PDA

View Full Version : Any pictures of wood rifle cases?

texassako
09-03-2013, 11:09 AM
I am thinking of making a wood carry case for my new Pedersoli Sharps. I have found a few pics and could use my Al Freeland box for my Martini as inspiration. Wondering if anybody else has made or owns one? I am thinking fairly slim, not to chunky, since the rifle already weighs quite a bit.

Skipper
09-03-2013, 11:47 AM
http://www.treetobox.com/riflecases

http://www.cal-graf.com/products-page/boxes/

I am thinking of making a wood carry case for my new Pedersoli Sharps. I have found a few pics and could use my Al Freeland box for my Martini as inspiration. Wondering if anybody else has made or owns one? I am thinking fairly slim, not to chunky, since the rifle already weighs quite a bit.

375RUGER
09-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Those are just nice, but what kind of case do you carry those in so they don't get banged up?

john hayslip
09-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Croft Barker who usually writes material for the Single Shot Exchange has had an article or two on boxes for his Sharps. I've talked to him a couple of times on various things and had very pleasant conversations. His home is in Flatonia, Texas - about half way between Houston and San Antonio. He has published some books and may have the boxes in one.

cisternkat@yahoo.com
208 263-6953

Whiterabbit
09-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Those are just nice, but what kind of case do you carry those in so they don't get banged up?

hehe. You make sure they are built out of solid wood, not veneer ply. Just sand and rub in new oil. good as new!

nekshot
09-04-2013, 04:05 PM
I made this one for my poor mans double rifle project. I used bland cherry that I have in aboundance on the sides, finger joined and a nail down thru joint to help hold it together if dropped on a corner, ply sides for strength factor and my wife got the green felt at a sewing store. I want to put leather handles on yet but didn't get around to it yet.

nekshot
09-06-2013, 08:14 AM
you gotta be kidding, no other wood cases here?? I made cases years ago for extreme shipping and I used aluminum angle (1 1/2 x 1 1/2) and big rivets with 1/2 inch washers for the frames and 1/4 real good plywood for the rest. They were very strong and reasonable in weight. I don't have them any more but have been thinking of making some again to put a gun, reloading gear and some components in the box. Thinking of how to pass this stuff on to next generation and keep the work put into the gun reloading wise complete with notes.
nekshot

texassako
09-06-2013, 09:33 AM
you gotta be kidding, no other wood cases here?? ...

I guess it is the same here as my internet picture search. A few boxes that are to nice to bang up, and one or 2 that could actually stand up to a dent or scuff. I might need to make one like yours for a Remington Model 8 since they are take down rifles. Your mention of using aluminum angle gives me an idea, which can be scary sometimes!

Whiterabbit
09-06-2013, 11:36 AM
you gotta be kidding, no other wood cases here??

well sure, for SHIPPING, but a crate doesnt have to be nice like you were implying.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=56036&d=1355633328

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=56035&d=1355633306

Big difference between making something UPS-proof and making a fine carry case like yours.

nekshot
09-06-2013, 11:44 AM
yay!!!! Looks good and solid and you have room for all the goodies!

Whiterabbit
09-06-2013, 12:01 PM
I sent it to one of our own, Smokemjoe, so he could send me one of his flintlock muzzleloaders. Arrived without a scratch, and an amazing firearm.

lancem
09-06-2013, 07:33 PM
I've made several in the past, typically hardwood sides with matching 1/4" ply for the faces, lined with velvet over cutout foam. I made one for a friend that was made to take a beating and still look good, used maple for the sides and plain cheap 1/4" ply for the faces, rounded the edges with a 3/8" round over bit then covered the outside with 10 Oz cotton duck, using polyurethane as the glue, sort of paint through the cloth and as you get to the edges pull tight and keep on painting and pulling until you have it wrapped under the edge. Give it 3-4 more coats waiting for each to dry, made for one tough case, best part was that for whatever reason the standard duck cloth which is sort of an off white turned a nice dull green when it was finished, couldn't have came out better if I had planned it. Always used a full length piano hinge and always put some type of metal corners on to protect them, need to make something for my O/U, may try that again.

Just Duke
09-07-2013, 12:28 PM
I might have a few pics.