PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the Lewis Lead Remover

imashooter2
10-23-2007, 07:39 AM
I'm curious to know how many screens come with the kit and how long they last. Are they single use or what?

Yes, I've heard of the Chore Boy method.

testhop
10-23-2007, 08:07 AM
i have used this kit for years you i.i.r.cyou get 3 screens this is a great way to save time in cleaning hand guns
how long the screens last depends on several factors how much pressure youput onit yhe most common way it breaks down is to pull through this causes no problum
so i say go buy it

robertbank
10-23-2007, 08:29 AM
I have one and haven't used it in years. I now wrap strands of Chor Boy 100% Copper cleaning pads around an old cleaning brush and stroke my bore a few times and the lead is gone. Much cheaper and faster than the Lewis Lead Remover. Save your money and go Chor Boy

Take Care

Bob

9.3X62AL
10-23-2007, 09:57 AM
+1 to Robertbank. I have one, but it has seen little service for some time.

fourarmed
10-23-2007, 10:30 AM
I agree that the Big45/ChoreBoy/Girl works better and faster for lead in the bore. The reason I still use my Lewis occasionally is the forcing cone cleaner. You run the rod into the muzzle of a revolver, screw in the truncated cone with a screen, pull back and give it a few turns to remove lead in the tapered portion of the bore.

Char-Gar
10-23-2007, 10:54 AM
The Lewis Lead Remover has been around since the mind of man remembereth not. I have had one for 40 years and have not used it in the last 20 of those years. Save yourself some money and go the other way.

robertbank
10-23-2007, 01:48 PM
Damn near fell off my chair laughing with that last post. Easy on the old boy I got to go pick up my bride at the airport and the heart will only take so much stress and I have plans for what little stress it will take.

Take Care my friend,

Bob

Larry Gibson
10-23-2007, 10:47 PM
Guess I'm the odd man out here. I've had a Lewis Lead Remover for coming up on 38 years or so. Do I use it all the time? No because I try to use bullets that fit and are of proper alloy with a good lube that do not "lead". But alas all that does not always work out. Especially when I fall into a "deal" on unknown alloy or commercial cast bullets both of which can lead horribly. If my normal cleaning regimen does not remove the leading then I reach for the LLR. I forget how many brass screens come with it as I ordered extra ones years ago and I don't really recall the last time I wore one out. I have the attachments for .357/.38, .41 and .45 calibers. Any ways extra screens can easibly be made from the little screens for faucets, available at real hardware stores. I also have a couple boxes of ChorBoy pads and find the LLR works quicker and easier but I do use the ChorBoy in calibers that I don't have for the LLR. I like the LLR and as forarmed mentioned it is great for deleading the forcing cones of revolvers.

Larry Gibson

imashooter2
10-23-2007, 11:46 PM
Well, I can see which way the wind is blowing here...

So, does anyone want to part with that closet clutter on the cheap so as I can learn my own hard lesson? http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/smilies/134.gif

robertbank
10-24-2007, 01:44 AM
I suspect you can get one cheaper new than from me mailing it to you but you can have mine for $10.00US plus another $10.00US for postage.

Take Care

Bob

NVcurmudgeon
10-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Any ways extra screens can easibly be made from the little screens for faucets, available at real hardware stores.

Larry Gibson

Ay, real hardware stores, that's the rub. The Reno area has the two infamous big box stores, and an Ace that is rapidly transforming itself into a furniture store. Carson city has one of the big box stores and a medium sized store that behaves like a big box. Luckily, each city has one endangered Tru-Value store. I always go to one of them first because one can find a real hardware man there. Lumber is your choice of the big box or a lumberyard that would rather not deal with anyone not a contractor.

Larry Gibson
10-24-2007, 04:03 PM
Ay, real hardware stores, that's the rub. The Reno area has the two infamous big box stores, and an Ace that is rapidly transforming itself into a furniture store. Carson city has one of the big box stores and a medium sized store that behaves like a big box. Luckily, each city has one endangered Tru-Value store. I always go to one of them first because one can find a real hardware man there. Lumber is your choice of the big box or a lumberyard that would rather not deal with anyone not a contractor.

And so it seems are going the "real" gunshops.

Larry Gibson

shooter93
10-24-2007, 09:05 PM
For what it's worth...Wipe-out has come out with a foam lead remover. If it works as well as the one for copper it will be perfect.

imashooter2
10-24-2007, 09:23 PM
I suspect you can get one cheaper new than from me mailing it to you but you can have mine for $10.00US plus another $10.00US for postage.

Take Care

Bob

Does it have a .38 attachment? $20 would actually be a couple of dollars savings. I sent you a PM.

imashooter2
11-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Well I got Bob's LLR in the mail yesterday and tried it out today. Easy to use, 2 pulls and the lead was gone. I like it!

snowwolfe
11-09-2007, 01:52 AM
What is the "Chore Boy" method?

imashooter2
11-09-2007, 07:56 AM
What is the "Chore Boy" method?

Get a copper scouring pad, the common brand is "Chore Boy". Pull off a few strands of the copper and wrap them around a worn bore brush so that it fits tightly in the bore. Use as normal. The heavy copper turnings from the pad will cut out the lead.

Beware cheap imitations that are copper plated steel.

Blackhawk Convertable
11-10-2007, 10:26 PM
I just want to add to the "Chore Boy" posts. I use a cleaning rod chucked into my cordless drill. REALLY goes fast in cleaning pistols, especially revolvers.

trk
11-10-2007, 10:36 PM
I have 2 - one in .38 and the other in 44 or 45.

Don't use them often - but when you need it you NEED it!

Screening material can be purchased in BULK from places like McMaster-Carr much cheaper than the original.

You could make your own -

waksupi
11-10-2007, 10:53 PM
I just want to add to the "Chore Boy" posts. I use a cleaning rod chucked into my cordless drill. REALLY goes fast in cleaning pistols, especially revolvers.

You just scared me! Long straight strokes, yes.

Rotational cleaning? Yikes! Methinks this may not be good upon yon rifling!

Three44s
11-10-2007, 11:51 PM
GASP! ............. power and rotational are words around bores that gives me HIVES!!!!!

Hand power and longitudinal stokes in bores!

I do spin my chamber brushes and forcing cone cleanouts BY HAND though.

Three 44s

spurrit
11-11-2007, 01:43 AM
Try the "Tornado" or "Cyclone" brushes. They're made of square extruded brass or bronze wire wrapped in a spiral sorta configuration. ONLY use them one way. All the way through, clear, all the way back. My Sig 220's barrel leads up worse than any gun I've ever had. Definitely needs fire lapping. These brushes create a small pile of lead at my feet when I use them.