PDA

View Full Version : Pin Gauge Sale

Mal Paso
09-03-2013, 11:05 AM
For those of you sitting on the fence MSC has a sale on Pin Gauges.

NL86463023 is a 250 piece Minus set from .251-.500 for $84.99. This is the import set I have that pops up from time to time. Their reg price $204.76. I bought mine from Grizzly ($80) who no longer sells them. Not Perfect but you should already have a micrometer to double check.

If you have more money the Vermont Gauge set is $199 / $60 off.

I have no affiliation with MSC but really like my pin gauges.

Oreo
09-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Thanks for posting this. I'm curious, could you measure the same thing by making a chamber cast and putting a mic to that?

alrighty
09-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Thank you for the link , I have been thinking of buying one for a while now.I do have a question on how to determine boolit fit with these.I get the part about finding the largest pin guage that will slide through the barrel without being forced but how much over this should you plan on sizing your boolit.
Say a .308 pin guage will be the largest that slides through , how much over that should one go to get a good seal.Is there a set standard measured in .001's or do you have to do a percentage?I can see a .224 not needing as much over as say a .458.
I have always just measured a fired case and loaded to that size but I would like to learn how to use these.Thanks

john hayslip
09-03-2013, 02:11 PM
You have two diameters in a rifle bore. Bore and Groove. Bullet diameter is based on groove diameter and you get it by slugging barrel with a lead slug and measuring the largest diameter. Pin gauges won't help here because the rifling is in the way.

Sensai
09-03-2013, 02:17 PM
Revolver throat size is where pin gauges shine. They are good for any inside hole sizing, but for us, they are most beneficial in checking throat sizes. As has been said, a good slugging can't be beat for determining best boolit fit.

Gtek
09-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Even the offshore (being nice) is not real cheap $, I have used for years with all my projects and cannot imagine not having them. Set up, barrels, throats, cases, cyl's, trigger jobs, assembly pins, on and on. Keep them clean and lubed and they will out live you! Gtek

fecmech
09-03-2013, 07:47 PM
Enco has the 250 pc set of either +or- for $79.and ground ships free orders over$49. Just got their catalog today.

dragon813gt
09-03-2013, 08:39 PM
Enco has the 250 pc set of either +or- for $79.and ground ships free orders over$49. Just got their catalog today.

Part #? I can't find it on their site at that price.

ipijohn
09-03-2013, 08:55 PM
Would this be it?

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=JR616-8130&PMPANO=0678644&PMKANO=360&PMKBNO=3162&PMPAGE=42&PARTPG=INLMPI

dragon813gt
09-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Thank you. I find their website to be awkward to find items on. It wasn't showing the discounted price when I was looking earlier.

Moonman
09-03-2013, 09:20 PM
ipijohn,

The one pictured in your link is the PLUS .0002 set. (WRONG SET)

Below that pictured set is the MINUS .0002 set. (THAT'S THE ONE YOU WANT.)

If you want to SPLURGE, buy both sets and measure everything within their range.

Good measuring stuff to have around, especially if you're into revolvers.

alrighty
09-03-2013, 09:49 PM
You have two diameters in a rifle bore. Bore and Groove. Bullet diameter is based on groove diameter and you get it by slugging barrel with a lead slug and measuring the largest diameter. Pin gauges won't help here because the rifling is in the way.
Thank you , I recently read an article about using these for determining boolit fit in a bore.One particular article mentioned using either lead for slugging or using pin guages.That is what I could not understand how that will help determine your particular rifles groove depth to ensure a good fit.I have even read some posts about using pin guages but I never could understand how they used them for barrels.
I do understand how they would work with checking throats.

Cadillo
09-03-2013, 10:03 PM
I would caution all to opt for the Vermont gauge set, even though they are more expensive. I bought a set of the imports from Grizzly, and had to return them for a refund as they were WAY out of spec. For instance the 0.452" pin mic'd at 0.4505", which was verified with two different micrometers. I then bought a set made by Vermont, and they are spot on.

If you ever need a pin gauge, you need it to be sized as marked, not sort of close, but correct.

Mal Paso
09-04-2013, 09:49 AM
To be accurate, I have found 1 pin so far out of 250 in my import set that was miss marked. It's not a size I use. At some point I may order a replacement, $3. At the time I would not have spent $200 on the set and do not regret the purchase. If this works for you get the Enco set with free shipping. I posted because I had not seen these available in a while.

If you have the money Cadillo is correct, Vermont Gauge is better.

Watch out though, after you measure your throats, you'll start measuring chambers, grooves to figure depth of rifling, your reloading dies, and take them with you when looking at a new gun.

Sensai
09-04-2013, 10:30 AM
I had to laugh Mal Paso, I think that I've done all of those and maybe thought up a few more. Kinda like your first micrometer, suddenly precise measurements become VERY important! :-D

Cadillo
09-05-2013, 12:29 AM
I had never even heard of pin gauges until just before I bought mine. Now I wonder how I ever managed to work with cast bullets without them.