PDA

View Full Version : "Working" on Labor Day

TXGunNut
09-02-2013, 03:54 PM
Anyone else working today? I'm stuck here at work, all my clients are off and there's next to nothing to do....well, almost nothing. :wink:
So far I've placed a Rotometals order, finally finished up and placed a Midway order and if I can find figure out what I want on the Brownells site I'll put an order in there. Maybe I should go put my wallet in my car before this gets out of hand. :bigsmyl2:

Love Life
09-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Yep. Working on labor day here as well. I have to get busy counting ad packaging!!!

geargnasher
09-02-2013, 04:00 PM
I worked half a day, but had pre-arranged to take off the afternoon to provide some "adult supervision" of the crew pulling my water well. Yeah, they were working on Labor Day too. But now we're all done, I have water again (hooray!!!), and by now everyone should be home drinking beer.

Gear

btroj
09-02-2013, 04:07 PM
I had today off, I worked Memorial Day and Independence Day instead.

Gear, glad to hear you have water. Go shower, we are noticing an odor up here.......

pipehand
09-02-2013, 04:13 PM
Worked 8 hour instead of 10. Took off early @ 3. Just popped the top on beer #2. It's hot out here.

starmac
09-02-2013, 04:15 PM
All labor day means around here is I don't get paid. lol Just like other major holidays.

Three44s
09-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Baled hay this AM.

I'll help my wife unload firewood when she arrives with it ......

And then I'll be "off" ...........

So I guess it's a Semi-Labor day?

Best regards

Three 44s

LocoFixer
09-02-2013, 04:26 PM
I will be going in at seven this evening. Hanging out with the kiddos while momma is at work

Ben

justing
09-02-2013, 04:29 PM
i've put in my 8 hours today no such thing as a holiday as a line cook. at cracker barrel:cry:

Mal Paso
09-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Fixing the fuel tank on my Diesel work truck, so ya, I'm working.

starmac
09-02-2013, 04:33 PM
I only ever had two 8 hr a day jobs in my life. One when I was 14 stocking at a grocery store, and the other when I was in the operating engineers union, I drug up within 3 weeks on both of them. lol

Ithaca Gunner
09-02-2013, 04:51 PM
I'll be going in at 8 tonight, had yesterday off. I work Sun-Thurs.

redneckdan
09-02-2013, 06:16 PM
Got called in for a fan balance this morning. Yay more comp time I probably won't use! Oh well, just happy to have a job any more. Back home unemployment in my age group is near 20%.

shooter93
09-02-2013, 06:19 PM
I work most any day I have work or a job needs finished to a tight schedule including Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter etc. I own the business though so I take off at odd times then which actually works well for Colleen and I.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Today, I finished up a 2 day project of pressing apple cider. I had 13 five gallon buckets full of apples to press. Today was mostly processing into jars and cleanup, still took several hours.

ultramag
09-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Just another day here too. Work, work, work.

starmac
09-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Got called in for a fan balance this morning. Yay more comp time I probably won't use! Oh well, just happy to have a job any more. Back home unemployment in my age group is near 20%.

The way I understand it comp time is illegal in Alaska, if they want you to work, they have to come up with the moola.
Same way with overtime, it is after 8 hrs in a day whether you work a 40 hr week or not.

redneckdan
09-02-2013, 10:11 PM
The way I understand it comp time is illegal in Alaska, if they want you to work, they have to come up with the moola.
Same way with overtime, it is after 8 hrs in a day whether you work a 40 hr week or not.

I am salaried. Classified as overtime-exempt.

starmac
09-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Yup you be screwed. lol

lars1367
09-02-2013, 10:35 PM
Yup. The whole family was working. Even our 18 month little man was helping bag up brass! We are catching up with all the back orders from when we were on vacation. I wish we could have made it to the beach one last time before school starts, but these orders won't pack and ship themselves.

Superfly
09-02-2013, 10:35 PM
Got the Semi loaded with 30 5x6 round bales of rhy grass straw going to head out when kids go to school. I miss my kids already

DIRT Farmer
09-02-2013, 11:57 PM
The oil wells have to be ran 7 days a week and the cattle checked and fed, the one milk cow milked, picked enough green beans to fill an order. I did take the rest of the day off. Then this evening went to the new directional well they are drilling in the lease to agervate the crew.

Lead Fred
09-03-2013, 12:11 AM
Sittin at my desk as I type.

Just another day

srtolly
09-03-2013, 12:16 AM
Worked 12 hours today, all overtime plus 8 hours holiday pay. I would like a weekend off but the extra cash is nice.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
09-03-2013, 03:56 AM
YUP , 2:47 AM and on a conference call , I haven't exactly been working all day , but have been oncall since 8am and will be till i go to work at 7.

