PDA

View Full Version : Any people food I should not give my dog?

mroliver77
09-01-2013, 07:51 PM
I am out of dog food and need to get by for a few days. I have people food put up and quite a bit of canned soup my niece got me cheap at Campbell Soup Co where she works.
He had corn chowder with chicken snoodle soup over store bread for lunch today. I have a surplus of clam chowder, corn chowder and boxed mac'n cheese.

Jerry Clower told stories about making "Dog bread" from corn meal but I cannot find anything on the net.

Any doggon good recipes?
J

fryboy
09-01-2013, 07:59 PM
dont giv'em raisins/grapes or other fruit seeds , mine loves potatoes and bread and any meat ( especially venison lolz ) of course she eats almost anything i do if i'd let her ermm except black olives ,she doesnt care for those ,not a main course per say but here's a link to some doggy biscuts , one can improvise somewhat on it as well , they have another one ( as well as a whole bunch of awesum people food - love their rye flour !! ) but it's a lil more complicated ,btw ? easy on assorted spices

http://www.hodgsonmill.com/OurKitchen/RecipeList/tabid/540/i/281/Default.aspx

runfiverun
09-01-2013, 08:01 PM
there are a few things dog's won't eat but it seems to be a personal dog thing.
avoid chocolate and sugar type stuff but vegetables and bout everything else is alright.
some dogs are lactose intolerant [almost all cats are] but most ain't, and some don't do well with a lot of potatoes.
other than that they are omnivores when given the chance, our dog's think fridge clean out day is the best day of the week.

starnbar
09-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Don't feed him onions or anything that has a bunch in the mix they are bad for dogs as far as bread or cornbread I feed my hounds cornbread once a week they like leftover spaghetti too jiffy makes a decent cornbread if you aren't good at making your own just remember dogs need protein too so its not just carbs any fish will do just be careful of the bones when you fillet them mac and cheese is good too campbells has a lot of salt so watch their sodium intake . Chowder sounds good just water it down some so they don't get the runs.

Trey45
09-01-2013, 08:17 PM
Peanut butter is good for them and they seem to really like it. And they're funny looking eatin it too.

gray wolf
09-01-2013, 08:28 PM
Dogs are meat eaters, raw chicken, NOT cooked, bones and all.
Chicken backs are cheep and fine to feed. Grains, and veggies, along with scetties
are OK for a short stay. But meat is the mainstay for Canines.
Grains, rice, and the other things in dog food are fillers.
My two dogs eat a raw diet, they also should have 10% of the food weight in bone. My kids eat Moose, Deer, Rabbit,and Chicken, organ meat once a week.
For your situation ( and I hope it's temporary ) Just avoid the things mentioned in the above posts and feed them what they will eat till your back on your feet.
There have been times I have eaten oat meal and gave the little meet we had to the dogs. Bagged dog food can be some of the worst things a dog can eat.

44Vaquero
09-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Hotdogs, the nitrates in them can make the dog sick! Some are more tolerant, others not so much. My Black Lamb barfs them up in 5 minutes!

badboyparamedic
09-01-2013, 08:32 PM
No chocolate

alrighty
09-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Agree that onions,grapes, and raisins are to be avoided.Ham can also cause problems in some dogs but mainly in large servings.The mac and cheese should be fine.I have used Vienna sausages when I have ran out of dog food before , it isn't recommended due to the high salt content but in moderation it is fine.Brown and white rice can also be used.
Several foods are fine , most veggies and beef.Best bet is to google what you do have and go from there.

10 ga
09-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Dittos on the "NO CHOCOLATE" can be poison for a dog. Also no onions, garlic, leeks etc...

Cornmeal for "dog bread", called hushpuppies.

Dogs are decended from middle eastern wolves and were more scavengers, frequenting camps and kills of humans, than predators. They can eat a lot of stuff.

mroliver77
09-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Vets and Liberals freak out when you feed dogs people food!
Zues usually shares meals with me but I don't give him too much. I lost a dog to a chicken bone once and have always been told it is a no no. Dad said mutts can eat anything but purebreeds are more fussy. Zues gobbles even the largest bones and then pukes everywhere later! The only thing I have found he will gnaw is antler.

km101
09-01-2013, 09:00 PM
I don't know much about feeding dogs as we have mostly had cats around the house. But I do know a bit about being broke. Been there a few times, and I know it's not fun. If you would post a paypal address, or a mailing address, I will send you something to help feed you and the dog. Don't have a lot, but I would be glad to share. Or if you don't want to post the info. then send me a PM.

