PDA

View Full Version : Handles for 429244

mattd
09-04-2013, 02:07 PM
I just got a 4cav 429244 from another member. I was thinking my lee 6cav handles would work but they are way too thick to fit in the slots. Do I have to get a 40$ pair of Lyman handles?

GLL
09-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Break out that file (or grinder) and thin down the arms of a LEE 6-cavity set. Remove metal from the bottom of the arms only ! Work slowly and check frequently for fit so they do not become "sloppy" !.

Jerry

mattd
09-04-2013, 02:14 PM
I like that answer. Thanks. How do I know the bottom of the handles? Or is it which ever side I take metal off is the bottom.

What kinda fit am I looking for? Tight, press in or easily take in and out?

GLL
09-04-2013, 02:26 PM
As long as you take the metal off of one side only (each arm) it is fine. I place the "ground" side on the bottom of the mold. Use a nice slide in fit but you will need to adjust for each individual mold so nothing binds as you close the mold. LEE handles are not exactly precision tools no matter what the title of the company ! ;)

Be very careful if you use a vise !!!!! LEE handles are sintered (powder) metal technology and break easily when stressed. The reason some other handles are more expensive is that they are machined steel. Red River Rick's KAL makes beautiful handles !

Jerry