PDA

View Full Version : Recipe for Boiled Peanuts Needed.

Rick N Bama
09-02-2013, 03:27 PM
From another thread
Through the southeast for some reason everybody is crazy over boiled peanuts, another spitout food.

With that said, I'm a Southerner bred & born and a Southerner I'll die.......but for me Boiled Peanuts are a recently acquired taste. Up until just a few years ago I had never eaten one and to my surprise I found that I do indeed like them.

Now, does anyone here have a good recipe for making my own? I've tried, but I simply haven't been able to make them as good as what I've bought off the roadside vendors.

A good recipe will certainly be appreciated.

Rick

Jim
09-02-2013, 04:14 PM
You been in 'Bama HOW LONG an' you jus' now gettin' around to eatin' 'balled' peanuts? You been livin' in a closet?

:kidding:

Here ya' go, bubba, jus' what the doctor ordered!

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/boiled_peanuts/

Rick N Bama
09-02-2013, 06:20 PM
You been in 'Bama HOW LONG an' you jus' now gettin' around to eatin' 'balled' peanuts? You been livin' in a closet?

:kidding:

Here ya' go, bubba, jus' what the doctor ordered!

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/boiled_peanuts/

Jim I've apparently led a sheltered life:) Yep, I never had any until about 3 years ago when I bought some from a roadside vendor in N GA near Helen.

I've read over that recipe & I'll give it a try, but I was just wondering if someone might have a proven "family" recipe they could pass on.

When I do boil up a batch I let them cool a bit then put a serving for myself in freezer bags. When I get to wanting some I just dig out a bag & "Nuke" them for a bit. Great TV watching snack! This is a snack that I can keep around as I'm the only family member that will eat them.
Rick

gbrown
09-02-2013, 06:35 PM
Sorry, I don't have any recipes. I have several friends who swear they are the best thing since ice cream? chewing gum? or something. I've had them and they taste like blackeyed peas to me. Hope you find a recipe.

w5pv
09-03-2013, 07:22 AM
I think the roasted and salted in the shell is a variation of boiled peanuts.They are just roast them after boiling.

Rick N Bama
09-03-2013, 08:52 AM
I think the roasted and salted in the shell is a variation of boiled peanuts.They are just roast them after boiling.

I tried roasting some with the last batch I made, but they that didn't work out at all so they were tossed out. I think that maybe one of the problems I'm having is that I've been cooking them in a Crockpot cooking them for 8 hours or so. I'm going to use the Turkey Fryer for the next batch. For some reason they're just not taking on the spices in the Crockpot.

Rick

gwpercle
09-03-2013, 04:59 PM
First off you got to use raw/ we call them green, but they are really raw , un- dried, peanuts (sometimes they still have dirt on them and must be washed. Dried peanuts won't work either. Use enough water to cover the nuts by at least two or three inches, lot of salt mixed in the water , boil them two to three hours or till soft and done. Add more water if needed as they boil. Don't ruin them with crab boil or old bay seasoning...salted water is best. They take longer to cook than I first thought, just use plenty water. Crock pot won't work , you need rolling boil for peanuts or it takes a long long time for them to cook.
To roast, use dried peanuts, raw ones don't work that well for roasting.

Gary

Fretboard
09-03-2013, 08:02 PM
I have tried the boiled peanuts in a can (they are still in the shell) that they sell at Wall Mart, I don't have a taste for them. I prefer dry roasted.

Dale in Louisiana
09-04-2013, 09:28 AM
First off you got to use raw/ we call them green, but they are really raw , un- dried, peanuts (sometimes they still have dirt on them and must be washed. Dried peanuts won't work either. Use enough water to cover the nuts by at least two or three inches, lot of salt mixed in the water , boil them two to three hours or till soft and done. Add more water if needed as they boil. Don't ruin them with crab boil or old bay seasoning...salted water is best. They take longer to cook than I first thought, just use plenty water. Crock pot won't work , you need rolling boil for peanuts or it takes a long long time for them to cook.
To roast, use dried peanuts, raw ones don't work that well for roasting.

Gary

I've used raw (dried) bought from roadside stands OR from the produce section of the grocery store. They'll work.. Just takes longer. I'm with Gary, though, on the spice thing. Salt is all I use, and lots of it.

Incidentally, boiled peanuts weren't something that any of the Cajuns did when I was growing up. Peanuts were grown, but they were 'parched', or roasted.

I found out about boiled peanuts later in life and experimented with what I had on hand (those dried, raw peanuts) until I got something like what I bought from boiled peanut vendors.

dale in Louisiana

richhodg66
09-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Where I grew up in S.C., boiled peanuts are a staple. I'd forgotten about them, honestly, nobody does that here in Kansas.

Seems like my inlaws always used a big pressure cooker and salt to make them, but I've never done it myself.

gbrown
09-04-2013, 08:09 PM
Where I grew up in S.C., boiled peanuts are a staple. I'd forgotten about them, honestly, nobody does that here in Kansas.

Seems like my inlaws always used a big pressure cooker and salt to make them, but I've never done it myself.

I don't think anyone does it, except in Alabama, Mississipi and some parts of Louisiana. Should say something about 'em, ya think? LOL

Rick N Bama
09-04-2013, 09:56 PM
I don't think anyone does it, except in Alabama, Mississipi and some parts of Louisiana. Should say something about 'em, ya think? LOL

The first I ever had was in GA from a roadside stand near Helen. That man told me that he sold around 500 pounds on a good weekend all dipped out of a cast iron washpot. Says something about him anyway.

Rick

CATS
09-04-2013, 10:46 PM
Yes and... Sea Salt.

762 shooter
09-05-2013, 06:06 PM
Green or raw peanuts should be cooked in a pressure cooker.

Place peanuts in a pressure cooker no more than 3/4 full. Fill with water to 3/4 full. For a four quart cooker 3/4 full add 3 to 4 Tablespoons of salt. Table salt. Salt is salt. Some salt just cost more. Bring to pressure and cook for 45 minutes.
When cooker has cooled enough to remove the top, taste peanuts. If they are not salty enough leave them in the water until they are. This is a tried and true procedure. I love boiled peanuts.

If you want to preserve the fresh taste of raw peanuts, boil for 1 hour with no salt, cool, and freeze. Remove from freezer and cook as above.
I found some peanuts dated 06-10-08 in my freezer and I defy you to tell the difference in fresh dug.

Boiling peanuts takes hours and hours and never gets them to the correct texture.

You asked.

Back porch, wife, A&W root beer on ice, porch fan, boiled peanuts, = heaven.

richhodg66
09-05-2013, 06:50 PM
I haven't had any in years, now you guys have me wanting some!

reloader28
09-06-2013, 08:58 AM
I tried them once when I was in New Orleans.
It was like eating a peanut that someone already sucked on.

762 shooter
09-06-2013, 02:08 PM
More for me.

carolina556
10-02-2013, 10:53 PM
Sounds like everyone set you down the right path.....We always got them in Fl when I was a kid, I lived near Okeechobee....then here in SC they are a norm... just put water several inches over to cover, lots of salt...make it taste like sea water so the peanuts absorb the flavor as they cook otherwise they will be bland.....some also add Cajun seasoning... boil 2-3 hours rolling boil until cooked. You can bag email and freeze them and nuke it for 1min for all year round munching...

brtelec
10-02-2013, 11:27 PM
Yep that is the recipe I know. A large pot, water, green peanuts and lots of salt. We are from North Carolina and Boiled peanuts were as big a part of my growing up as breathing.