Maybe others can get in on this and help a fellow member?

phonejack
09-01-2013, 09:10 PM
Cheese is no no

mroliver77
09-01-2013, 09:10 PM
Please no more offers of help! I just wanted some food ideas for him. I have home canned veggies, corn ,pickles, beets and such to last for a long time. I have most of the food staples and know how to use them! ;)

Thanks for the offer though it means a lot!
J

mroliver77
09-01-2013, 09:11 PM
No cheese either?

rhadamanthos12
09-01-2013, 09:20 PM
Rice can help spread out dog food, plus it can help slow down their digestive system if they are having diarrhea. When our dogs stomach would get upset we would do boiled chicken and rice and it would help quite a bit, my wife still mixes in rice with their kibble if bowel movements start to look off.

mroliver77
09-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Cool, I have lots of rice!
I will find some meat tomorrow to cook down.
J

alrighty
09-01-2013, 09:31 PM
No cheese either?
Moderation is the key
http://ezinearticles.com/?Are-Cheese-and-Dairy-Products-Safe-For-Dogs?&id=5659831

unclogum bill
09-01-2013, 09:46 PM
10 years of running sled dogs and feeding some weird lets me say this I won alot of dog food but in the summer food could be sparce. I hit the dairy and added outdated cottage cheese to the mix and the butcher would give me fat trim if I sweet talked him. Read on the dog food sack the ingredients they use. I would mix in flour grain and corn cook it up and freeze it in bread pans for another day. Dogs kept pulling , hair was shiny and things went OK.
Watch what comes out the back end, and dogs weight. dogs get by by eating more junk or filler than perhaps a wolf might. That evolution that some say didn't happen is the reason. Small tight poops ( like feeding Iams food) is showing the body is using it. **** (Gravy Train) will shoot out with more feet per second than a cast bullet. Watch weight, hair shine and poop. if for example you get a lot of claim chower , google "can I feed my dog claims" Lots of stuff on internet. Some true, some not, but its a guide to help the journey.

gbrown
09-01-2013, 10:37 PM
I'd think of a cornbread or rice based food with some veggies and meat in it. You could make cornbread with veggies and then add canned tuna. I'd say about equal amounts of each. Of course, I have no idea of the size of your friend, as there is no mention of it that I can see. My dog is allegic to corn based food--led to scratching and shedding all over the place. Switched to rice based and that all stopped. Rice and corn are just fillers in the dogfood world. Fat and protein are what they need. Do you live some place where you can hunt? Like squirrels or rabbits? If I were out of food for my dog, I could open up the back door and shoot X amount of squirrels in the backyard. I'm in an urban habitat. Pick 'em up, clean 'em (save and use the lungs, heart, liver and kidneys, also) and either cook 'em in the oven (low and slow) to soften or put 'em a pressure cooker (15 lb for 20 minutes). Chop/grind meat and bones up and mix with cooked rice or corn bread, equally. My dad did that with pork/beef/venison bones for my dogs back in the '60's and '70's. They loved it and thrived on it.

Came back again for an edit--if you have a local store that butchers, or you can talk to the meat market manager and get big bones, like leg bones from any animal, get a pressure cooker and cook them til their soft and use that with rice or cornbread. (Remembering what my dad did)

mroliver77
09-01-2013, 10:42 PM
Thanks bill. After some research I settled on "Pedigree for large dogs" from Walmart is the best deal. I know there is better but funds dont allow. He is a 130lb American Bulldog and burns lot's of fuel. I normally supplement with raw meat scraps and wild meat that I kill. His poop looks good and he is very regular.

This was not even my dog! The ex wife called me one day and asked if she could bring a lil puppy home. She called from out in the lane! The pup was with her. Zues came from a breeder and his muzzle is pink whereas it should be black. This made him unsellable to snooty dog people so he became our third kid. Wife found a boyfriend a few years back and she had to go. She didnt want the dog and said to take him to the pound. I am not like that. I made a commitment to keep him and he is my bud now. He in my dog until the daughter comes and then he follows her. He will let nobody mess with her. He loves my pickup and sometimes goes out and lays in it for hours. I dont have to lock it or take the keys out when he is along. I have been told he is a vicious breed and should not be allowed to live.
Here he is being vicious.
Harvesting dacron

Bloodman14
09-01-2013, 10:45 PM
Do not give a dog any chicken bones, they can't chew them up finely enough to pass through. They tend to splinter in a dog's chewing mechanism, and can cause some major problems in the digestive tract. We made that mistake once.

ElDorado
09-01-2013, 10:47 PM
FYI-

Our dogs got into a can of macadamia nuts and that night they both had paralyzed hind legs. Fortunately the vet was able to treat them and the paralysis was temporary, but they are toxic to dogs.

Artful
09-01-2013, 10:51 PM
http://dogs.thefuntimesguide.com/2006/02/homemade_dog_foods.php

Human Foods That Are NOT Safe For Dogs

unsafe-human-foods-for-dogsFollowing are all of the foods and edible items that are potentially dangerous to dogs (along with links to the sources which cite those items as being harmful and why).
TIP: At the very least, you should avoid feeding your dog human foods that are salty, sweet (high in sugar content), or fatty.

