PDA

View Full Version : neck expansion for cast 7.62x39

injuredminnow
09-04-2013, 11:47 AM
I've exhaustively read these forums looking for an answer but I still don't get the process. To this point I've only been reloading 9mm steel cases, successfully. Now I want to reload 7.62x39 steel cases with cast bullets. I'm using .315 cast slugs (because I've rarely found an SKS or AK that actually slugs to .311. How do I seat a fat bullet without shaving or squashing it? My plan is to buy a Lyman 33 cal neck expander (M die) and turn it down to .314. Then after seating the bullet I would very lightly crimp it into place. I know better than to make the beginner's mistake of squashing an over-sized bullet during the crimp process.

I have countless berdan primers and I have no problem depriming steel cases; I've done it with 9mm. I'm really just confused about neck expansion. With a steel case do you think I could expand it to .314, bell it, then expect the .315 bullet to seat without it squashing? Would I need to even crimp? I appreciate your time. Oh, and let me bitch about the fact that reloading companies don't seem to address the casting crowd. They make products that are really only fit for jacketed reloading. Are there only 25 of us casters in the whole world that understand the cost benefit of lead? Is it so hard for Lee to make a 9mm die set that properly loads .358 bullets?

Brett

Mike 56
09-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Try using a Lee universal flaring die then use a gas check and size it with a Lee .314 sizer. I will know more next week i am going to load some 7.62x39 steel cases myself. I have been loading .313 160 gr bullets with gas checks in brass cases. I have been using a .314 sizer to crimp the gas checks. They load fine in the brass cases. I have been giving them a good roll crimp they shoot good in my SKS.

Outpost75
09-04-2013, 01:41 PM
For expanding my 7.62x39s with cast I use an RCBS .32 S&W Long expander plug. Works for me!

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/MainServlet?storeId=webconnect&catalogId=webconnect&langId=en_US&action=ProductDisplay&screenlabel=index&productId=4713&route=.C09J050N027

sagamore-one
09-06-2013, 07:07 PM
I suggest you contact Buckshot of this forum as he can and will make you any size expander plug you desire .
Next option is Hornady... who recently supplied me with a .315 expander for my 303 british . 1-800-338-3220 and ask for customer service.

geargnasher
09-06-2013, 09:43 PM
RCBS makes a universal die body for which you can purchase cast boolit expander spuds in a variety of diameters. These spuds have a very, very faint taper to them and also a flaring shoulder. Buy the die, threaded rod, lock nut, and spuds separately.

Gear

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-07-2013, 10:13 PM
I've done two different things. I've have Buckshot make custom powder-thru expander plugs for Lee PISTOL powder thru expander dies.

for rifle...if you have the ability to 'turn' some steel. you can buy cheap expander plugs to fit the Lee universal flaring die from 'track of the wolf' They are most of the way there and fairly easy to modifiy, even on a drill press and almost as cheap as plain stock. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/1216/1/NECK-EXPANDER-PLUG

for those FAT boolits, flaring is NOT enough, I believe it's best to 'expand' the case to within .002" of the boolit.