PDA

View Full Version : The US Long Range Team is leaving today

Boz330
09-04-2013, 08:03 AM
Not sure how many of you are interested in the LRML results but here is a link to catch the scores. http://www.bpsu.co.za/
The match is being held just outside Capetown South Africa. Three good friends of mine are on the team and have been shooting pretty well. The Team Captain is Lee Shaver and another notable on the team is Dave Gullo. The match doesn't start till Monday the 9th. The South African Team has dominated the last 2 world meets but there is some good talent on the US Team and they have been practicing hard so it will be interesting.

Bob

waksupi
09-04-2013, 11:11 AM
Looks like we are well represented with Lee and Dave.

Fly
09-04-2013, 11:13 AM
Thanks Boz you know I like to keep up with it.

Fly

fouronesix
09-04-2013, 11:57 AM
Good luck to them- they have represented the US very well in the past. They can't do much about the wind but the "winyards" are a different story.

Boz330
09-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Good luck to them- they have represented the US very well in the past. They can't do much about the wind but the "winyards" are a different story.

So are you familiar with Stellenbosch?????????????? Spent a really nice day there sampling the wines of SA years ago, and they have some really good wine. I highly recommended it to my friends while there.

Bob

GunSlingerNM
09-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Thanks Boz, I wish them the best of luck. No Skill in the match.

fouronesix
09-04-2013, 06:56 PM
Oh yes. Not much of a wine drinker but RSA is diverse and one of the most beautiful countries on the planet. A friend lives in the interior and when he's not PH-ing, runs a small private tour business. They always include Cape Town-Eastern Cape as part of the loop.

Just checked the weather in Cape Town and looks like about 60'F highs with prevailing 15-20 mph out of the SE. The humidity looks blackpowder favorable but there will be some windage comp.

mooman76
09-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Good luck to them all!

Boz330
09-05-2013, 08:22 AM
Oh yes. Not much of a wine drinker but RSA is diverse and one of the most beautiful countries on the planet. A friend lives in the interior and when he's not PH-ing, runs a small private tour business. They always include Cape Town-Eastern Cape as part of the loop.

Just checked the weather in Cape Town and looks like about 60'F highs with prevailing 15-20 mph out of the SE. The humidity looks blackpowder favorable but there will be some windage comp.

I worked in SA back in 82 and 83. Lived in Jo-burg but visited Cape Town during the Christmas Holiday period. Actually drove 9600 KM all over SA and Namibia while on holiday. If I would have had my choice of places to live it would have been Cape Town. They do get some bad weather there during the winter where as Jo-burg is severe clear for the entire winter.
SA has a very diverse geography for such a small area and it all has it's attractions. I loved the country and people but it isn't the country that I lived in, now. The economy is in the dumper and eventually firearms will be extinct. When I accepted the job down there the SA Rand was worth US $1.17. Right now you get 10 Rands for a dollar. Black Powder cost the guys $250 per Kilo and I believe caps were $60 a hundred or something like that. This will be the last time the SAs will be able to host the world champs because the government has put restrictions on how much BP can be imported. If they had the entire year's allotment for the country it wouldn't be enough to run a world meet.
It is a shame to watch, yet another, African country go down the tubes. The continent is probably the richest in the world for natural resources and the people can't even feed themselves. Gold is the highest price in history and SA has the largest deposits anywhere in the world and there currency is 10 to the dollar. When I was there the Rand was so valuable because that was the last time that gold was really high.
Sorry rant over.

Bob

fouronesix
09-05-2013, 12:19 PM
Absolutely right. Very sad- sickening actually. True for most all of sub-Sahara Africa. May sound like it's wandering off topic of the thread/forum, but really isn't as it relates to corrupt govts., DC, the UN and our Second Amendment. I could likewise rant about it to the point of forum banishment. Better zip my lip.

Boz330
09-11-2013, 02:07 PM
A couple of the guys are doing OK but the South African team is pretty much kicking butt. One of my buddies did pretty well in the individual original rifle mid range matches, with a silver and a bronze.

Bob

fouronesix
09-13-2013, 04:39 PM
Been following right along and now about a day to go. Looks like the US team is making a good showing nonetheless. Be interesting to see how final numbers look.
http://www.bpsu.co.za/9th%20MLAIC%20WC/Results/23.html

fouronesix
09-14-2013, 01:19 PM
Looks like the final results show Lee Shaver 1st in 800m replica and the final standings for Long Range Team are 1st RSA, 2nd USA, 3rd Germany. The final results for all the categories are posted on the above site. All in all a fine showing for the US!

Boz330
09-14-2013, 04:56 PM
I know the guys wanted to do better, but it is what it is. The 15th of August through the middle to late September is the windiest time of year down there and they were only about 10 miles inland from the South Atlantic. Then they are shooting on the home range of the South African Team as well.
The next world meet is at Camp Butner NC.

Bob