These human foods should not be given to dogs, especially in large amounts:
Alcohol 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Apple seeds 1, 2, 3
Avocados 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Bones (cooked) 1, 2, 3, 4
Bread dough (raw yeast) 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Caffeine 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Chocolate 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Coffee (grounds, beans, brewed) 1, 2, 3, 4
Corn cobs 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Eggs (raw) 1, 2, 3, 4
Fat trimmings 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Fish 1, 2, 3
Garlic 1, 2, 3, 4
Grapes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Liver 1, 2, 3
Milk/ice cream/dairy products 1, 2, 3, 4
Moldy foods 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Mushrooms/mushroom plants 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Nutmeg 1, 2, 3
Nuts (macadamia nuts, walnuts & some others) 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Onions and onion powder 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Pits from peaches, plums, cherries & apricots 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Potato leaves, stems & green skins 1, 2, 3, 4
Raisins 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Rhubarb leaves 1, 2, 3, 4
Salt 1, 2, 3, 4
Tobacco & nicotine products 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Tomato plants/leaves/stems 1, 2, 3, 4
Xylitol (found in sugar-free products) 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/ss/slideshow-foods-your-dog-should-never-eat

IMPORTANT: If you suspect that your dog has eaten something that was bad for him or become poisoned, contact the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435. This is a 24-hour a day hotline that operates 7 days a week 365 days a year. (They charge a nominal fee to your credit card for the immediate response and expert advice that could ultimately save your dog’s life.)

Human Foods That ARE Safe For Dogs

safe-human-foods-for-dogs The good news: There are many people foods that are safe for dogs to eat!
I encourage you to look at the ingredients that are listed in DIY homemade dog treat recipes as well as homemade Kong stuffing recipes to find some fun combinations of dog-friendly foods that your dog will love.
Here are some of the most popular human foods that pet parents routinely give their dogs:
Apples (no seeds)
Applesauce
Apricots (no pits)
Baby food (all-natural)
Beef (scraps)
Berries (fresh and frozen)
Bouillon
Bran cereal
Bread (without raisins or nuts)
Broccoli (raw)
Carrots
Cashews
Cauliflower (raw)
Celery
Cheerios
Cheese (American, cheddar)
Cheese Wiz
Chicken (cooked, no bones or skin)
Chicken broth
Cottage cheese
Cream cheese
Croutons (plain)
Eggs (cooked)
Flax seed (ground or oil)
Ginger
Green beans (canned, no salt)
Honey
Melons
Mint (helps with bad breath)
Nectarines (no pits)
Oatmeal
Orange slices (no rinds)
Organ meats (giblets, liver, tongue, heart, gizzards
Parsley
Pasta noodles (cooked)
Peaches
Peanut butter (creamy or chunky, preferably all-natural)
Peas
Pineapple (fresh or frozen)
Popcorn (no salt, toppings or kernals)
Potatoes (mashed, no butter, skin or green parts)
Pumpkin (canned)
Rice (cooked)
Rice cakes
Squash
Sunflower seeds (unsalted)
Sweet potatoes
Tomatoes (no greens or stems)
Tuna (and the juice from canned tuna)
Turkey (cooked, no bones or skin)
Yogurt (plain, lowfat, unflavored, unsweetened)

Keep in mind these are guide lines - your individual dog can have allergies - say to something like Sunflower seeds. So go slow with human foods until you find out what they can handle.

Keep in mind the above is from a web site - I have known dogs they had cookie / brownies and lived a long happy health life.

mroliver77
09-01-2013, 10:52 PM
Very good info gbrown! I never thought of pressure cooking bones and all! I have everything needed. I usually debone the meat! I had looked on the net and most people said lean deboned meat. I know where there are a couple woodchucks living close to the house. I have a 50gr light load dialed in for the 22-250. Soon I should get a roadkill deer as people are takin to the woods.
Hopefully Doc has some magic to get me moving better when I see him Tues.
J

sparky45
09-01-2013, 10:53 PM
My vet simply says "No People Food"..

mroliver77
09-01-2013, 11:12 PM
This is what frustrated me when searching the net. My vet said nothing but dog food. Net says bones-no bones, liver-no liver, corn-no corn etc.
I figure, moderation, avoids the toxic for dogs stuff and some common sense. Artfuls list says no cooked bones. Most dog food has bone meal as an ingredient. Most has corn meal to some extent.
A lot of good info has been posted, Thanks to all.
Jay

gbrown
09-01-2013, 11:31 PM
Hey! Fresh road kill is fine. I think it was Dale in Louisiana that said to go out with a can of spray paint and find old stuff, mark it, and when you go back, looked for the unmarked. The pressure cooked bones will come out soft and "spongy", will not be a danger to your friend. Again, looking for protein and fat--broth left over is really good for your friend, also. As someone else posted, watch his poop, that's a good indicator of too much fat/not enough bulk. Learn and fine-tune, just like casting/reloading.

starmac
09-01-2013, 11:36 PM
I have a dumb question here, why is it a dog can eat everything he finds for himself, but if I find roadkill first it needs to be cooked???

