PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from Tennessee eat squirrel????

abunaitoo
08-31-2013, 08:59 PM
I'm looking for someone, in Tennessee, who hunts squirrel to eat.
My sister is coming home for a visit, in a couple of weeks.
I asked her if she could bring some squirrel meat for me, and the gang, to try.
I guess she's in the city, Spring Hill, and didn't know anyone who even eats squirrel.
I'm looking for some meat, and a good recipe, to feel about 10 people.

No we don't have any four legged squirrel's in Hawaii.
Lots of two legged one's, but it illegal to shoot them.

williamwaco
08-31-2013, 09:15 PM
How is she going to get them there?

starmac
08-31-2013, 09:20 PM
Gettin them there would be the easy part, compared to getting a tenneseeian to give up enough squirrels to put on a feed. lol

JWFilips
08-31-2013, 09:27 PM
Well I'm a bit farther north, but Squirrel is good eatin In Red Sauce & Pasta or Brown sauce with dumplins. Just got to get enough of the critters for a meal. Our Northern Greys don't grow real big but they are tender if they had a good season.

btroj
08-31-2013, 10:10 PM
Does anyone in TN not eat squirrel?

aspangler
08-31-2013, 10:18 PM
I'm in Tennessee and I eat plenty of squirrels. I am fortunate in that I have 87 acres with exclusive premission to hunt and it is loaded with fox squirrels. NO I am not going to ship any to Hawaii. Sorry but they are going in MY freezer for the winter meat along with every deer I can get. (Not many, unfortunately):redneck:[smilie=b:

starmac
08-31-2013, 10:32 PM
I could ship you some of our squirrels, but you would probably ship them back outta spite. lol

41 mag fan
08-31-2013, 10:35 PM
Fry em up..if they're old ones, put in a roaster pan with about a 1/2" of water in. Turn on oven to 350, cook for about 30-45min.
They'll come out tender, the breading will be crispy still
Take the oil you use to fry em up, make some gravy for mashed potatoes.
MMMMMMMMMM........glad i'm going squirrel hunting in the morning

MaryB
09-01-2013, 12:04 AM
Season opens here i 2 weeks, looking forward to it, few squirrels, maybe a rabbit or two...

Down South
09-01-2013, 06:47 PM
Not from Tennesee but mom lived there for a number of years. Squirrel just happens to be one of my favorite foods. When I was younger, I would sometimes bag 100 or more per year. I don't get to hunt them like I once did. I'm limited on hunting area now and I don't care much about hunting reserves.
The tougher fox squirrels need to be simmered in water until tender, time can vary. I like them best battered and fried but they go well in gumbo or cooked down in a gravy.

gray wolf
09-01-2013, 08:33 PM
Are they any different than Maine Squirrels ?
ours taste like Chicken.

starmac
09-01-2013, 11:29 PM
Personally I always thought squirrel tasted like squirrel and chicken tasted like chicken. I like them fried and smothered in gravy with taters.
But they are great cooked like chicken and dumplins too.

abunaitoo
09-02-2013, 04:32 AM
Didn't know there was such a thing as squirrel hunting season.
I thought it was shoot anytime.
Haven't been to the "Lower 48" in a while, but I remember in Yellowstone squirrels were all over the place.

41 mag fan
09-02-2013, 09:31 AM
Didn't know there was such a thing as squirrel hunting season.
I thought it was shoot anytime.
Haven't been to the "Lower 48" in a while, but I remember in Yellowstone squirrels were all over the place.

Those squirrels would taste like pine...from eating the pine cones. Good tasting squirrels eat the acorns, and hickorys. Walnuts will give them a slightly bitter taste, but they still eat.

Down South
09-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Those squirrels would taste like pine...from eating the pine cones. Good tasting squirrels eat the acorns, and hickorys. Walnuts will give them a slightly bitter taste, but they still eat.
The squirrels here will taste like pine too if you have a lot of pine timber and the cones are just making. During the fall when season opens, the pine cones have matured and the squirrels have stopped eating them.

jwber
09-04-2013, 06:34 PM
I've got about a week and a half till the opener. I plan on going this year, haven't gone squirrel hunting in about a decade but I'm looking to eat more wild game other than just deer. That fun organic meat :)