Us phone guys never sleep , well we do but only till the pager goes off.

holiday pay plus over time

I was going to clean the garage , but never got off the phone long enough.

nitro570
09-03-2013, 04:37 AM
Worked 2400 to o800.

Lloyd Smale
09-03-2013, 06:29 AM
retired but helped the neighbor build his pole barn all day if that counts.

ballistim
09-03-2013, 09:05 AM
I worked afternoon shift, double time and a half holiday pay helps cover some of my recent forum purchases! ;-)

2wheelDuke
09-03-2013, 09:13 AM
I was off, I'm out of state visiting my parents. I dug a small trench with my dad to run a conduit for a new outdoor light. I also finished digging to re build their fire pit and cleared some more brush.

I'm sure the guys working patrol back home had their hands full, but I'm still probably working harder on my vacation.

Echo
09-03-2013, 11:19 AM
I volunteer at the Air Museum, driving a tram, on Mondays, so no day off for me. And the other guy that works that day decided he had had enough tram driving, and has changed his duty station to one of the hangars, so I would have been all by my lonesome if it hadn't have been for another driver who heard about it, and showed up to help. The outside tram tour takes about an hour+, as we have about 150 airplanes on outside display, and at that, I'm not able to brief on all the planes - some have more interesting stories than others. We are only scheduling 3 tours daily until 1October, when we add a 1500 tour, and when the weather ameliorates there are more visitors, so we start having to double up, running 2 trams, or even 3, per schedule, and if I do 3 tours, my voice is wiped out. I can handle 2, but 3 and I'm raspy for a few days. The snowbird volunteers will be arriving soon, and we can usually have 3 or 4 volunteers per day, so usually there is no problem. Don't know what next week will be like, tho.
The Grandfather of a staff member passed away Sunday. He was 92, and had been a gunner on a Douglas B-26 Invader. We have a couple Invaders, one A-26 in a hangar, the other an On-Mark B-26K that's on outside display. The family was in for the funeral, and Laura (staff member) had them out to see the airplane GrandPa flew in. The outside Invader was a pretty hefty walk from Hangar 1, so I volunteered to take them in the tram, so they could see the type, and take pictures. And I took a picture of the group, so they could all be in the picture. There was about a dozen, including kids. They appreciated it, and I felt honored to be able to do something for them.

Randy C
09-03-2013, 06:49 PM
We worked on getting the lake yard cleaned up to go fishing.
80952 80959
my wife Brenda is with out the sunglasses, it's her sister next to her.

80953 80955
30 years ago
80954 80956

TXGunNut
09-03-2013, 09:17 PM
I am salaried. Classified as overtime-exempt.

Same here, doesn't cost them a dime more to have me there on a holiday. Just happy to have a job these days.

dragon813gt
09-03-2013, 09:40 PM
I was on call yesterday. Got an email from the company owner at 8:30am saying I had to go to a particular house to do work for free for the homeowner. All he does is complain about how we don't make any money. So they paid me for eight holiday hours and then three hours at time and half to not charge a cent. Factor in the 60 miles round trip in the van that gets 12mpg and it gets worse. But I "don't see the big picture." I've been working there thirteen years but it's coming to an end quickly because of days like yesterday. All that job did was make it harder for me to achieve my monthly bonus.

Chihuahua Floyd
09-03-2013, 09:57 PM
Let's see, finished sheetrock, painted, painted grandson's room, finished re-plumbing house., Breakfast in bed for wife's birthday, cooked supper, then went down to the local brewery to see the band. Why was I so tired this morning, oh yeah, the 4:00 thunder storm.
CF

27judge
09-03-2013, 11:35 PM
Along with my 2 Sons I own a Seafood carryout business with 2 retail outlets and a wholesale outlet. For the past 40 years we work all the Holidays except Easter Sunday and Christmas day. In fact mothers day ,Fathers day, Memorial day, 4th of July and Labor day are all big Steamed/live crab holidays .Blue crabs are our main item as folks around here have them for their outdoor parties. Labor Day is the official end of summer for these types of parties so its one of the really busy days. For many years now we party when everyone else is done . Its the nature of the business. tks Ken

Warner C
09-04-2013, 12:12 AM
Along with my 2 Sons I own a Seafood carryout business with 2 retail outlets and a wholesale outlet. For the past 40 years we work all the Holidays except Easter Sunday and Christmas day. In fact mothers day ,Fathers day, Memorial day, 4th of July and Labor day are all big Steamed/live crab holidays .Blue crabs are our main item as folks around here have them for their outdoor parties. Labor Day is the official end of summer for these types of parties so its one of the really busy days. For many years now we party when everyone else is done . Its the nature of the business. tks Ken

Being a chef i work every holiday except christmas thats just because were closed