OBIII
09-02-2013, 12:23 AM
Human squeamishness. Mr Oliver, boiled long grain rice, cooked in a little chicken stock with a dash of salt and pat of butter. When rice is done cooking, mix in some eggs while the mix is still hot. Eggs will be cooked in the rice. Obviously the number of eggs depends on the amount of rice cooked, but a cup of rice with some dry food or scraps of meat is very good for dogs. My lab had 14 puppies, and as soon as they were old enough, I gave thim this mixture before they were weaned. All of them survived. Dog bone recipes abound on the internet. If you have trouble finding some, pm me and I will send you a couple. (I don't have access to them right now). Whole wheat is best to use to make them, just mix and bake. Best of luck to you.
OB

waksupi
09-02-2013, 12:25 AM
I have a dumb question here, why is it a dog can eat everything he finds for himself, but if I find roadkill first it needs to be cooked???

It will cut down on worms in their system.

horsesoldier
09-02-2013, 01:03 AM
Chicken bones are fine when they are raw, its when they are cooked they are brittle.

starmac
09-02-2013, 01:22 AM
It will cut down on worms in their system.

Makes sense.

snuffy
09-02-2013, 01:35 AM
A long time friend and working partner feeds his dogs ONLY fresh food that he makes himself. He shops specials at the stores, looking for whole chickens, veggies and fruit. He then uses a heavy duty grinder to grind it, then freezes it in serving size for one day for each of his dogs. Entirely RAW, bones and all!

His dog is a great Pyrenees. It's one of the healthiest dogs I've ever seen.

My dog had been on antibiotics for 10 days. I went back to the vet for a follow-up, I said he wasn't eating hardly at all. She said take some hamburger,(beef), cook it nearly to death to get the fat out. Then make some rice, a couple of cups. Mix the hamburger and rice. He woofed it down, then started eating better. The vet called to see how he was doing, I said better but not quite normal. She said to get some yogurt, NOT the yuppie type with all flavored ap-cray, but real yogurt with active cultures in it. He loved it and returned to normal quickly!

popper
09-02-2013, 02:22 AM
Artful has the best list. Dogs will eat roadkill - minus the bad stuff. Cats generally want fresh kill. They are like kids and want to play with their food.

Duckiller
09-02-2013, 02:43 AM
I feeds my dogs cheese. How else do you get them to take pills. Any thing that is wrapped in a slice of cheese will get eaaten by our dogs.

richhodg66
09-02-2013, 06:56 AM
Are eggs bad for the,? I occasionally scramble one or two in the microwave for the little guy and have for years for all our dogs, always thought it was good for them.

Lloyd Smale
09-02-2013, 07:05 AM
the first vet i had retired. He preached no people food. the new younger vet i have now said that people food if given in a balanced way (same for a human) is better for them then most dog foods are. What he said makes a good dog food is boiled chicken or hamburger and rice or potatoes. He said to avoid chocolate, onions, and grapes but even they arent all that harmful to a large breed dong. Its more the little dogs that have the problems. Mine eats about anything. He loves icecream, eats grapes, peaches and apples right off the vine or tree. Never hurt him a bit. He detests dry dog food and a bowl of it would sit in the kitchen till he died from starvation. In the 10 years ive had him 9 of them hes ate nothing but people food other then dog treats and one can of canned dog food in the morning and is doing fine. I guess i look at it this way. Hands down his favorite thing in life is eating. His whole world evolves around where hes getting his next bite to eat. So in my opinion if he dies two years earlier eating what he loves vs living two years longer eating some dry pellets of grewl i think if i know which way hed choose. I dont eat tofu, im not a vegetarian, i eat the way i want. IF i die two years earlier so be it. Why should I treat my dog any differnt. We may both die a bit earlier but we will at least have had a steak the day we go.

unclogum bill
09-02-2013, 07:18 AM
Are eggs bad for the,? I occasionally scramble one or two in the microwave for the little guy and have for years for all our dogs, always thought it was good for them.
Eggs occasionally will not hurt dogs any. Some would say not to feed them raw for fear of salmilmila but then when I was a kid I used to slide them down and I'm still here. That microwave though, might be different. Read a piece where as a science experiment, a high school er wanted to see if there was a difference in growth between plants that had stove boiled water then cooled used on them and plants that had the water cooked in a microwave. the micowave water plants died. Seems to do with super energizing electrons and the plants could not identify the stuff as water. Further study is being conducted on food items . So to shorten the tale , the old stove might be better for you in the long run.

