PDA

View Full Version : Saeco #632 and the 30-30

JohnH
10-21-2007, 11:33 PM
Midway lists this bullet as being a .314 diameter, and it is, at the driving band on the base of the nose, from there it tapers up on each driving band till it reaches the base which is .322. I cast up a couple hundred and have have sized them to .310 and fired about 80 rounds in my 30-30. They shoot good, but it takes a lot of pressure to size the bullets down that much and I don't want to over work my 4500. I was hoping that I could use this bullet in my M44 as well, and it does shoot in that ok, but sizing to 314 for the Nagant still takes a good effort. I have a 314 and a 310 sizer die, but nothing between like say a 318. But man running bullets through 3 sizers would be a pile of work to get a bullet for my 30-30.

What started all this was to get back to plain base designs. With the cost of gas checks going out of sight, and the fact that I rarely shoot at velocities over 1400 fps, I really don't need gas checks or that extra cost anyway.

So I'm stuck. My choices seem to be continue to use this mold till I can replace it with one more appropriate in diameter (the RCBS 30-150 Cowboy looks like all that is commonly available) or just put up with a lot of extra work. Anyone out there been down a similar road to this that can offer some insight?

Bret4207
10-22-2007, 07:07 AM
IIRC this is a tapered design for a 32 cal rifle, 32-40 for example. I don't think it was ever intended to be sized like you're doing. Whether you continue is your choice. I'd find a PB design or find GC design I really like and have the GC milled off if I wanted a PB. That SAECO would probably pay for a new mould if you listed it on one of the auction sites.

Bob B
10-22-2007, 08:06 AM
Have you tried using the gas check bullets without the gas check,they shoot good at lower velocities for me.Bob B

Leftoverdj
10-22-2007, 08:48 AM
John, the easy solution would be to shuck them through a Lee Sizer first. Any reloading press has far greater strength and leverage than your 4500. Lee offers .314 as stock and you could easily lap one out a couple of thous.

If you could spare a handful of those bullets, I'd appreciate them. I'm looking to feed an 8x72 JR Sauer with a .318 bore.

I might also have a solution for your .30-30. I was in on the .30 Plinker group buy, and got a six cavity 150 grain RF PB TL. I'm not interested in parting with that mould permanently, but I have no immediate need for it and would be happy to lend it to you for a couple of weeks. At the rate that thing casts, you could lay in a lifetime supply.