PDA

View Full Version : Gun show fine- 1935 PERUVIAN MAUSER IN 7.65

CENTEX BILL
09-01-2013, 09:45 PM
I went to gun show today to sell a couple of rifles and after some 3 way deals, I came home with a pristine Modelo 1935 Peruvian Mauser in 7.65x54 for the out the door price of $325. I bought 2 boxes of PRVI Argie ammo at the show. I carefully fired 1 test round and measured the fired case against the unfired ammo. No primer back out, no measurable cartridge base expansion and the the neck of the fired case is .007 inch larger than the unfired case. I think I have a good chamber and the bore is very clean and bright.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM!! My 66 year old eyes can't focus well on the battle sights. The rear sight is a shallow v on a elevator slide and the front sight is standard military. I know I can't shoot good boolit groups with this sight arrangment. I have a couple of No 70 Redfield side mount receiver sights for mauser, but to work the extra high stripper clip slot will have to milled and the side of the receiver drilled and tapped. I really don't want to deface this pristine rifle.

Is there a scout type mount for a forward scope made my anyone? Does anyone have an suggestion for other sighting arrange that would not require milled the stripper clip slot?

Look forward to your suggestions.

Bill

Dutchman
09-02-2013, 09:57 AM
Unless S&K makes one for this particular rifle I don't think there are any others for this model. Might be one of the other Mauser LER mounts from S&K would work ok but you wouldn't know unless you had it in-hand.

Dutch

smkummer
09-02-2013, 10:58 AM
Try 1.0 or 1.25 reading classes and see if that allows you to see the sights AND target. It work for me.

rjathon
09-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Another trick is to make a tiny hole in a piece of duct tape and then stick the tape onto your glasses with the hole lined up with your eye and sights. You will find that your front sight, your rear sight, and the target will all be in focus.

Merit Corporation makes a nifty aperture device that has an adjustable aperture and it sticks to your glasses with a little suction cup.

Congratulations on obtaining a fine rifle. Did you notice that the safety is the opposite of other Mausers? Safe is to the left and fire is to the right.

tdoor4570
09-02-2013, 03:08 PM
pm sent

Syntax Error
09-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Another trick is to make a tiny hole in a piece of duct tape and then stick the tape onto your glasses with the hole lined up with your eye and sights. You will find that your front sight, your rear sight, and the target will all be in focus.

Merit Corporation makes a nifty aperture device that has an adjustable aperture and it sticks to your glasses with a little suction cup.

Congratulations on obtaining a fine rifle. Did you notice that the safety is the opposite of other Mausers? Safe is to the left and fire is to the right.

This must be similar to the concept of wearing an eye patch when shooting too.

gnoahhh
09-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Try 1.0 or 1.25 reading classes and see if that allows you to see the sights AND target. It work for me.

Ditto.

rjathon
09-03-2013, 03:51 PM
This must be similar to the concept of wearing an eye patch when shooting too.

No. It is based upon the same concept as a pinhole camera. By only allowing the light rays in the center of your lens and cornea to hit your retina everything is in focus as none of the light needs to be "bent" or focused.

Even a young shooter with good accommodation cannot have both the rear sight and target in focus at the same time, but by eliminating all but the central light rays one can have both near and far in focus at the same time.

Look at something that is too close for your eye to focus on and it appears fuzzy. Try again but this time look through a small hole in a piece of paper. It will be in focus.

monadnock#5
09-03-2013, 07:47 PM
The low magnification glasses are a great suggestion. Be sure though to get the full size lenses though. I've found them at Staples.
If as you're reading this, you have your head tipped way back so you can see the screen through the bottom of your bifocals, I have the cure. Get a second pair of glasses for computer use. Reduced power don't forget.
This is very important if you go that route. Do not get up fast from your office chair and try to grab that hot cup of coffee at the same time. It will not end well.

tdoor4570
09-05-2013, 01:29 PM
I have a real easy way to mount a long eye relief pistol scope and not hurt the rifle at all. It can be built with reg hand tools and works real well. If you would like more info contact me and we will talk, it is too long to try and type out the inst.

Uncle Grinch
09-07-2013, 09:13 AM
You may want to look at the Mojo sight to replace your rear military.

http://www.mojosights.com/