PDA

View Full Version : Tru Line Jr. to 7/8-14

KCSO
09-03-2013, 12:26 PM
I recently converted my double linkage Tru Line to 7/8-14 thread so I could use it to load samll pistol calibers. First a warning, the Tru Line isn't storng enough to load rifle calibers unless you neck size only, and I wouldn't do this to a single leverage press as they are neck size for pistol too.

That said it wasn't too bad a job taking about 2 hours of lathe time and a good 4 jaw chuck. I started by mounting the plate on center in the 4 jaw and used the back or bottom face of the plate to true up the front of the plate and remove the little humps for the small dies. This left me with a smooth topped plate with the center shank the same size as the top washer (1.440 this clears Lee lock rings) . I then centered each of three holes and bored them out to .780 and then roughed in the threads on the lathe. I then cleaned up the threads with a 7/8-14 tap and painted the top red to match my Spar T. The turning down of the center hole exposes the spring recess for the detent spring so I turned a samll guide to fit in the hole and drilled it out to take a new 1/4" spring, leaving room to let the ball ride up in the recess. It works like a champ and makes a dandy turret press now for all the samll pistol calibers. If anyone want's to do this I have the pictures of the finished plate and dimensions of the parts handy.

I left my plate with one standard tru line hole as I have a universal decapper I run in that hole.

IROCZ
09-04-2013, 02:02 AM
Nice work. I was given one of those years ago. Really cool little press, mine is set up for 30/06 and .270 Win. Just a neck sizer and seater for each. I have not used it for any thing but it is really cool. I've heard you can still get these 310 sized dies but they are expensive.

44Vaquero
09-04-2013, 04:09 AM
Nice work! They truly are a great little press, I swapped out my turret plate last year and have mine set up for .32 Magnum. I do have to say Hornady new dimension dies beat the stuffing out of the old 310's. I kept the old dies and top plate for sentimental reasons.

Let's see an assembled picture!

ballistim
09-04-2013, 03:13 PM
I started reloading on this press, always wished there was a way to use standard dies!

44Vaquero
09-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Ballistim, Where there is a will, there is a way. Not having ready access to a lathe, I opted to purchase one ready made.

It really is an enjoyable press to use, like my friend Seagiant says "Old presses have a soul"!

ballistim
09-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Brings back memories of my youth!

HeavyMetal
09-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Guy on E bay used to sell Turrets for this press, bought a 6 hole for mine and was very happy with the end result.

Sadly I can't find him any more, guess the market was not what he thought, Planned to buy an 8 hole turret for my All American, which he also advertised but never got around to it.

If someone knows where and if this guy is still doing these plates, as well as other press related components, perhaps a sticky could be made to assist us all in upgrading good press's to excellent ones!

44Vaquero
09-07-2013, 03:48 PM
HeavyMetal,

This question comes up every few month, usually when the answer has dropped so far into the past a search does not turn it up quickly.

I have his contact information if you are still interested in the 7/8 x14 tool turret heads.I have referred many people to him in the last 2 years. Shoot me a PM and I will send it to you.

JAP

HeavyMetal
09-07-2013, 07:30 PM
PM sent to 44Vaquero and thanks in advance for the info, sorry if I hijacked the thread.

44Vaquero
09-07-2013, 09:03 PM
HeavyMetal, PM replied to. Good Luck.