farmerjim
09-02-2013, 07:24 AM
Like people, all of mans best friends are different, I have never given mine anything other than dry dog food. I can't stand a dog begging for human food at the dinner table [just me]. I have friends that have dogs with food allergies and must feed them special diets. Feed your dogs as you like with the guidelines given by the group. Do avoid the onion and garlic in their foods, it is worse than any of the other things mentioned.

nitro570
09-02-2013, 07:35 AM
Thanks bill. After some research I settled on "Pedigree for large dogs" from Walmart is the best deal. I know there is better but funds dont allow. He is a 130lb American Bulldog and burns lot's of fuel. I normally supplement with raw meat scraps and wild meat that I kill. His poop looks good and he is very regular.

This was not even my dog! The ex wife called me one day and asked if she could bring a lil puppy home. She called from out in the lane! The pup was with her. Zues came from a breeder and his muzzle is pink whereas it should be black. This made him unsellable to snooty dog people so he became our third kid. Wife found a boyfriend a few years back and she had to go. She didnt want the dog and said to take him to the pound. I am not like that. I made a commitment to keep him and he is my bud now. He in my dog until the daughter comes and then he follows her. He will let nobody mess with her. He loves my pickup and sometimes goes out and lays in it for hours. I dont have to lock it or take the keys out when he is along. I have been told he is a vicious breed and should not be allowed to live.
Here he is being vicious.
Harvesting dacron
80765Nice dog.

snuffy
09-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Eggs occasionally will not hurt dogs any. Some would say not to feed them raw for fear of salmilmila but then when I was a kid I used to slide them down and I'm still here. That microwave though, might be different. Read a piece where as a science experiment, a high school er wanted to see if there was a difference in growth between plants that had stove boiled water then cooled used on them and plants that had the water cooked in a microwave. the micowave water plants died. Seems to do with super energizing electrons and the plants could not identify the stuff as water. Further study is being conducted on food items . So to shorten the tale , the old stove might be better for you in the long run.

I'm amazed that the old myth that microwaved food is bad for you is still around. Junk science at it's worst. Heat is heat, no matter how it's created.

People would be falling over everywhere if that were a fact. Frozen foods/meals are made to be heated in a microwave oven, and even restaurants use them to keep parts of your meal hot while the rest is cooking.

unclogum bill
09-02-2013, 11:57 AM

I'm amazed that the old myth that microwaved food is bad for you is still around. Junk science at it's worst. Heat is heat, no matter how it's created.

People would be falling over everywhere if that were a fact. Frozen foods/meals are made to be heated in a microwave oven, and even restaurants use them to keep parts of your meal hot while the rest is cooking.
In reply I want to say I used the word "might". In defense here's a source by fellows that carry degrees www.relfe.com/microwave.html Oh there's other stuff out there but most is opinion, not fact. If I be guilty of anything it's of saying "Maybe"

ElDorado
09-02-2013, 01:33 PM
[QUOTE=snuffy;2372320]
In reply I want to say I used the word "might". In defense here's a source by fellows that carry degrees www.relfe.com/microwave.html Oh there's other stuff out there but most is opinion, not fact. If I be guilty of anything it's of saying "Maybe"

Holy smokes!

It sounds like you're insinuating that snuffy doesn't hold a degree, and he may be a medical doctor for all you know.

The source that you cite is no "fellows", and lots of people have degrees. Many people on this forum hold degrees. My wife holds a degree. My brother holds a degree. My brother-in-law holds a degree.

Your source is a masseuse that administers to hypochondriacs, as far as I can tell. I'll need to see some actual science before I throw out my microwave.

unclogum bill
09-02-2013, 01:50 PM
[QUOTE=unclogum bill;2372457]

Holy smokes!

It sounds like you're insinuating that snuffy doesn't hold a degree, and he may be a medical doctor for all you know.

The source that you cite is no "fellows", and lots of people have degrees. Many people on this forum hold degrees. My wife holds a degree. My brother holds a degree. My brother-in-law holds a degree.

Your source is a masseuse that administers to hypochondriacs, as far as I can tell. I'll need to see some actual science before I throw out my microwave.
Holy smokes , are you saying only people with degrees have the answers, Has it come to that which what was not said is more important than that which was. As John Wayne said, "man ought to do what he thinks is right". If it helps smooth your ruffles , I will say a blessing for your microwave.

smokeywolf
09-02-2013, 03:29 PM
gray wolf does pretty much what we do, with one caveat, we don't feed the chicken backs, just the necks. We avoid grains. As gray wolf states, they are for temporary or emergency measures. The only starch that dogs can actually get any measurable nutrition from is sweet potato. Eggs are OK in moderation, just be sure the egg shell is consumed with the egg itself. The calcium in the shell and the phosphorus in the egg have to be consumed together. Same reason the ratio of 10% bone has to be fed to 90% meat.

