock and jacks his prices up? It's the same as a guy that buys bulk packs for $25 and wants me to cover his investment and pay his truck payment. It's a statement to the whole industry get your act together or y'all all lose sells in the long run. The only firearms I'd buy at this time would be mint cond Savage 24's and I haven't seen one in mint cond since I got a new one when I was a kid. Some people call me bull headed and other things because I refuse to go with the flow but I took a stand and I'm holding it until the industry gets it together.

Stephen Cohen
09-09-2013, 06:08 AM
I wonder why the shortages in the States, I don't see any shortages in Australia on 22 ammo. maybe we have it all.

gmsharps
09-09-2013, 06:33 AM
I wonder why the shortages in the States, I don't see any shortages in Australia on 22 ammo. maybe we have it all.

I believe it's panic buying. When words were going round that AR's would be banned most ofthe AR's on the shelves were snapped up. When the ban did not happen supplys have been returning to the shelves. Slowly but they are starting to return. Ammo the same way. Word was that there may be a tax per round, a limit on sales and possibly even a back ground check on sales of ammo. Of course there are the greedy folks buying ammo to jack up the price and resale and dealers trying to captilize on a situation. It will settle down it's just going to take awhile.

gmsharps

gmsharps
09-09-2013, 06:45 AM
The money is not an issue it's the principle of the matter. Why buy a gun if the co's can't insure you ammo will be available to feed said firearm? A gun without ammo is a club and a poor club at that baseball bats work much better as a club and are a lot cheaper. I know the Henry co don't make ammo but that's beside the point to me the firearm is worthless without ammo. It's the same principle that keeps me from buying over priced ammo. Why should I pay for a shops overhead just because he can't get stock and jacks his prices up? It's the same as a guy that buys bulk packs for $25 and wants me to cover his investment and pay his truck payment. It's a statement to the whole industry get your act together or y'all all lose sells in the long run. The only firearms I'd buy at this time would be mint cond Savage 24's and I haven't seen one in mint cond since I got a new one when I was a kid. Some people call me bull headed and other things because I refuse to go with the flow but I took a stand and I'm holding it until the industry gets it together.

Most of the companys that manufacure firearms do not manufacure ammo so I don't see your point. The ones to be punished are the dealers that are jacking prices up and the scabs trying to make a buck on a bad situation. Now's a time to know which dealers are good ones to deal with in the future as the ones taking advantage of us will go away soon enough. The industry as a whole are working full scale to satisfy the demand. If you want to punish folks for the issue we are in get ther right ones.

gmsharps

Swamp Man
09-09-2013, 06:52 AM
I believe it's panic buying. When words were going round that AR's would be banned most ofthe AR's on the shelves were snapped up. When the ban did not happen supplys have been returning to the shelves. Slowly but they are starting to return. Ammo the same way. Word was that there may be a tax per round, a limit on sales and possibly even a back ground check on sales of ammo. Of course there are the greedy folks buying ammo to jack up the price and resale and dealers trying to captilize on a situation. It will settle down it's just going to take awhile.

gmsharps Yes that had a lot to do with it. However the ammo makers were in no rush to increase production of ammo and now it's been almost a year since then and their still in no rush. There should have been new production lines in place after they seen this wasn't going to end within 5-6 months. There has been new firearm factories but not ammo factory that I know of.

Swamp Man
09-09-2013, 07:01 AM
Most of the companys that manufacure firearms do not manufacure ammo so I don't see your point. The ones to be punished are the dealers that are jacking prices up and the scabs trying to make a buck on a bad situation. Now's a time to know which dealers are good ones to deal with in the future as the ones taking advantage of us will go away soon enough. The industry as a whole are working full scale to satisfy the demand. If you want to punish folks for the issue we are in get ther right ones.

gmsharps You don't understand a man having a principle? It's an industry one side can't make it without the other side that's the point.

gmsharps
09-09-2013, 07:10 AM
With the rapid increase of firearms sales over the last several years you would have thought that the ammo guys would have been expanding their production lines a bit to cover the increase of firearms. I know it cost a lot of money to increase production lines with the hopes that customers would buy but it's a fine line between surviving and going under these days. One of the problems is it takes time to increase production with the procuring and installation of new equipment and will the demand be there when the new production lines kick in. I bet the bean counters have looked at the production numbers over the years before they jump on a hopefully temporary increase in demand.

