PDA

View Full Version : My new loads

Animal
09-03-2013, 06:29 PM
.357 magnum 4in barrel M66

12.4 grains of 2400 fed sp. and a 158gr lead RNFP. I used a heavy crimp with the Lee 3 die set (turned the die in 3/4). I spent the last weekend working up this load and found 12.4 does best in my gun and my ability to shoot. I used a lube with 60% beeswax and 40% Vaseline with a green crayon for color. I found this load to be accurate from a rest so I made several more for play. I put 42 more rounds down range and had some of my best grouping at 20 yards. There was a good amount of unburned (greyish black) powder, but it didn't seem to cause any issues. I learned about this being an issue before I opened the bottle. This might be the best load that I've shot thus far.

Today I worked up several loads of Blue Dot. Same bullet, lube and crimp but with a CCI 550 primer. Between 9.0gr and 10.0gr, I found the sweet spot somewhere between 9.4 and 9.6. I had no leading with 9.4 grains. My accuracy provided 1in group with a rest at 15 yards. I noticed about the same amount of unburned powder as with the 2400. I haven't heard of this being an issue with Blue Dot, so I'm wondering if I did something wrong. With 9.4 grains, the recoil was very manageable. I'll work up another 42 next weekend to see if I still like the load...

Next on my loading spree will be Australian bottled IMR-4227. My Lee Modern Reloading 2nd Ed (pre-revised version) only provides this load as 'compressed' and gives no starting load... what gives?

If I don't blow up my gun and hand with the 4227, I'll work up a few WW296 afterward.

I'm still a bit wet behind the ears when it comes to reloading. I guess I'm just posting thoughts... nothing specific. Feel free to chime in if you have any experience that you care to share with these loads...

Animal

PS Paul
09-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Animal, do you only have 42 pcs. of reloadable brass to use?

Animal
09-03-2013, 06:55 PM
No, I have more brass. I just keep that 42 aside for testing purposes. I keep track of their times fired and they all have the same headstamp. This way I can eliminate problems with brass when working up loads. I have maybe 200 more, but I have no clue how many times fired and they are mixed... I'll use those for general target practice.

PS Paul
09-03-2013, 09:25 PM
Ha. OK. Reading your posts, it appeared to be you started with 50 only, then lost 8 along the way!!

Well, makes good sense. I never mix brass after shooting. Ever. Keeps me safe.

williamwaco
09-03-2013, 10:14 PM
"unburned" powder is normal with 2400.

I don't have any personal experience with Blue Dot.

Since they are both Alliant double base powders, they will probably act the same.

That said, close inspection under magnification will disclose that those "unburned" flakes are in fact burned ash.