PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Century FAL lower receiver?

MtGun44
09-01-2013, 01:58 AM
Found what MIGHT be a good deal on a Century FAL lower.
Any experience with these? Does the barrel clock properly or
need a good bit of barrel fitting to clock in? Any dimensional
problems that make for "issues" when fitting the parts?

I have used an Entreprise lower and had no problems, being
tempted be a much lower price for the Century, but their rep
is not much and I am leery of the quality.

Bill

leftiye
09-01-2013, 04:43 AM
I think their receivers are made by Imbel - the metric ones anyway. If you can find them the Imbel receivers with the gear logo are sought after. Hesse is another brand with a real bad rap (I don't think Century is near as disliked, a bunch of FAL remanufactures by CAI viewed as "cheap" are on the market though). I don't know all of the particulars, but anything disliked that intensely (Hesse) I avoid. Anything threaded into the receiver can require setting back and touching up the chamber. Clocking marks are real hard to make work for any receiver, as the thread on both the barrel and receiver can start anywhere the tool first contacts the metal. Easier to set up the chamber and then locate sights.

Artful
09-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Not sure about ser #'s but there have been a bunch of good Century receivers, some not GREAT but many good ones..
If it's marked made in Brazil it's Imbel in origin and imported before the cutoff.

Problems encountered often minor, some not so much.. the biggest issues where the ones with bad feed ramps. While these can be repaired it does take more skill.. Most of the defects begin when Century assembles them:evil:

and we are talking about the Upper not the Lower - the Upper is where the bolt and barrel are fitted.

An Imbel, DSA or Coonan will always be worth somewhat close to their purchase price.

Here's Mark's reveiw of Older Century Cast from 2009
http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/notes/notesfal/falcai/pagefalcai.shtml

www.falfiles.com/forums/printthread.php?threadid=83139

MtGun44
09-02-2013, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the link to the review. About what I was expecting, not what I
want to get into at this point. I will probably go with the Entreprise or maybe
spring for a DSA (top quality).

Bill

Shift1
09-09-2013, 11:26 PM
Early century receivers were either Imbel or Argentine. The new ones are castings. Barrel timing can be a **** shoot. You generally want 15-20 degrees of crush. Every build is different just depends on the parts being used.

MtGun44
09-10-2013, 12:49 AM
Decided to pay the $ and get a DSA - forged and top quality. Not too thrilled with several
Century builds, decided to avoid the "fun" of making one work properly.

Bill

Shift1
09-12-2013, 09:04 PM
Decided to pay the $ and get a DSA - forged and top quality. Not too thrilled with several
Century builds, decided to avoid the "fun" of making one work properly.

Bill

you will be happier in the end but, you may still have to mess with the timing a bit...

MtGun44
09-13-2013, 07:41 PM
When you say "timing" do you mean clocking the barrel to the receiver or perhaps
something in the gas system and feeding related?

Bill

baker1425
09-16-2013, 09:29 PM
I've seen several century FALS at the range. I don't think you'll have problems with their builds. IME, lots of people just don't understand the purpose of the FAL gas system regulator and are quick to blame century. (Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan)

When I was in a DSA 58 armorer school, the receiver quality was discussed. Newer equipment and taking all of the new manufacturing in house, getting away from surplus parts, and newer quality processes have helped their quality. Also, even though they've been overwhelmed, they have had good customer service.

nicholst55
09-17-2013, 02:30 PM
Some Century receivers are quite good; some fair, and some are essentially paper weights. If you're really interested, join the FAL Files and run a search. Be prepared to spend several hours reading.

IMHO. you made a good choice buying the DSA receiver. Now, if you can find a locking shoulder small enough to obtain proper headspace with, you'll be golden.

MtGun44
09-18-2013, 12:31 AM
I have the original locking shoulder and a mill, and a set of pin gauges. Shouldn't
be a problem unless it needs a larger one. Headspacing a FAL is pretty easy.

Bill