For the most part, the only foods Timber 80808 gets other than raw meat is a little sweet potato, green bean, carrot, apple, blueberry, yogurt and sardines (packed in water). Cooked broccoli can be fed occasionally in small amounts but it is a member of the nightshade family and is therefore not the best choice. The fruits and vegies in total only account for about 5 to 10% of Timber's diet.

For the most part, dogs should not have any sweeteners included in their diet. The only sweetener that can possibly be recommended for occasional consumption by dogs is unsulphured black-strap molasses.

Raw Pacific Northwest Salmon is a NO NO. It can carry a parasite that is in turn infected with a virus or disease that will usually kill a dog (Salmon Poisoning).

Contrary to what the big dog food companies would like you to believe; dogs are not omnivores. They are carnivores who are opportunistic feeders. A dog's saliva lacks the enzyme needed to begin the breakdown of grains and most starches. A dog's digestive tract is much too short to process grains and most starches and plant fibers. And, a dog's molars are designed to scissor off chunks of meat. They are not flat and their lower jaw does not move from side to side to grind grains and plant fibers.

smokeywolf

snuffy
09-03-2013, 12:11 PM
[QUOTE]Standing in front of a microwave is also highly damaging to your health. Perhaps you have already felt this intuitively? We know that cells explode in the microwave - just fry an egg in your microwave. We are made up of trillions of cells. So work out how many are getting damaged if you stand in front of your microwave for 5-10 minutes.[/UOTE]

Wow! That's classic hype and superstition. A microwave oven HAS to pass inspection to have NO leaks of radiation before being accepted for manufacture. A leaky microwave WILL harm you. In the 1950's a radar tech was up in front of a big radar dish while it was active. He got "cooked", died a few hours later.

Why is it hard to see clearly into the microwave while it's working? Because the glass front has a screen in it that stops/traps the energy so it can't harm you. There's a tree way latch, safety system to prevent your hand from getting cooked. You cannot possibly activate it with the door open.

NEW BOOK BY STEPHANIE RELFE
"You're Not Fat, You're Toxic"

Okay, now I'm toxic! That's laughable! I mean it's so sadly wrong it's funny. Every woman gives birth over an open grave. An old saying meaning everybody is going to die sometime. I'm slowly dieing of prostate cancer. BUT I'm 67 Y.O. so my time is about up anyway. Those that fear death don't have the assurance policy I have, and many others have, ETERNAL LIFE!

No, I'm not a doctor, I barely graduated high school as a fifth year stoodent. But I do have common sense--which tells me if microwaves cause all the problems that Stephanie Relfe, ( a massage therapist), says they do, there would be a ban on them. Notice that Russia banned them, now they're back!

Sorry about the thread drift mods, I'm often guilty of nit picking. I just hadn't heard that myth for such a long time, I hoped Bill would provide a link to his source. It was enjoyable and provided a few laughs, thanks Bill it offered a chance to learn something.

mroliver77
09-03-2013, 12:34 PM
It's MY thread and drifting is allowed and encouraged! ;)

My buddies Dad has/had prostrate cancer and has been drinking concentrated pomegranate juice. His numbers dropped to the point where they are cautiously thinking he is good to go.It has been a few years now!

I am not afraid of dying either. In a way I look forward to it. I have the same after death insurance that you do! ;)

I think the television is much more dangerous than the micro wave! :shock:

unclogum bill
09-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Well , now that we established that drifting is allowed, there's common sense on board , Some of us have family that carry degrees, and onions isn't a dogs main dish.
" Can we all agree that the .270 is the best all round rifle God gifted us with?"

SSGOldfart
09-03-2013, 01:47 PM
I am out of dog food and need to get by for a few days. I have people food put up and quite a bit of canned soup my niece got me cheap at Campbell Soup Co where she works.
He had corn chowder with chicken snoodle soup over store bread for lunch today. I have a surplus of clam chowder, corn chowder and boxed mac'n cheese.

Jerry Clower told stories about making "Dog bread" from corn meal but I cannot find anything on the net.

