PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on getting started casting (rolling your own)

45coltnut
09-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Hello everyone.

First, let me say that this is a very nice and very informative site! And, that I must confess I have been a lurker for several months before registering.

Ok, so I now want to start casting my own boolits and I need to help from the experts on how I should get started and what I should purchase. First, let me give you some background on myself.

I'm primarily looking to cast for hunting and general range purposes. I'd like to cast for my 45colt, 44magnum, 30-30 and maybe my 30-06. I've been a reloader for around 22 years now. Avid shooter, novice gunsmith and hunter. I also want to state that I prefer to purchase quality equipment that will last the rest of my life. I hate buying things twice! But, I also understand that just because its cheaper, doesn't mean its cheap.

So, I have NOTHING for casting. I will need it all but would like to start out slow and do this as economical as possible.

I'll start with my 45 colt and 44 mag. I want to shoot the following in all calibers listed above.

45 colt = 315-325 gr gas check wide flat nose
44 mag = 300-310 gr gas check wide flat nose
30-30 / 30-06 = 150-200 gr (don't know profile best as of yet or if a gas check is necessary)

What molds (high quality) and other equipment would be the least to get started?
Can I produce 15-22 bhn bullets for my pistols?
What lead and where should I get it for 15-22 bhn boolits?

I appreciate all the feedback and help in this matter.

Craig

jmort
09-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Too much to answer in single thread. There are so many threads to read on these issues/questions. If you have been lurking you should have seen a few and enough to know there are no simple easy answers. The new Lyman 25 melter (soon to be released) looks promising or the RCBS Pro Melt would be a good choice. I would keep reading and posting before I spent any $$$ if I were you. I assume you read the free casting book linked at the bottom and have Lyman's 4th Casting Handbook. The answers to your questions will become obvious within a few more weeks of reading stickies/threads/manuals. Take your time. I love Lee Precision, but based on your post, you will be happier avoiding Lee Precision. I like Accurate molds most of all, but NOE, MIHEC, LBT, NEI, et al are nice/nicer. Keep reading and learning and I assure you, you will be able to answer your own questions without anyone's opinion, just your own knowledge based on the immense amount of information on this site. Your are in the right place.

BTW, you state "I will need it all but would like to start out slow and do this as economical as possible." and then state "I also want to state that I prefer to purchase quality equipment that will last the rest of my life." As they say, you can't always get what you want. Did I mention that I love Lee Precision?

bobthenailer
09-01-2013, 04:18 PM
See if a seasoned fourm member is in your area , perhaps he would be willing to mentor you in the art of bullet casting and reduce your learning curve and frustrations to a mininum amount of time instead of years .

country gent
09-01-2013, 04:28 PM
If you kow what works and is accurate in your firearms then the only trick is finding that mold or one similar to it.One thing I ussually recomend is to spend some time shooting purchased cast bullets before buying your mold. You will then have an idea what you want need and whats working for you. I did that with my BPCR rifles, Bought bullets from Buffalo arms and several others to test try and see what worked. I then bought the appropriate mold. Purchase a cast bullet manual ( current Lyman is very good) and read it thru the how tos and information sections. Learn all you can before starting. Im still casting with a cast iron pot on a propane burner with a ladle. When your lightest bullets are 450 grns it dosnt take long to empty a 20 lb pot. The really imprtant equipment for casting is the saftey gear, gloves glasses or face shield,apron and heavy shoes as molten metal is not forgiving if splashed or touched. A visit from the tinsel fairy is really interesting if skin is exposed to it. I have lymn, rcbs brooks and hoch molds all work well and are eay to use. The aluminum molds are lighter ( something to keep in mind for long casting sessions. Read up and ask questions learn all you can before jumpig in with both feet.

wmitty
09-01-2013, 04:29 PM

Welcome to the asylum. Start by picking up every wheel weight you see lying around that won't get you run over or arrested. Be looking for a cast iron or steel container that you can melt alloy in; I'm using a cast iron skillet with sides high enough to allow roughly two inches of molten alloy and maybe 3/4" of skillet projecting above the surface. I use an electric stove wired up on the patio as a heat source and cast standing as I believe it is safer to stand along with proper footwear than to sit. Buy a Lyman dipper and the Lee .44 310 grain mould and the .430" push thru die to allow seating gas checks. This along with the liquid alox will allow you to start shooting cast in the .44 about as cheap as I can think of off hand. The Lee mould for the .45 is more of the same general idea. The .30 caliber mould could be the flat nosed Lee 170 grain, but you might just want to go ahead and get a Lyman 31141. Beyond this point things start snowballing as far as lubrisizers and alloys and such. There are many ways to go but remember to have fun on the way and don't hesitate to try paper patching... it's a whole new world!

jonp
09-01-2013, 04:38 PM
See if a seasoned fourm member is in your area , perhaps he would be willing to mentor you in the art of bullet casting and reduce your learning curve and frustrations to a mininum amount of time instead of years .