Swamp Man
09-09-2013, 07:23 AM
They must not have taking into account the amount of AR-15 owners that bought kits to fire 22lr as well as all the new 10/22 being bought up ever day. They have had plenty of time to get their act together but they think the demand is going away but it's not going to it's increasing each day.

gmsharps
09-09-2013, 08:50 AM
You are correct. I think they are just gunshy if you will about putting a lot of money into more equipment and getting stuck with it. I think it is the bean counters talking instead of the managers. I'm seeing more Aguila from Mexico coming in the country to meet the demand. CMP is even selling it now. Wouldn't surprise me to see more foreign stuff coming in before long. Don't you think even the bean counters should see that Wolf and Aquila are getting a pretty big share that could be US made ammo instead.

jcwit
09-09-2013, 11:28 AM
They must not have taking into account the amount of AR-15 owners that bought kits to fire 22lr as well as all the new 10/22 being bought up ever day. They have had plenty of time to get their act together but they think the demand is going away but it's not going to it's increasing each day.

But are these "NEW" shooters or buyers even attempting to use them, or are they just satisfied with they fact they have these purchases?

I have seen little to no increase in the use of the ranges I frequent, nor a substantial increase in membership of the clubs I a member of.

jcwit
09-09-2013, 11:30 AM
You are correct. I think they are just gunshy if you will about putting a lot of money into more equipment and getting stuck with it. I think it is the bean counters talking instead of the managers. I'm seeing more Aguila from Mexico coming in the country to meet the demand. CMP is even selling it now. Wouldn't surprise me to see more foreign stuff coming in before long. Don't you think even the bean counters should see that Wolf and Aquila are getting a pretty big share that could be US made ammo instead.

CMP has been selling Aquila ammo for years, it didn't just start since the panic.

Swamp Man
09-09-2013, 03:17 PM
But are these "NEW" shooters or buyers even attempting to use them, or are they just satisfied with they fact they have these purchases?

I have seen little to no increase in the use of the ranges I frequent, nor a substantial increase in membership of the clubs I a member of.
Well my thoughts on that are they would most likely be shooting them if the ammo was on the shelves. As for range use and membership I couldn't tell you. But not everyone that buys guns shoot at ranges I myself have been shooting firearms all my whole life and never once stepped foot on a public or membership range.

Swamp Man
09-09-2013, 03:21 PM
I emailed these 3 questions to Ruger & Henry:

Hello Sir,

I have three questions about ammo:

1). Is _______ Co. concerned about 22LR (or other ammo & components) ammunition availability & affordability?

2). Are 22 rifles sales down because of the scarcity & price increases of ammo?

3). Would _____ Firearms Co. consider expanding into ammo manufacturing?

From Henry:
"Thank you for your interest. We have sold more guns this year than at any time in our history despite ammunition shortages. Scarcity of ammo is due to unprecedented sales and should regulate itself as ammunition manufacturers are working around the clock to fill orders but we have no interest in entering that segment of the business ourselves."
Thanks Bill. Kind of what I thought more and more firearms being sold which will drag the shortage out even longer on 22lr.

Blacksmith
09-09-2013, 04:06 PM

My club has reached its membership limit for the first time since it was founded over 50 years ago and there now is a waiting list. People are complaining about having to wait for a position at the public range on weekends, during the week it used to be shoot by yourself now there usually is someone there.

USAFrox
09-09-2013, 04:16 PM
On Saturdays, if you don't get to the range EARLY, you have to wait in line at my range.

jcwit
09-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Well my thoughts on that are they would most likely be shooting them if the ammo was on the shelves. As for range use and membership I couldn't tell you. But not everyone that buys guns shoot at ranges I myself have been shooting firearms all my whole life and never once stepped foot on a public or membership range.

That not likely to be the fact here in the populated No. Indiana area where I'm located.

jcwit
09-09-2013, 04:32 PM
My club has reached its membership limit for the first time since it was founded over 50 years ago and there now is a waiting list. People are complaining about having to wait for a position at the public range on weekends, during the week it used to be shoot by yourself now there usually is someone there.

Not the case here!

I belong to 3 clubs, 2 out door and one indoor, I'm also on the BOD's at one of the clubs, hence I'm up on those wishing membership, and so far have yet to turn anyone away.

rockrat
09-09-2013, 05:34 PM
WOW, first 22 ammo in 9 months spotted at wally world. At least that I have seen. CCI std vel. $3.59/box

Swamp Man
09-09-2013, 06:02 PM
That not likely to be the fact here in the populated No. Indiana area where I'm located.