Any doggon good recipes?
J

That's what Hush Puppy are fried corn meal left over after breading fish,you chop a little onion into it and use milk instead of water to mix it,then spoon it into hot oil 350* to 400* until golden brown,Warning you might have to feed moore then the dogs with this mix? :veryconfu Hush Puppies are a main stay in the south kinda along the lines of grits:bigsmyl2:

SSGOldfart
09-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Well , now that we established that drifting is allowed, there's common sense on board , Some of us have family that carry degrees, and onions isn't a dogs main dish.
" Can we all agree that the .270 is the best all round rifle God gifted us with?" No Sir we can agree to disagree but "I think gods gift of the 30-06 is the best all round rifle"

mroliver77
09-03-2013, 02:38 PM
That's what Hush Puppy are fried corn meal left over after breading fish,you chop a little onion into it and use milk instead of water to mix it,then spoon it into hot oil 350* to 400* until golden brown,Warning you might have to feed moore then the dogs with this mix? :veryconfu Hush Puppies are a main stay in the south kinda along the lines of grits:bigsmyl2:

We make hush puppies too. We are south of Michigan! lol We do have Waffle House here! And, I was raised on grits!
Jerry Clower said that when they took corn to the mill they had corn meal made and then a coarse meal just for the dog bread. If my memory is right it was more like a hard tack but made with corn.

I agree on the 30-06. The .270 being the half brother of the 06 is welcome at my house too!
J

SSGOldfart
09-03-2013, 03:48 PM
just take the coarse meal and add boiling water to it, and spoon that into your wet hands to make a patty out of it,then fry it , some call it boiled cornbread in texas, dogs love it too

dakotashooter2
09-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Rabbits and barn pigeons........................

mroliver77
09-03-2013, 05:15 PM
I do supplement with wild meat when it donates itself.:Fire:
J

searcher4851
09-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Just a little fuel for the microwave fire:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/05/18/microwave-hazards.aspx

My dog lived her 16 years on dry dog food. She would get a taste of meat when I'd be cooking something up, and if it had gravy, she'd get some of that on her dry food. I figure the good Lord went to all the trouble of inventing fire, the least I can do is use it, so I cook with fire.

Lloyd Smale
09-10-2013, 08:00 AM
my dog gets ice cream and the 06 is hands down better then a 270 :)

30calflash
09-13-2013, 01:26 PM
Besides the grapes, raisins, onions and chocolate you may add cocoa, avocado and macadamia nuts. This list is from my bosse's wife who raises goldens. HTH.

gray wolf
09-14-2013, 08:08 PM
I wish I had more energy to type tonight. We feed a strictly raw diet because like Smokey Wolf said, dogs are carnavores, not omnivores. Grains of ANY kind are bad news for them. They overwork the pancreas and in some cases create diabetes in dogs AND cats.

Veggies are a non starter also because of the lack of digestive enzymes in the dog's digestive system to break them down into useful food.

All a dog needs is raw meat, edible bones and organs in small amounts fed a couple times a week.

We have fed a raw diet to our two dogs and the one before that, starting around 2005. Our Malamute is a third generation raw fed, minimally vaccinated dog from similar parents. She has NEVER seen a vet's office and our younger dog only once and that was BEFORE we adopted her.

Both are healthy and strong like bulls.

Julie

smokeywolf
09-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Deviating a bit from the food; here are some over-the-counter meds that can be given to dogs.

http://www.walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm

I have administered enteric coated baby aspirin and benedryl to my dogs. However, I would do a little more research on the rest mentioned.

Because a dog's stomach acid is about 1.4 ph, enteric coated aspirin is the only type that should be given. Uncoated aspirin will dissolve in the stomach, thereby increasing acidity.

smokeywolf

smokeywolf
09-14-2013, 08:48 PM
Sam, that is absolutely one of the finest Mals I've ever seen. Gotta love the fur kids. We love all dogs, but one of the things I love about the Malamutes is that they will go out and run and play when you do, but are just as happy to cuddle up with you when you can't go out.

Timber, aka "the goofy wolf" is a Wol-amute.

Adding to something you mentioned, although the raw food, at least for us, costs more to feed. The extra cost of the food is more than made up for by fewer vet visits, happier healthier dogs, and knowing that we're making the best choices for our dog(s).

Thanks for the pics.

smokeywolf

Bored1
09-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Cheese is no no

Every dog I have ever had LOVES cheese. Worst that has ever happened is if they eat TOO much they get constipated and you have to deal with that, then the subsequent other side of the coin from the medicine to make em go. Whats wrong with cheese?

mroliver77
09-15-2013, 01:23 AM
Good Lord I cannot afford to feed myself much meat! I dunno how I could feed Zues strictly meat.

How much would you feed a 130lb 8 year old not real active dog?

I need to read up on this more. I suppose I need to put more effort into wild game. Plenty of road kill deer if one gets on the Sheriffs list.

smokeywolf
09-15-2013, 03:42 AM
It may be best to keep Zeus on the same basic diet you have had him on. Feeding raw meats and meaty bones like gray wolf and I do is usually best started when weaning takes place. Dogs on raw diets are said to develop stronger immune systems than those fed kibble. Dogs started on raw chicken/turkey/beef etc. as adults sometimes lack the immune system to handle the exposure to the bacteria levels sometimes present in raw meats.

Timber gets a heaping tablespoon of plain yogurt twice a week, which is a probiotic and acts as an aid to fighting any unexpected increases in unfriendly bacteria in his GI tract.

