PDA

View Full Version : Best state for non-res do-it-yourself elk hunt?

BigboreShooter
09-04-2013, 10:26 AM
In 2007 and 2011 my son and I went to Idaho elk hunting. We went on our own, in the River of No Return wilderness area. We seen a few elk, but the wolves have ruined it.
In those 2 hunts ,we spent 22 days camped in the mountains. At no time did we hear a elk bugle, day or night!!
I was just wondering if anybody had any suggestions?
The reason we chose that area because get the permits.
We need help!!!!
BigboreShooter

Bo1
09-04-2013, 11:20 AM
We usually go to Colorado. about 6 of us travel from Louisiana, and meet around 10 or 12 people in early to mid October for the first rifle hunt. Most of the others in camp are from Colorado, and a few from surrounding states. It is a great time, and we usually see quite a few elk. We are usually arriving at the very end of the rut, but still manage to hear some bugling in the evenings.
Bo

gkainz
09-04-2013, 05:25 PM
"There are no more elk in Colorado. It's all just a dirty rumor spread by CO DOW." :D

clodhopper
09-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Were your 22 days of camping during bugleing season?
Elk need a longer guestation period than deer. With calving season in late May early June.
Bulls are running around with an agenda in mid to early Sept.

Wolf population strong.

The woods full of guys with elk bugles, even if you were in the woods for the rut, elk habits are changing.

BigboreShooter
09-05-2013, 09:07 AM
Clohopper,
Yes we were there during bugling season. The season opened on Sept. 15. We were in camp about the 12th.
BigboreShooter

clodhopper
09-05-2013, 10:26 AM
They should have been looking for cows while you were there.
When I first came to Montana, (1978) Elk hunting was high priority. I hunted mosty by my self and was out every weekend for the five week season.
Did not even see one until the fourth year, took two more seasons to get my first.
I can't tell you the best state for non resident do it your self elk hunting as I have only hunted elk in Montana.
It sure ain't what it used to be here on the north side of Yellostone Park.
I did read in the newspaper this week Montana Fish wildlife and parks was planning to raise lisence fees, and looking at structural changes to enhance revenue.

w5pv
09-05-2013, 10:43 AM
If I remember correctly,I read that elk were at one time native to most areas in the US.It seems that Feds wanted to restock something why not elk instead wolves.

Djones
09-05-2013, 10:47 AM
I am from Indiana. I have hunted in CO three years for elk. Two with a bow and one with a rifle. I only hunted public land. I saw elk (cows, bulls, calfs and spikes) every year. I had one shot with my bow on a young satellite bull. Needless to say I didnt connect. The third year I went with my rifle I saw one legal elk and I took her, a yound cow.

From what I can gather the older bulls know better than to bugle. The young bulls that bugle will get way too many hunters attention. They learn fast to not bugle or die.

Good luck,

David Jones

Ehaver
09-05-2013, 10:59 AM
I am trying to go this year, so I will let you know later!

starmac
09-05-2013, 11:19 PM
How is the elk population holding up in the Gila Bill??

Three44s
09-06-2013, 12:24 AM
The 100 head of Rocky Mountain elk in my hay fields are as native to this area as railroad box cars are!

That's how they got here in Central Washington.

Money drives everything!

The hunters in the early 1900's wanted a new sport. First the counties and later the State profited from licenses sold. The farmers caught it in the shorts and there was a big backlash.

That prompted a grand deal. The state built elk fences to protect the farms and sold more licenses. The herds were better managed for many years through selective cow hunts.

It worked well.

But then the WDFW got EVEN more money hungry and the Legislative cap on the Yakima herd of 3,000 head expired.

About ten years ago, WDFW's own numbers placed this same herd at 15,000 .........

Tell me that makes sense?

After another uproar, they have reluctantly reduced the herd to around 11,500 ........ they claim it's 9,500 but privately boast 11,500 head. The lower claim is to appease us farmers. The boasting is to boost tag sales.

Treat everybody like mushrooms .... feed them BS and keep them in the dark!!

NOW .... as was pointed out ..... Washington State has fallen in love with another invasive species .... the Canadian Rocky Mountain wolf!

And that ladies and gentlemen is going to EAT from one side of the too large of a herd of elk for the resources to the other!

One invasive species eating another ..... a crude and cruel form of biological control. WE, the ranchers have tried and tried to reason with WDFW and they refuse to listen.

When we point out that our state is somewhat unique in that we have a much larger human population and an extensive array of game fences ......... and several feeding stations .............

......... AND that all of this is going to make one $%$%# of a mess when the wolves come calling to those feeding stations with tall fences ......... our so called experts lie and tell us that other areas have such structures with wolves and elk .........

SO during one such meeting an illustrious member of our Wildlife Commission was telling such WHOPPERS ...... staff from the folks that were getting fed the line of BS snuck out and CALLED those very entities and they LAUGHED ........ said NO .... we have no feeding stations and game fences ........

AND one wonders why folks "trust" government so well?

Go figure!

Three 44s

MT Gianni
09-06-2013, 10:19 PM
You are talking do it your self but I would be hesitant to go on a guided hunt in much of the Northern Rockies either.

Slow Elk 45/70
09-08-2013, 11:28 PM
OK, so lets have a season on left wing liberals. We could feed the wolves with the product of the new season and maybe save a few elk and deer in the process...[smilie=1:

grubbylabs
09-09-2013, 01:06 AM
When I first moved to Idaho elk were every where, now wolves are every where. But don't worry the poor wolves will adapt and find something else to eat.

deep creek
09-09-2013, 08:55 PM
theres still elk in s.e. idaho this year letting us shoot and trap 5 wolves so maybe we can stop a few of them from eating elk! been dyeing and waxing my traps today.i think thew best bait is fox as they have ate several i have trapped right down to the ground.

Idaho Mule
09-10-2013, 12:39 AM
deep creek, I hope you get a bunch of 'em. JW

Idaho Mule
09-10-2013, 01:12 AM
Bigbore, sorry about that, now I will attempt to give you a better answer. The wolves that we have been so graciously gifted with have pushed elk out of the more remote areas in Idaho and down into lower farming country, for the most part. Although "antler-less" hunts are not so cool, they can be very productive. Idaho has many opportunities for early season antler-less type hunts and it sounds like you are familiar with Idaho regs. so I would suggest looking into that aspect of things. I know that Idaho has charged pretty heavily to non residents so that must come into consideration as well, but over all I think it could still be a good deal to you. Obviously it will take some homework on your part as you would most likely be hunting on or near privately owned ground. This takes some talking and diplomacy for sure, but is still do-able. I hope some of this can help you and also wish you the best of luck in your pursuits for elk, be it wherever. JW