I live out in the country on a farm with lots of open space and not many people near me. So things are a lot different then in or near large cities I just walk outside and shoot any time day or night.

Iowa Fox
09-09-2013, 09:10 PM

Stephen, Where is the rimfire ammo you have in Australia manufactured at?

felix
09-09-2013, 09:27 PM
I can use a hundred rounds if someone is gracious enough to find them in their area. Please keep me informed when found so duplicate orders won't take place.
Used as an exclusive tree rat control. Pecan trees need such help. The hawks are too incremental on location to be of service. ... felix

Love Life
09-09-2013, 09:30 PM
What are these "Ranges" ya'll speak of?

USAFrox
09-09-2013, 09:39 PM
What are these "Ranges" ya'll speak of?

We have a gun club in town. 80 bux (40 for military) per year gets your own key to the gate. We have about ten 25-yard pistol ranges, a 75-yard range, two 100-yard ranges, a 200-yard range, and they're working on a 500-yard range. We also have 4 shotgun pigeon throwers on a shotgun range. All outdoor.

Swamp Man
09-09-2013, 09:45 PM
I can use a hundred rounds if someone is gracious enough to find them in their area. Please keep me informed when found so duplicate orders won't take place.
Used as an exclusive tree rat control. Pecan trees need such help. The hawks are too incremental on location to be of service. ... felixFelix for about the same price you could buy a cheap air rifle and a tin of pellets at Wal-mart.

Love Life
09-09-2013, 09:48 PM
We have a gun club in town. 80 bux (40 for military) per year gets your own key to the gate. We have about ten 25-yard pistol ranges, a 75-yard range, two 100-yard ranges, a 200-yard range, and they're working on a 500-yard range. We also have 4 shotgun pigeon throwers on a shotgun range. All outdoor.

Ahhhh. I just go out into the desert. One thing I will say, though, is with the ammo shortage the desert is much cleaner lately...

felix
09-10-2013, 12:10 PM
I know, I know, Swamper! That would be an insult to my late dad's fully equipped Kimber Super America sitting in the closet, not having been shot in three years until now. The thing is accurate enough with those shotshells to intentionally not kill the devils which allow the hawks something to play with instead of the vultures also around here. ... felix

Blacksmith
09-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Felix
.22 shotshells are all they have around here. I don't know if they are the CCI type but I will look next time I am in the gun store and PM you if they are the right ones.

madman
09-10-2013, 01:04 PM
yep 22 ammo is hard to find every where, good thing I stocked up after the first election when it became available again. Stinger is advertized here for 150 bux for 500! The Boy scouts here are looking for donations of ammo so that the kids can get their merit badges. The ranges here are packed with people. the Desert is full of people every where we go there is some one or a group of people out shooting. A bunch of places have been closed to shooting permantly because of a few idiots and their armor piercing ammo and fires and the trash that they leave behind. The largest county in the state is threatning to close to shooting because of all the trash and the damage to the areas from off road vehicles don't get me wrong I ride my atv's but I stay on the trails and go on foot when the trail runs out.

felix
09-10-2013, 01:07 PM
Mucho' thanks, Blacksmith! The CCI's are rare, that's for sure. It seems the production was low to begin with to just test the market for acceptance with/over the crimped type. They are worth the money in comparison when comparing the ease of use in tight fitting chambers. In general, the crimped type seem to be more accurate through. Why? The CCI's are definitely full choke rounds appearing to be dependent upon the "plastic condom particles" left over between shots. If killing is the objective, it behooves to swipe the bore a couple of times with a normal round before shooting the next shot shell. Then, the CCI's are just as killing accurate as the crimpers, and especially so if full choke is warranted for more "yardage". The CCI's sound like a lady-finger firecracker, or bottle rocket pop noise, when using a 22 inch barrel. Cops will not be called if such fireworks are shot off in town on occasion, for example. ... felix

Iowa Fox
09-10-2013, 03:29 PM
Bill I'd say the response you received from Henry & Ruger just firms up what we already know. There is no way domestic manufactures are going to keep up with demand without adding new lines. That all takes time.

Swamp Man
09-10-2013, 04:49 PM
I know, I know, Swamper! That would be an insult to my late dad's fully equipped Kimber Super America sitting in the closet, not having been shot in three years until now. The thing is accurate enough with those shotshells to intentionally not kill the devils which allow the hawks something to play with instead of the vultures also around here. ... felix Oh I see why your after the shotshells now. I only have about half a box of the CCI shotshells left myself. I use them for popping field mice on the farm when I see those little suckers they work great for that.