PDA

View Full Version : Lee 44/255???

Guesser
09-01-2013, 12:35 PM
I bought this mold some 20+ years ago. Didn't use it but a couple times, put it away and forgot about it. Ran across it last week and decided to use it for some heavy 44 Specials. Looked at the Lee site and found they don't catalog it any longer. Does anyone here know when it was discontinued? Also, anyone have experiences to relate about using it?

bhn22
09-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Is that the one that looks like a wadcutter with an undersized dunces cap on it? That's a really old mold, mine was almost 20 years old when I sold it off at a gunshow for about $15.00. It shot pretty well, but wasn't exactly my idea of a hunting bullet so I sent it away.

fcvan
09-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Lee discontinued a number of molds along the way, as well as dropping single cavity and/or HP molds of some of their standard designs. Lee doesn't seem too interested in cataloging specialty molds, but will do custom runs through certain distributors. The 309-230 5R from Midway and the 225 Bator mold through Mid South are a couple of examples. I'm not sure what it would take to get such a thing organized but group buy molds and custom molds are readily available through various vendors here.

Guesser
09-01-2013, 02:22 PM
The 44/255 I've got is a SWC, PB, 3 loob grooves, crimp groove. Casts nice bullets but there is a minor difference in width of the base band between the 2 cavities. Doesn't seem to affect performance.