Turns out someone on this site lives less than 1 mile from me. He saw my posts and stopped over the other day to say hello and offered to help me with my first boolit attempts and let me use his molds.
You can read a thousand books but as my Jumpmaster in Airborne school said " Read about this **** if you want. I am now going to show you how to do it"

45coltnut
09-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback!

Yep, I do like Lee allot. That's why I put in the clause on "cheaper doesn't always mean its cheap" :) I've used RCBS single stage presses and a Dillon progressive for years. But recently I bought a new Lee progressive for my 38 spcl needs and I love it. I've always liked their dies too. But, some things are true to the saying of "you get what you pay for".

I do have my weights picked out for both handguns. 310 gas check is awesome in my 44 mag. The 45 colt is great with any 300-325.

I think I'll go ahead and pick up a mold for both and use an old cast iron skillet and give it a good try. I'll water quinch and put gas checks on too.

Thanks again and keep them coming.

Lead Fred
09-01-2013, 09:01 PM
dont need gas check molds for 44 mag, and really not for 45LC.
Rifle casting, absolutely can use a GC

BNE
09-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Welcome to the addiction. Find Wheel Weights. Find Wheel Weights. Find Wheel Weights. And when in doubt....Find Wheel Weights. Did I mention this was addicting?

TXGunNut
09-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Welcome to the affliction. Best advice is to get your feet wet but start slow. Focus first on obtaining good alloy and a good furnace. If you're going to be casting a large volume then consider a bottom-pour. Then focus on one cartridge, 45 Colt is an excellent choice. Don't go into casting handgun boolits thinking harder is better, your gun may tell you different, if you'll listen. Lastly, keep good notes. It's aggravating to have to re-learn something you have already spent time and resources figuring out. Glen Fryxell has an excellent online book on the subject, awesome amount of info by a man who's forgotten more about lead boolits than I ever hope to know.
Mentor is an excellent option, often reading and watching videos is no match for doing it or looking over someone's shoulder.

**oneshot**
09-02-2013, 07:58 AM
Where are you from? Someone may be local to you and help you get started.

pmer
09-02-2013, 08:37 AM
My first mold was an RCBS 45-255 and I ladle poured from a cast iron bowl. Used LP for heat and know have the Lee bottom pour melter.

Looking back though, that 30-30 you have would be a good firearm to learn with. Get a good 30-30 mold, water drop some wheel weight and shoot about as fast as jacketed. With its single chamber and longer barrel you might more quickly learn about sizing and lube depending where you see leading.

It's not that revolvers are difficult but they add a couple variables.

mdi
09-02-2013, 11:18 AM
I can't help you on starting equipment as I started extra low budget (a stove, a pot, a spoon, and a mold), and didn't graduate to "quality equipment" until I had cast about 1500 good, accurate 250 SWC for my .44s. Although you know what you want, I might suggest you start with a more common bullet design; like a Lyman 429421, .44 cal. 250 gr. SWC. No gas check needed and this design has been cast by the millions so every quirk and problem has been worked out and help available lots of places and here. I have shot some cast from wheel weights up to approx. 1300 fps in a Ruger SBH and a Dan Wesson 44H, real knuckle busters, and no leading. I have been shooting and casting lead in my 5, .44 Magnums for nearly 25 years and have found the bullet weights of 225 gr. to 265 gr. shoot best. I have some "anti-personnel" 300 gr. .44 Magnum bullets and they just aren't liked by my guns...

I believe casting is the single most satisfying part of "roll yer own" home loading. At least for me; I can take some dirty, greasy, gunky scrap lead and with just a little work wind up with some nice shiny, "perfect" bullets for my guns...

Welcome.

jimb16
09-02-2013, 11:39 AM
This is NOT addicting. Yesterday I sized and lubed 500 150 gr .30 Loverins and this morning I sized and lubed 500 135 gr 7mm, tomorrow I'll be making #9 shot.....And I can quit any time I feel like it.........If that ever happens!

45coltnut
09-02-2013, 10:02 PM
Thanks for all the info guys.

I live in Western KY, and if there's anyone close I'd love to discuss casting with you!

I think I'll find me a couple molds and will probably just ladle them from a cast iron pot to begin with. I've got lots to learn :) but, I'm eager. I just can't help thinking how satisfying it will be to take game with bullets you've cast yourself.

I've got lots of research to do now, especially on lubers and sizers.