PDA

View Full Version : Just Got My Phone Call from the Shiloh Sharps Rifle Co.

Silver Jack Hammer
09-01-2013, 10:23 AM
Ordered the rifle 2 years ago August when I was in Montana, got my letter last December, 8 months ago and just got my phone call and paid the Federal tax. Should have it on the 5th. This is the first Sharps rifle I've owned. I've cast up some boolits from a Lyman 457125 Clint Smith gave me and I'm ready to go with the cleaning bucket and solutions, even made a black powder drop tube stand. Only days now, can't wait.

Circuit Rider
09-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Put a bib on when it arrives so you don't drool all over it! CR

alrighty
09-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Sweet , can't wait to see the pictures.What model?

41 mag fan
09-03-2013, 09:09 AM
One of these days I'm going out there to order my Sharps first hand, take the tour of the place and dehydrate from all the drooling. At least they will have clean floors from my drooling...just need someone to run a mop behind me!!

TXGunNut
09-03-2013, 11:24 PM
One of these days I'm going out there to order my Sharps first hand, take the tour of the place and dehydrate from all the drooling. At least they will have clean floors from my drooling...just need someone to run a mop behind me!!

Good plan, allow a day for the Cody Museum while you're in that part of the world. Oh, and another day for the Little Big Horn National Monument.

Silver Jack Hammer
09-04-2013, 10:30 AM
I ordered the 1874 Montana Roughrider 45/70 heavy barrel and upgraded the wood one category to semi fancy. Mostly my family talked me into upgrading the wood, I didn't care that much. Had to add one inch to the length of pull. I really wanted a checkered stock and a pistol grip, that was important to me. Lucinda had me shoulder a few display models and we discovered that I favored the lack of cheekpiece on the stock, hence the Montana Roughrider was chosen as my model. Lucinda suggested custom bedding which I had done. She also helped me with the rear sight and she had several different rear sight models on display for me to choose from. I got the #100 MVA long range soule. Also Mike Ventrino suggested the spirit level so I got one on the front sight. I toured the factory which there.

The trip to the Shiloh Sharps factory worked into a tour of the Mt. Rushmore and the Little Bighorn battlefield. Also I had assumed that I would be ordering a C. Sharps rifle due to favoring the forged over cast receiver, however being there gave me the opportunity to view the two companies finished products and I chose the Shiloh Rifle Mfg Co.

Clint Smith gave me a couple of boolit moulds and I have cast a bunch from purchased 20:1 and lubed them with Alox. Another thing I've done is buy a second luber sizer press to run Alox which was a very wise purchase.

country gent
09-04-2013, 10:44 AM
Alox will work with smokeless loads, if your planning on Black Powder loads you may want to try a diffrent lube for Black powder loads SPG is very good. Try them and see what works

Silver Jack Hammer
09-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Right, my mistake. Lubed the Sharps boolits with SPG for the Sharps and plan on using Black Powder exclusively. Alox has been in my first sizer luber but I'm going in the process of switching it over to SPG too.

bigted
09-04-2013, 11:09 PM
on the cleaning your size/lube machine I heard a particular trick that I tried and walla... werked like a charm. get a big pot and fill with plain ol water. now dunk yer sizer in and boil it for 5 minutes. with everything apart on the size/luber it will be completely clean of old lube and be ready for a new type lube to be introduced. another thing I discovered is to put the sizer dies in the boiling water to clean out the old lube as well.

by the by ... nice choice in Shiloh's ... this is my next rifle and im a bit cornfused yet as to cal ... been tempting myself with a 44-77 but the 40-65 calls me as well. the old 45-70 is a great choice tho but I got a herd of them already. choices choices !!!

Silver Jack Hammer
09-05-2013, 10:44 AM
bigted, I just use up the lube in the sizer luber and then add the next type of lube, by the time I run a stick of the next lube through the sizer luber most of the previous lube is gone. Then I just remove the H&I die and run hot tap water in that area of the sizer luber. Works great. When I bought my second sizer luber, there was a whole stick of lube already in it -I bought the press used. It was RCBS green lube. Worked great to lube a bunch of my smokeless powder boolits. Then I ran a stick of SPG through it an lubed more smokeless powdered boolits. Then I was ready to lube the Black Powder boolits. Didn't really fuss much with cleaning out the old lube and got a bunch of boolits sized and lubed.

TXGunNut
09-09-2013, 12:59 AM
Great choice on the rifle, I think I prefer a cheekpiece but will have to shoulder each before I order. I've considered a different sizer for my lube groove SP loads but will try SPG first. Sizer as had a steady diet of SPG, all the TL boolits go thru a Lee sizer. I "mount" my sizer with a C-clamp so swapping them out won't be much of a chore.
You are going to post pics of your new baby, aren't you?

bigted
09-09-2013, 02:27 AM
yep know that one but my Lyman was full of some black tacky crud and I cleaned it best I could but still had the crud so I boiled it ... walla ... clean as a baby's bottom.

TXGunNut
09-17-2013, 09:23 PM
Well, has that new baby showed up yet?

John Allen
09-17-2013, 09:52 PM
The shilohs are a real addiction.

Silver Jack Hammer
09-18-2013, 09:33 AM
Yes, I sure did receive it, and I started a new thread asking about a powder charge in my new Sharps. Got it right in the middle of our Fair, the busiest time of the year for overtime so I haven't had as much time as I'd like to work with it. But the overtime is good.

I'm having an issue in that I cast a bunch of 525 gr boolits 457125BV and I bought 100 Starline brass, but the loaded boolits will not chamber in the Sharps. So I can load my 457125BV into the four (4) pieces of Winchester brass I have, and I was able to cast up 405 gr 457193BV and these boolits will chamber when loaded into Starline brass. The issue is the tight chamber, thick Starline brass and long boolits create a restriction which will not allow the cartridge to seat in the chamber. The oversize occurs at the base of the long boolit with the thick brass. So I'm working with it in between all the other things that fill my days and weeks. My last range session was during dusk to dark under range lights.

bigted
09-18-2013, 01:43 PM
don't see any photo's of the new arrival yet !!!

Silver Jack Hammer
09-19-2013, 09:20 AM
I must be digitally challenged, I can't get the images to load onto Cast Boolits. The pics don't do the Sharps justice anyway.

ColColt
09-19-2013, 10:14 AM
I can't get the shortcut to work. It asks me to insert a DVD RW disk?

Go to PhotoBucket and open an account(free) you can upload photos there into different folders and call them whatever you want. You'll see several ways to post them in PM's, emails, or on forums like this. Copy the URL and insert it into your post and the photo will show up.

TXGunNut
09-19-2013, 09:29 PM
Tease!

ColColt
09-19-2013, 09:33 PM
Everyone's bug eyed and wringing their hands...pics or it didn't arrive.:smile:

Silver Jack Hammer
09-19-2013, 11:32 PM
Guys, I have been working on this, I just can't get the pics uploaded.

Silver Jack Hammer
09-19-2013, 11:33 PM
Oh, sure. Make a liar out of me.

Silver Jack Hammer
09-19-2013, 11:35 PM

Silver Jack Hammer
09-19-2013, 11:40 PM

TXGunNut
09-20-2013, 08:35 PM
Oh, man! She's beautiful! Congrats!

bigted
09-24-2013, 12:38 AM
that is the stuff. excellent choice. very nice rifle ... im jealous ... she is a beut.

I really impressed with the socks ... [smilie=s: ... [smilie=l:

alrighty
09-24-2013, 09:44 AM
Great looking rifle! Thanks for the pics.