PDA

View Full Version : RCBS 32-98 SWC Won't Chamber When Seated to Crimp Groove

superbee
09-02-2013, 09:56 PM
I was a little dismayed to discover that when the this bullet is seated to the crimp groove it will not cycle through the action of my Marlin 1894CL. It is evidently a little too long as the nose gets hung up and can not be lifted to the chamber.

If I crimp on the band ahead of the crimp groove will this have a negative effect on accuracy?

John J
09-03-2013, 06:58 PM
Greetings

I will try and answer your question..it should not...I would lighten your load before seating deeper and then work it back up.

I flush seat and roll crimp my 32swl as they are used in a autoloading pistol.

I would recommend you get an expander that will expand your brass the length/depth of your bullet

Hopes this helps

John J

runfiverun
09-03-2013, 07:10 PM
that might work.
i would just measure things and trim the brass back.

NoZombies
09-03-2013, 07:16 PM
I agree that trimming brass is probably the better bet.

tomf52
09-03-2013, 09:38 PM
I shoot this bullet almost exclusively in my Marlin Cowboy and have no issues with feed. My Starline cases are trimmed to length with the Lee trim gauge which makes cases about .005 shorter than book specs. Perhaps this is what is making the difference.

superbee
09-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Thank you for your responses and suggestions.

that might work.
i would just measure things and trim the brass back.

I am a little embarrassed that I had not thought of trimming back my brass :oops:. My Starline brass is trimmed to 2.85", which is already below trim length suggested by most manuals. An online Accurate manual states that minimum case length is 2.75", so I will see if that will shorten the round enough to enable it to be cycled through my rifle.

runfiverun
09-05-2013, 12:57 AM
there is manual trim length and what works in your gun.
i have a 308 i try to "lengthen" the necks on so the case length is 2.15 i generally neck down 358 win brass for it, or make I the brass from longer cases.
when i got my 375 supermag revolver i couldn't find any real information on case length and such, so i measured the cylinders lengths and started whittling down a case to fit.
then I made a dummy round from that case and tried it in all the cylinders.
then I spent the rest of the day making 49 other cases.