PDA

View Full Version : First COWW Casting Try

jonp
09-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Well, it's Labor Day so I labored this morning. Got the cast iron pot, corn cob mold, ladles, spoons and turkey fryer out and gave it my first shot. Out of 30lbs of COWW I ended up with about 25lbs of Corn Cobs of Delight!

Larry D.
09-01-2013, 04:36 PM
It's a good feeling. isn't it?

johnc486
09-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Looks like the 1st step to a great day at the range, looks good.

TXGunNut
09-01-2013, 11:41 PM
Looks great, congrats!
Would have been a bad idea around here, temps in the triple digits. I'll do my smelting after deer season, thank you very much!
Did you save the stick-on's? They are generally pretty close to pure lead but are pretty smelly to burn off the tape.

bangerjim
09-02-2013, 12:11 AM
Good!

COWW's are getting scarce in many parts. I can still find some of them here, but $$ is going up and more zinkers mess up the haul.

bangerjim

jonp
09-02-2013, 07:16 AM
Looks great, congrats!
Would have been a bad idea around here, temps in the triple digits. I'll do my smelting after deer season, thank you very much!
Did you save the stick-on's? They are generally pretty close to pure lead but are pretty smelly to burn off the tape.
I set them aside to smelt by themselves. Not that many, maybe 2 lbs if that.
I did learn one thing right off. The tire shop threw all of the ww into an old bucket of tire seating lube. Next time I'm going to clean the ww off as the grease was a bear to get skimmed and I didn't get all of it. However, the ww were free so I'm not going to complain too much!
My first 2 hauls of free stuff yielded 30lbs of lead and about 35lbs of zinc. 5 more lbs of ZN and Shadygrady is getting a box