PDA

View Full Version : New Girl

700CDL
09-03-2013, 02:54 PM
Hi, checking in.

I've been loading bullets and boolits for about 13 years. I think it's time for me to learn how to cast my own. I have a press, lots of dies and everything I need to load ammo but I don't have any casting equipment yet.

09-03-2013, 02:58 PM
Hiya Cutie! Welcome to the forum, I know you'll like it here. :mrgreen:

USAFrox
09-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Welcome to the forum! You mentioned that you don't have casting equipment yet - do you have a plan for what you want?

w5pv
09-03-2013, 03:17 PM
Have fun and enjoy welcome to the addiction

PS Paul
09-03-2013, 03:17 PM
Welcome aboard, 700! No doubt you've been lurking for a little bit like a lot of us did?

Well, I bet if you poke around swap and sell and post some of your needs to get started, you'll get some opportunity to get what you need at good prices along with ALL the good info you'll require to get started on the right track.

You should be able to reduce the learning curve about 15 years from the wealth of knowledge here.
Paul

country gent
09-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Welcome to the addiction. Read some of the stickies, study up on it all. Ask questions. You didnt state what calibers you are interested in casting for? What the intended use are? Plinking Hunting formal target shooting? But above all there is very good information on this site for all who wish to learn. Again Welcome

mroliver77
09-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Hiya Cutie! Welcome to the forum, I know you'll like it here. :mrgreen:

Hey now, none of that here! :shock:
J

EDIT: I didn't notice she is a girl. What was I thinkin? Carry on soldier!

2nd EDIT: No offense 700CDL. :bigsmyl2:

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-03-2013, 03:31 PM
Welcome 700,
you have found the right place to learn about casting. Lots for a beginner caster to read here. I joined this forum the day I thought I wanted to start casting, I read stuff everyday here for many weeks, while I gathered equipment and scrap lead. At about the 6 month mark I cast my first boolits. It probably doesn't take most people that long, that's just my story.

be sure to get a copy of the Lyman "Cast Bullet Handbook: 4th Edition" Book
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/867465/lyman-cast-bullet-handbook-4th-edition-book
IMHO, it's the best published book out there for us casters.
Good Luck,
Jon

PS, I have an acquaintance in Evanston WY, if you're familiar with the people in that town, He is a reloader, but I don't think he has gotten into casting?

km101
09-03-2013, 03:36 PM
Hi there! Welcome to the forum.

If you are just starting out, the first thing I would suggest is: Read, Read, READ! You can learn more by reading the existing threads and using the search function to gather knowledge. Once you have a good grasp of the process you can ask questions to fill in the blanks. After you have acquired a little knowledge you can make much better decisions as to what type/brand of equipment you need.

700CDL
09-03-2013, 04:10 PM
Hi everyone, thank you for the welcome. I plan to do a lot of reading and searching on the forum. My friend 2400 also recommended Lyman cast bullet #3 book. I plan to pick up casting supplies as I come across them and know what I'm looking for.

I'm interested in casting for my handguns & rifles.

My best friend from high school & college lives in Evanston.

I look forward to learning a lot from all of you, feel free to pass along your favorite tips & tricks on casting.

Charley
09-03-2013, 04:16 PM
You have to start casting, it is a moral imperative!

turmech
09-03-2013, 04:22 PM
I would recommend this book as well as the Lyman manuals already mentioned. Best part is it is free for downloading. And Welcome to the forum.
http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

bangerjim
09-03-2013, 04:26 PM
I lived in Ft. Bridger at one time in my checkered past!

Better get ready for some c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-cold weather soon. And hope they don't close the Sisters too many times.

Casting is fun. I drop hundreds at a time and load when I get the chance. And shoot even less regular.

Good luck on finding that Lyman #3. I gave up and bought the lastest #4 version at one of the big gun "toy stores" here in AZ.

If you ever have any questions, just ask here. Everybody is friendly and ready to jump in with answers (and opinions) on just about any topic you can dream up! [smilie=p:

bangerjim :guntootsmiley:

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-03-2013, 04:52 PM
I'm interested in casting for my handguns & rifles.
...feel free to pass along your favorite tips & tricks on casting.
While Loading for handgun isn't much different for home cast boolits, Loading for Rifles "successfully" usually takes a bit more information about your gun...especially if you have an old warhorse you want to light up. Here is a great sticky on that.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?158805-Just-a-few-tips-for-new-rifle-casters

slim1836
09-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Welcome to the addiction, it will only get worse. Read a bunch, lots to learn, ask as needed and the answers will come.

