PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here, casting for 9.3x57

flyin'lead
09-01-2013, 12:53 AM
Greetings, I have been lurking and learning for a while here but I think its time to finally make a post. Upon purchasing a Husqvarna model 46 A (swedish mauser sporter) in the 9.3x57 cartridge, I decided it was time to get into casting. This old round is perfect for it, and the price of 9.3mm jacketed bullets is obscene.

I am using a 250 gr plain base boolit, sized to .367. Using clip on ww alloy, air cooled. Groove diameter of the rifle is .366, as shown by slugging.

My goal is a reduced plinking load at low pressure so I can use the plain base boolit. I have done some testing with H4895 and so far 32 gr of powder seems the best. I'm getting 1400 fps on the chrony and the groups are tiny at 50 yards, like almost all the shots touching.

The problem is it seems that my barrel must be leading because after 10 or 12 shots the accuracy falls apart, groups are 3 or 4 inches.

I realized my case necks were sized down way to far and were swagging the bullet down 1 or 2 thou. I made up a new expander ball for the resizing die and now the boolits stay the proper diamter when seated.

Sooooo..... my questions are..

first, could the boolits being 1 or 2 thou undersized by the case swagging have caused my leading problems? I haven't tested it out since, because the gun is in at the smith's.

Second, does anybody have experience with the 9.3x57? I want to know what my pressure is with this 32 gr load.. I am pretty sure it would be below 25 000 psi but don't know for sure. Hopefully I don't have to resort to a gas check and get a new mold. I have read that for this round you can use maximum .358 win data as starting loads, the rounds are somewhat similar.

Great community here, looking forward to the continued learning!