PDA

View Full Version : receiver sight mounting screw spacing?

tommag
09-02-2013, 09:11 AM
I bought a sporterized Mauser that had a Williams rear sight.
The sight was loose, and when I took it off discovered that only one screw held it on.
The holes didn't line up, they were spaced .510" apart and the holes on
the Williams are .625" apart.
Does anyone know where I can get the spacing info so I can hopefully order a sight that will line up with the existing holes?

nhrifle
09-02-2013, 11:07 AM
Check with Brownells. They often list useful specs like the mounting hole spacing on their products.

W.R.Buchanan
09-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Find a Lyman model 48 M it may have the correct spacing. Or buy a Williams sight made for a Mauser.

The other way would be to take the Williams sight base and have a machinist walk one of the holes over so you can get both screws in it.

If you are looking to find the exact spacing of the drilled hole use your dial calipers and measure the distance inside to inside between the holes. And then outside to outside,,, Add together and divide by 2. This will give you the exact distance between the drilled holes.

You must actually stick the inside and outside jaws down into the holes to get these measurements correct. You could also use an optical comparator and measure the same way if you have access to one of these machines. Many machine shops have optical comparators, it is a common tool..

This will tell you exactly what you've got, and what to look for

Randy

KCSO
09-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Meser from the inside of one hole to the outside of the other and you have the c-c measurment. Or use a set of calipers with hole adapters.

tommag
09-04-2013, 07:09 AM
Thank
The measuring part I pretty well get
I have a Lyman that was on a Siamese Mauser, same spacing as the Williams. I guess it was drilled for another sight.

Junior1942
09-04-2013, 08:26 AM
Give Williams a call on their 800 number. Their techs will answer your question. They'll also tell you which new sight will fit.

roverboy
09-18-2013, 06:08 PM
Tommag, did you figure out your sight yet? Let us know if you get it fixed.

helice
09-19-2013, 01:00 AM
Ya! what Junior said. The folks at Wm.s have been great at customer service (for me).

Char-Gar
09-19-2013, 09:16 AM
For a given rifle, Williams, Redfield and Lyman all use the same hole spacing. Either you have the wrong sight on the rifle or somebody drilled the holes in the wrong place.

That leaves you with a couple of choices;

1. If you have the wrong sight, get the right one.
2. If the hole is in the wrong place, plug it and drill and tap a new one in the right place.

john hayslip
09-19-2013, 10:42 AM
How about 1 screw an a dab of JB weld on the unsupported end. Just thinking out of the box. Heat would release the JB if you ever needed to remove it. Not the most elegant solution but t'wd work.

roverboy
09-19-2013, 06:04 PM
How about 1 screw an a dab of JB weld on the unsupported end. Just thinking out of the box. Heat would release the JB if you ever needed to remove it. Not the most elegant solution but t'wd work.

Yeah that would be a quick fix. JB is pretty strong too. Williams sights are good sights. I've got a Williams 5D on one of my rifles.

tommag
09-24-2013, 10:55 PM
I've been too busy on the road to mess with it. I thought about plugging the hole with a screw and filing it flat, but the edge of the old hole is where the new one should be centered. I have visions of the bit walking over into the screw rather than where it should go.
Welding it shut is beyond my capability. I might tty the jb idea, if it didn't hold, there would be no harm, as far as I can tell.