Slim

fryboy
09-03-2013, 05:29 PM
so ... if 2400 is your friend and ... he calls you cutie .... either you really are or his taste may be biased :P ok kidding aside with your chosen nick you may have to remind gunloadmaster when you achieve the rank of "boolit man" that you're a boolit lady ;) yes'm there's a few here so you're not alone with a bunch of rough uncouth men
indeed casting is or can be just as addicting if not more than shooting ( we wont even mention the mad lube scientist yet but .. that too can be just as addicting ) aye , there's too much knowledge here to soak up in one day or even a few weeks so take your time and above all else be safe ! and btw ? welcome to the forum ( cutie or not :P )

Dean D.
09-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Welcome 700CDL, you've found the best place on the net bar none to learn your new hobby. Plus, folks here are downright friendly and helpful!

1Shirt
09-03-2013, 05:37 PM
Always glad to see another female on this forum. We can use a whole lot more of them here! If you need help in getting started in casting, loading, shooting cast, you have come to the right place! Just ask! Will probably get more advice than you need, if there is such a thing! Welcome!
1Shirt!

Win94ae
09-03-2013, 06:09 PM
Hey now, none of that here! :shock:
J

EDIT: I didn't notice she is a girl. What was I thinkin? Carry on soldier!

2nd EDIT: No offense 700CDL. :bigsmyl2:

LOL! Now that's funny!

runfiverun
09-03-2013, 07:00 PM
there are a few casters in the southwest area of wyoming.

"the valley" isn't too far from bear river or rock springs.
we have members in both places.

d_man2
09-03-2013, 07:05 PM
What type of calibers/guns will you be reloading cast for?

MrWolf
09-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Welcome to the site. As others have said, read, read, read... That is what I am doing.

gandydancer
09-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Welcome girl. learn how to work this site. and you will find all the information you will ever need. and read read read. and ask ask ask. most here will be glad to help. gandydancer.

Recluse
09-03-2013, 11:42 PM
there are a few casters in the southwest area of wyoming.

"the valley" isn't too far from bear river or rock springs.
we have members in both places.

First time I ever saw Wyoming was in '80 headed to Utah on PCS orders. Spent the night in Rock Springs, stayed in a little tiny mom & pop motel and ate at the Pizza Hut that was right next door to it. What I remember is how friendly the folks were when they found out I was in the service and heading to my next duty station. The motel didn't charge me and some perfect strangers at the Pizza Hut sprung for my supper.

After getting set up in Utah, I quickly discovered that they only had 3.2 beer--but that Evanston was only a couple of hours away and they had real beer, and at better prices than what you could get it for in Utah. Many a bootlegging run was made to Evanston.

Enjoy the forum and don't be afraid to holler out for help.

:coffee:

USAFrox
09-04-2013, 12:05 AM
Always glad to see another female on this forum...
1Shirt!

"Another female"? 1Shirt, are you admitting something? ;-)

Bad Water Bill
09-04-2013, 04:07 AM
At r age perty don matr no mor.

Girty an I sez howdy an welkum ta r hapi hom.

Pul up a log grab a kup ov mud an enjoy.:bigsmyl2:

shdwlkr
09-04-2013, 10:02 AM
Welcome and be prepared for this to become an addiction that just won't you go.
I started almost 50 years ago now and there have been some breaks in casting over the years but the acquiring of molds, lead, knowledge, etc never has stopped.

You can look in used book stores, fleabay(ebay), do a search online and sometimes a lyman's #3 casting manual shows up. It is much better than the new one and covers more calibers the new one doesn't, even has some bullets weights the new one doesn't have.

If you have a question ask here first there are a lot of knowledgeable folks here.

41 mag fan
09-04-2013, 10:30 AM
At r age perty don matr no mor.

Girty an I sez howdy an welkum ta r hapi hom.

Pul up a log grab a kup ov mud an enjoy.:bigsmyl2:

Been hitting that Gin again George???

Bad Water Bill
09-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Been hitting that Gin again George???

