PDA

View Full Version : Week at the cottage

jeepyj
09-01-2013, 08:02 PM
The wife and I was able to get away for a week to our cottage. I knew I was going to get some good fishing in but for the first time I packed some casting equipment. Well long story short one day there was a pretty constant breeze blowing and the pond looked angry so I set up my equipment overlooking the water and started in... 7 or 8 hours and 38lbs pounds of mix later I was feeling pretty good about the day. A very good supply of 9mm, 38/357 & 44Mag.(not that I didn't have a decent supply anyway) not bad for a two double moulds and a single.
What's the most some of you have cast in a day? That is more than triple of any other session that I've had before.
Jeepyj80746

MT Chambers
09-01-2013, 08:08 PM
That's not a lot for 7 or 8 hrs., try a hotter melt and cast a bit faster.

jeepyj
09-01-2013, 08:21 PM
That's not a lot for 7 or 8 hrs., try a hotter melt and cast a bit faster.
I was on vacation I wasn't trying to set a record. I would agree if I was I was at home in my shop I would have probably been able to get more done however this time of the year I'm lucky to get extra time to even think about casting.
Jeepyj

johnc486
09-01-2013, 10:19 PM
WOW I can't take more than 3 hrs at a time and i'm retired (need to catch up on fishing).

rintinglen
09-01-2013, 10:30 PM
I cast a hair over 3,000 230 grain 45 RN boolits one spring day nigh to wore me out--worked out to nearly 100 pounds in roughly 8 hours of casting spread over a 12 hour period. That is more fun than I'd care to have now. A 4 cavity Lyman mold gets heavy pretty quickly these days.

gmsharps
09-02-2013, 02:00 AM
If you had a good time it doesn't matter whether if it was only one boolet. A time to relax and have fun is good for the mind and body.

gmsharps

ku4hx
09-02-2013, 04:06 AM
Now days, a day casting consists of no more than two 20-25 pound sessions spaced several hours apart. I gauge in pounds because boolit count varies with boolit weight. The limitation is arbitrary and is based on how much standing and casting my back can handle. Since I'm retired, there's no time restriction.

But to answer your question directly, approximately 1,500 - 2,500 depending on boolit weight.

Thumbcocker
09-02-2013, 09:13 AM
I thought I was the only one to pack molds and a pot on vacation.

jimb16
09-02-2013, 11:50 AM
The most I've done in a single day is around 1200. The next day was sizing and lubing. I usually do cast 1000 or so at a sitting. Doesn't really take all that long. I need time for fishing and hunting too. Its good to be retired.

Lance Boyle
09-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Not many marathons for me, I might do about 500 .45 200 gr SWC's in a sitting with a 4 cav MP mold.

Either smelting or casting I can only take about 4 hours of. I've done longer and my feet and back ached once I stopped and felt the affect of the standing and working on concrete with little breaks.

olereb
09-02-2013, 12:24 PM
I'd say any is a good number when your able to cast over looking a lake at your cabin,glad you were able to get out there and enjoy it.

Bluestraw
09-02-2013, 10:49 PM
I'd like to see the other pic. Doesn't look like 38 lbs there... Unless those are really large boolits...

warf73
09-02-2013, 11:56 PM
Good thing you had an angry pond or you wouldn't have had that fun maken boolits.
As for how many in a day, it was a tag team deal. I was smelting down 3 5 gal buckets of clip on WW while my buddy cast up 44 boolits in our new Lyman 4 cavity mold. We ended up with just over 70lbs of boolits and about 350lbs of WW ingots.

Bzcraig
09-03-2013, 12:34 AM
Being at the vacation cottage, casting outside with a view of the lake makes me think the only true measure of casting prowess can only be measured by how much you enjoyed the day.

I am not a 'high volume' shooter and I only have two cavity molds so I generally cast about 40lbs of alloy at a time taking 2-3 hrs. I truly enjoy the journey as much as the destination, the range.

Dale53
09-03-2013, 12:59 AM
My two young sons and I once cast, lubed, sized, and boxed 13,000 H&G #68's (200 gr .45 SWC's) over a weekend. I did all of the casting and they sized, lubed, and boxed...

These days, I cast one or two pots in a day (20-40 lbs of bullets). Frankly, it's mostly one pot a day (about an hour to an hour and a half). I am a certified old fart, am retired, so do it when the spirit moves (which is quite often[smilie=w:).

FWIW
Dale53

jeepyj
09-06-2013, 09:37 PM
I'd like to see the other pic. Doesn't look like 38 lbs there... Unless those are really large boolits...
I didn't take any other pictures of the whole bunch of boolits however I did take one of the sunrise from my front deck to enjoy.jeepyj81209

dudel
09-07-2013, 08:25 AM
Hard to say. When the pot is pouring smoothly, the pace is right, sprues cut easily, and the boolits are pretty, then I get in the zone and will lose track of time. I'll go through several pots of melt.

Then there are times when the pot leaks, handles fall off, boolits are wrinkly, bases are rounded, sprues are smearing the mold, and the piddling pile of boolits look like 5 miles of bad road. You find that there are more uglies than keepers, it's just time to turn off the pot, put the uglies back in, clean up and go gaze at the one keeper.

I find casting like golf. It takes just one good day to get you to come back. Even after some less than stellar sessions.

09-07-2013, 08:53 AM
I guess the most I've ever done in one sitting is about 300. Seems like I cast a few hundred and then switch to another mold for the various needs as they arise. This thread has made me smile just knowing everybody does as they please with this hobby, not caring how others do their's. The guy that casts 50 is just as satisfied as the guy that does 1,000.

Rick R
09-07-2013, 12:54 PM
I'd have to say that unless you're casting commercially the goal is satisfaction not boolit quantity. I only go thru about 30 pounds of metal each casting session and I'm now satisfied that a higher percentage of boolits go in the box to be sized/lubed than go back in the pot.

The lake side casting session described by the OP sounds like it rated a 9.8/10 on the satisfaction meter even if he only made a half dozen keepers. :)