PDA

View Full Version : 9mm rimfire shotshell

dnotarianni
09-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Anybody know what shoots this round and who might want to buy it? Got a case of 250 brand new gathering dust
Thanks
Dave

Bent Ramrod
09-04-2013, 04:50 PM
I think there was a smoothbore Winchester bolt action (Model 36, maybe) that fired that round. There was also a 9mm ball cartridge that looked like an oversized BB cap that worked in such guns. I've seen Flobert-type guns at gun shows in 9mm rimfire very occasionally. I have a tin of the RWS ball ammo around somewhere; was hoping to use it in a .38 RF Remington rolling block but it is much too small.

The 9mm shot cartridge was supposedly for taxidermists and stuffed bird collectors. Also to shoot plumage birds for ladies' hats in the pre WWI era.

Maineboy
09-05-2013, 02:18 AM
My brother is in possession of an Italian made single shot 9mm rimfire that was passed down from my father and he may be interested. How much are you asking? It is the first gun I ever fired.

texassako
09-05-2013, 08:15 AM
I have seen those guns being sold as garden guns, usually by a German or Belgian maker. For keeping the bunnies out of the veggie patch I guess.

jlchucker
09-05-2013, 12:51 PM
I think there was a smoothbore Winchester bolt action (Model 36, maybe) that fired that round. There was also a 9mm ball cartridge that looked like an oversized BB cap that worked in such guns. I've seen Flobert-type guns at gun shows in 9mm rimfire very occasionally. I have a tin of the RWS ball ammo around somewhere; was hoping to use it in a .38 RF Remington rolling block but it is much too small.

The 9mm shot cartridge was supposedly for taxidermists and stuffed bird collectors. Also to shoot plumage birds for ladies' hats in the pre WWI era.

Back in the late 1960's, Winchester/Olin did make a smoothbore that was intended for use in an indoor trap or maybe skeet game that they were going to promote--kind of like bowling alleys only for shooters. I forget now the name that they coined for this scheme, and although I worked at the New Haven facility at the time, if I ever saw one or more of those guns while walking through the plant, it was something I didn't pay attention to. I don't think the scheme caught on. I don't think they even had one of those ranges in the New Haven area. The idea was mentioned in Olin promotional fliers, and maybe in Winchester catalogs, but beyond that, I don't think I ever saw or heard any more about it.

Bent Ramrod
09-05-2013, 04:50 PM
jlchucker,

I think that was the "Mo-SKEET-O," made to compete with or succeed Mossberg's "Targo" game. Both use the .22 birdshot cartridges. They used miniature clay pigeons at a distance of feet. Even by then the 9mm shot cartridge was obsolete in this country.

Can't find the article on obsolete cartridges that included the 9mm rimfire. It was in one of the old Gun Digests, I think, by Ken Waters or Henry Stebbins.

jlchucker
09-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Back in the late 1960's, Winchester/Olin did make a smoothbore that was intended for use in an indoor trap or maybe skeet game that they were going to promote--kind of like bowling alleys only for shooters. I forget now the name that they coined for this scheme, and although I worked at the New Haven facility at the time, if I ever saw one or more of those guns while walking through the plant, it was something I didn't pay attention to. I don't think the scheme caught on. I don't think they even had one of those ranges in the New Haven area. The idea was mentioned in Olin promotional fliers, and maybe in Winchester catalogs, but beyond that, I don't think I ever saw or heard any more about it.

Could be, Ramrod. I don't really remember much about it, except seeing mention of it in Olin newsletters. I had thought that they came out with a gun and some specific ammo (not 22 birdshot) for this venture but I could be wrong. It was an indoor clay pigeon game, though--and they were going to do it with a family-based sort of a theme, with dining facilities, etc. I don't know where, if anywhere, they did it, though. The name "Mo-SKEET-O" doesn't ring any bells, nor does "Targo", but I really wasn't paying much attention to that part of Olin's efforts back then. I was only there for a couple of years, and was laid off when Winchester moved the New Haven ammo department to East Alton, IL where they ended up doing all of the ammo manufacturing.

jlchucker
09-06-2013, 06:16 PM
This subject has been nagging my brain all day. A vision came to me while mowing the lawn--I remembered the name of the Winchester game--it was called Wingo. I looked it up on Wikipedia. Sure enough. The whole thing was described in detail. The only range (if you want to call it that) was in San Diego in the early 1970's. The setting is described as kind of luxurious, where organized teams, for a dollar a round per person, shot at discs made of ice, kind of in skeet fashion. According to Wikipedia, you had to use the range's guns, and buy the ammo on the spot. Those were a Winchester creation, in 20 caliber, specially conceived to avoid people bringing their own 22's and rat-shot ammo. They even had a lounge area where you could dine while waiting for your turn. This whole thing must be didn't fascinate the public at large any more than it fascinated me. Wingo. Google it for more info.

09-08-2013, 06:15 PM
We still see a few 9mm rimfire shotguns over here in the UK although they're not common now. Most usual are the basic single shot bolt action type but some times I see a nice "proper" little break barrel shotgun in 9mm. To be fair, the performance is poor, way below a four-ten. They are know here as the Number 3 garden gun, the .22 smoothbore is the Number 1 garden gun.

Eddy's Shooting Sports
10-21-2014, 11:04 PM
Sorry for the necropost.

9mm rimfire shotshells were used in, amongst others, the Winchester 36 single shot bolt action shotgun, made from 1920-27.

Do you still have the shells? I'd be interested in buying the.

Cheers!

Greg

KCSO
10-22-2014, 12:16 PM
Dixie had the shells and I think Graf's had them at one time. I am down to just one box of Fiocchi right now so I can't help.

NoZombies
10-22-2014, 10:00 PM
Midway carries them as a seasonal run. Out now, but usually get some in the springtime.