WhO ME ? :bigsmyl2:

Sensai
09-04-2013, 11:08 AM
Welcome, don't let these crazies drive you off, they're harmless. Well, no I guess they're not, in a true sense. Welcome anyhoo!! [smilie=w:

1Shirt
09-04-2013, 11:57 AM
Only admit that we need more women on this forum! Some people have a twisted sense of humor!
1Shirt!

mroliver77
09-04-2013, 01:08 PM
If you would let us know what you shoot or want to cast for maybe we could help you out a bit. Most of us have extra tools that we would rather gift to a new caster than sell.
Jay

onceabull
09-04-2013, 02:21 PM
I would be in Wyoming(Sheridan/Buffalo area) if my first wife had moved there instead of here while I was carrying the flag in France..(.I can't remember her name..) [smilie=s: Onceabull

700CDL
09-04-2013, 06:38 PM
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I will be casting for 22-250, 223, 243, 7-08 & .308 rifles. 45 ACP, 40 S&W, 38/357 and possibly 9mm. As you can see I'll need serval different caliber molds so I plan to start with the 45 ACP & 223/22-250 rifle.

runfiverun
09-04-2013, 08:58 PM
the 45,38 and the 7-30 cal rifle will be the easiest to learn with.
the 22 rifles are time consuming and require a level of ocd, the rewards and satisfaction are higher though.

USAFrox
09-04-2013, 09:14 PM
Yeah, I'd save trying the .22 mould until you've got a good bit of experience casting. The smaller the bullet, the more difficult it is to get keepers. I was told to start with the bigger bullets, and am really glad I did. I started with .45, and effortlessly made nearly 400 keepers my first session. Then I tried .30 cal and .22 cal bullets. Much harder as they got littler.

Bohica793
09-04-2013, 09:19 PM
As someone who has just started casting in the last couple of months I can say from experience that this is VERY addicting, VERY gratifying and that the information to be had among this bunch of....er....fine, upstanding individuals is PRICELESS.

As many have already stated, get the Lyman Cast Handbook (I have the 4th and am searching for an old copy of the 3rd for giggles) and read Fryxell's "Ingot to Target" until memorized. There is just too much good information there.

Lastly, buy a notebook and document EVERYTHING. Keep detailed records of everything you do. Keep up with, not only the bullets you make, but the load workups using them and the results. It may not seem important now, but someday you will want to remember something that happened once before.

mroliver77
09-04-2013, 09:26 PM
I agree with waiting on the .22 until you have the feel. I can send a little care package of boolits for you to load if you want.
Jay

leeggen
09-04-2013, 09:31 PM
Welcome to the addiction! Just remember Missory and joyous time love company. Sometime casting is frustrating and other times it is joyous. everyone here will cry with you and laugh with you. great bunch of men and women. Oh this addiction will not save you money!!!
CD

Bad Water Bill
09-04-2013, 10:21 PM
Here is something that will take a little time to create but I am never without.

Divide the space between the red line and the top of a 3 x 5 CARD IN 1/2.

in the top space GUN-------CAL-------BOX #-----TEMP----WIND----SUN-- SHADE
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NEXT LINE l#lBULLETlWTlCASElPRIMERlPOWDERlWTlFPSlCOALlDATEl
------------------------------------------------------
NEXT LINE l1l Dog Tnl24 lFC....lCCI......lH332.....l11.l.....l.......l.... ....l
NEXT LINE l2l...........l....l........l...........l......... ...l.....l.....l.......l........l
thru 10

turn the card over and divide in 10 sections
1l_________________lOl_______________________
mark the location of each shot as you shoot them 1----5 and any comments as you shoot that group

Fold the card in 1/2 after you load the box and place it on top of your loaded cartridges. CLOSE THE LID

After you get home you can store the cards for future reference even 10 years later.

Once you have finished creating your first card copy it till you can fill your copier screen.

Save your first copy as the MASTER and run till you have enough to last a long time.

Hope this helps some folks.

Bohica793
09-04-2013, 10:32 PM
I actually use a four column accounting book for this opened flat so I can use two pages at once (8 columns). For me it is easy to keep up with and you put them on your bookcase for reference when full and get a new one. I get them for $1 each at the local Dollar Tree.

Blacksmith
09-04-2013, 11:27 PM
Welcome to the insanity. I recommend all new members read this thread start to finish to get the flavor of the group.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?24972-Loob-grooves-for-sale

9.3X62AL
09-05-2013, 12:00 AM
700 CDL might be the best-looking bolt rifle ever assembled by Remington--I applaud your choice of nom de plume. Your intention of entering The 3rd Dimension of Reloading--boolit casting--is another smart move. I'm about dog-tired of waiting on component makers to get their act on one stage. Reduced dependency on that lot is a good thing, indeed.

Ajax
09-05-2013, 06:49 AM
Welcome 700. You have found the right place. You won' t find a better lots of people. Advice is given freely and factually. Please share your experience with casting and shooting them with threads so we can follow your progression and help if needed.

Andy

TCLouis
09-05-2013, 11:21 PM
Welcome aboard 700.

What calibers/cartridges are ya shooting cast out of?