PDA

View Full Version : 30 Years ago this weekend..........

Zymurgy50
08-31-2013, 10:43 PM
30 years ago this weekend my lovely wife and I tied the knot. Last weekend my son and his lovely wife also tied the knot. I admit that it hasn't all been skittles and beer, but the good times greatly eclipse the not so good times.
At my son's wedding my wife and I were asked what was our secret to 30 years and without hesitation we both replied "We never go to bed mad at each other". There was a couple times that I went to work without any sleep the night before, but to tell the truth that has not happened in the last 25 years.
A month or so ago my son called me with a request, the kids wanted 2 nice bottles of wine for a wedding present. One to drink on their first anniversary, and one bottle in a nice box, They are going to write letters to each other and place them in the box. If they ever get to the point that they want to split up, they are going to open the wine and read the letters that they wrote before the wedding. Now I don't know diddly squat about wine, so I asked a friend who does and he set me up with 2 bottles of a nice rose, but neither one was boxed. A neighbor lady was wanting to do anything she could to help out with the wedding, and I asked her if she could find a nice wooden box that would hold a bottle of wine. I don't know where she found it, but a couple of days later I came home from work to find one sitting on the back porch.
Neither one of these fine people would take a dime for what they did for me and my son (and his lovely wife). When the kids get back from their honeymoon, I will let them know that if they ever feel the need to open the second bottle I will replace it whenever they need it...
Best wishes Ian and Racheal,
Dad.

nagantguy
08-31-2013, 10:56 PM
Best wishes to all, we need more of you guys who stick together and show the kids how its done. Good times and bad,always by each others side, way to go good for you!.

Bzcraig
08-31-2013, 11:41 PM
Music to my ears! Plans to resolve differences and not dissolve a marriage. Doesn't happen much anymore.

trochilids
09-01-2013, 12:51 AM
That really is an impressive story, Z. Thanks for sharing it.

Best wishes till death do you part for both you and your son's families.

mroliver77
09-01-2013, 03:32 AM
Very neat story. I said a prayer for their marriage and yours also. :)
J

09-01-2013, 08:07 AM
The letters and the wine are great idea. 25 years for wifey and me, the good times definitely out weigh the bad. Best wishes to all.

btroj
09-01-2013, 09:59 AM
I hit 25 years in 9 days. Would be lost without her.

1Shirt
09-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Good thread! Good idea! We are past 50 and not counting!
1Shirt!

Springfield
09-01-2013, 01:57 PM
20 years last May. We don't always get along but I am getting better at ignoring things that don't really matter. Just because someone says/does something that you think is stupid doesn't meant you have to tell them!

mroliver77
09-01-2013, 07:17 PM
Wife and I got married 28 years ago Oct 12. We get along great these days. We have been divorced for 7 years!;) We are still friends.
J

jeepyj
09-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Nice story for sure. I like that they are thinking ahead for resolve. It has been 26 years this year for my bride and I. She's supported most every hair brained idea I've had or at least talked sense into me when I'm too stupid. I'd do it the same all over again!
Jeepyj

bear67
09-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Great story with the wine. Mama Bear and I are on 46 and counting. Our kids are at 20, 17, and 14 and all are in committed strong relationships. God has blessed our family.

I tell everyone that if Mama leaves me, I am going with her!

fixit
09-01-2013, 10:33 PM
TODAY is 29 years, and while it hasn't always been easy, it has been good. I do love my wife!!!

Rick N Bama
09-02-2013, 01:24 PM
If we both live until tomorrow we will have been married for 46 years! Tomorrow is also my wife's ??th birthday:)

We were married a few days after I arrived back home from AF Basic Training & Tech School. After having been married for only 3 weeks I left headed to an assignment in Viet Nam.

Rick