To answer your question, a 130 lb. adult non-working dog would likely require 3.5 to 4 pounds of meat/bone per day. At least that's my experience.

gray wolf
09-15-2013, 09:38 AM
Good Lord I cannot afford to feed myself much meat! I dunno how I could feed Zues strictly meat.

How much would you feed a 130lb 8 year old not real active dog?

I need to read up on this more. I suppose I need to put more effort into wild game. Plenty of road kill deer if one gets on the Sheriffs list.

Yes, the roadkill list is what we do. Wild meat is actually much better than grocery store meats cause it isn't filled with antibiotics and stuff. If you could get enough, it would cut the cost of feeding Zues down to next to nothing.

As far as switching an older dog? It's ALWAYS better to feed appropriate food over that stuff in a bag. You just have to start slower. I know a bunch of people who switched even senior dogs to a raw diet due to health issues and those dogs lived longer because of it.

You want to start with just 1 type of meat and stick to it for a couple weeks till your dog's digestive system cleans out the toxic stuff that lines the intestinal walls. Most dogs will have runny poos for a short while but that is normal. Once that stops, his poos will be less in size, virtually no smell and you will see an immediate difference in coat, breath, overall health.

We usually go with feeding 2% of his current weight as an amount. You can feed that in one meal or two a day. DO not attempt to mix dry kibble with the raw meats as raw meats take less time to digest. The kibble takes 3 times as much energy to digest and time because their systems have to work overtime to digest that **** they put in there. (why on earth would anyone feed beet pulp to a dog? It's dead food, no nutrition and used only as a filler.....gag)

Chicken is cheap to start on. Buy whole chickens and cut them into appropriate size. Do not attempt to feed small pieces. Necks and backs and wings are ok as long as you feed with the rest of the bird.
We feed leg quarters to our two when money is tight and no venison or moose meat in the freezer.

Here is Ashly working on a moose leg that "was" covered in meat. She weighs around 95 lbs. We took that leg bone away after she stripped it as those leg bones are too hard for a dog's teeth. You want to feed nice soft bones like chicken or ribs of some animal. Venison ribs, chicken bones, pork bones all are good.

This pic is of Sophie when she was about 4 months old working on a venison neck....and doing just fine. Remember bigger is better as they have to rip and tear to get the meat off and chew off smaller pieces of bone. Some dogs are gulpers like Sophie and all dogs will crunch till it fits down their throat and then swallow.

Feeding a roadkill deer is like manna from heaven. Free food for your dog and you if it's a fresh kill. And your dog will be SO healthy for it.

Just stick to one type of meat in the beginning till his tummy adjusts. Since he has already gotten small bites of it, he may not have any issues.

Please ask me if you have questions. I have been doing this for our dogs for a long time now.

Julie

mroliver77
09-15-2013, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I grosses me out when I realize just how much of a child of the store bought world I am!

Zues has always been fed raw meat especially wild stuff. It has really only been a "supplement" to the kibble. I am going to slowly move to more raw meat in his diet. He seems to tolerate changes well. He will crunch bones of any size and swallow them. Later he pukes them up!

How would you feed rabbit, woodchuck and such to a dog?

I am amazed and disgusted that most vets recommend only kibble. Are they uneducated or bribed?

J

smokeywolf
09-15-2013, 08:13 PM
mroliver,
Julie has obviously done her homework on this.

You mention that Zues has already been acclimated to raw meat. Absolutely, try to get away from the kibble. Much of the cheaper kibble has an ingredient in it called "concentrated protein(s)". These "concentrated proteins" are largely rendered and processed dog and cat carcasses from county animal shelters. Also, in order to form this garbage food into kibble chunks the majority ingredient must be a starch (no good for dogs). This mess of garbage components must also be cooked to at least 140 degrees F in order to extrude it into chunks.

One of the reasons raw meat is so much better for your pet than dead dry food is that raw meat is still living; it has enzymes in it that work in concert with the enzymes in your dog's mouth, gut and intestine, to help your dog process and get the most out of every bite.

The reason vets don't always recommend raw feeding is that the diet and nutrition programs at many of the vet schools are subsidized by the big pet food conglomerates.

Also, Julie and Sam should check me on this, but if Zues is regularly puking up bones, then he is either getting the wrong bones or he is not crunching them into small enough bits so his stomach acid can finish the job.

I'll leave it to Sam or Julie to recommend how to feed small critters to Zues.

Thanks for the pics Julie. Love to see the "fur kids" gnawing on the bones. Good for them mentally and physically. Plus their so dog-gone cute doin it.

smokeywolf

Wolfsbane
09-26-2013, 12:31 AM
This is a good source from National Geographic of human foods poisonous to dogs.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2007/10/pets/dog-poisons-interactive#close-modal