PDA

View Full Version : Dell computer

Scrounger
10-21-2007, 06:19 PM
My piece of garbage 5 month old Dell Computer is acting up. It says it has a problem and suggests I do a system restore to see if that will handle the problem. I do it and then get a note that my SQL Server is corrupt and I need to uninstall it and then re-install it. Then windows shuts down and it takes 5 trys to get it up again. Having no idea what an SQL is, I search my computer and finally find it in my program files. I now know how to uninstall it through Control Panel- Add/or/Remove programs. Question is how do I find the SQL and reinstall it? I hate Dell.

Kraschenbirn
10-21-2007, 07:07 PM
Scrounger...

Unlke Al Gore, I don't claim to have invented the Internet, but I was "online" before there was a WWW. (My first programming course used IBM punch cards and my first "online" connection was the old DARPA/Univ. of IL "Plato" system). The best computer investment I ever made was my copy of "Fix Your Own PC" by Corey Sandler. Well written and understandable, the book covers about everything (and then some!) that the average computer user will ever need to know.

Microsoft has an SQL 2005 website ( http://www.microsoft.com/sql/default.mspx ) as does Dell
( http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/sitelets/solutions/software/db/microsoft_sql_2005?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz ). One or the other may provide you with a download for reinstall.

Bill

No_1
10-21-2007, 07:51 PM
If your Dell is only 5 months old there is a method of restoring the computer to an as received default condition. Downside is you will lose any user installed programs or files. I did it to my 6 month old dell laptop today, it only took about 15 minutes and it was just like it was the first time I turned it on. If you need help with this feature send me a PM and I will talk you through it.

R.

My piece of garbage 5 month old Dell Computer is acting up. It says it has a problem and suggests I do a system restore to see if that will handle the problem. I do it and then get a note that my SQL Server is corrupt and I need to uninstall it and then re-install it. Then windows shuts down and it takes 5 trys to get it up again. Having no idea what an SQL is, I search my computer and finally find it in my program files. I now know how to uninstall it through Control Panel- Add/or/Remove programs. Question is how do I find the SQL and reinstall it? I hate Dell.

Jim
10-21-2007, 08:07 PM
My Senior Army Instructor told me "There are very few problems that can't be solved with a proper application of high explosives".

Forgive me, I just couldn't resist.

Junior1942
10-21-2007, 08:32 PM
If it's only 5 months old, it's still under warranty. Call Dell.

Scrounger
10-21-2007, 09:52 PM
Junior, I'd rather take a beating than get involved with their Customer "Service"...

Underclocked
10-21-2007, 11:57 PM
Have you (in those 5 months) kept a current and updated anti-virus program as well as a current and updated anti-spyware program? Have you performed full scans with those programs? Have you performed some routine of hard drive maintenance (disk defragmenter is automated by default in Vista)? If no to any - you were lucky to last so long. :)

Dell's usually come with a 90 day trial of one of the major security packages unless you make another choice during the ordering process. If that is all you had (the trialware) then you very likely have a virus or malicious spyware on your hard drive and system restore generally does not help with such monsters.

Please let me know what you have with regard to those questions and whether the machine is Vista or XP. Maybe we can things straightened out - IF you have a fast connection.

testhop
10-22-2007, 02:04 PM
My Senior Army Instructor told me "There are very few problems that can't be solved with a proper application of high explosives".

jim i wonder if that army instuctor will take care of a little parking problum we have on my street

same i couldn resist eather

tom

testhop
10-22-2007, 02:10 PM

jim
i was wondering if that old army instructor would takecare of a little
parking problum,we have on my street

forgive me i couldntresist eather

tom

Topper
10-22-2007, 11:12 PM
FYI,
SQL Server is expensive software, 2005 is over $1,000.00.
I understand about not wanting to call support, but if you are under warranty, best advice is use it.

Scrounger
10-22-2007, 11:44 PM
Thanks for all your help guys, problem solved.

Lee
10-23-2007, 02:59 AM
Scrounger, what'd ya do?? C4?:twisted:................Lee:wink:

Scrounger
10-23-2007, 01:37 PM
Wiljen told me what to do. Basically, my computer did not come with the SQL7 2005, it was imbedded in some software I had downloaded. It did not leave when I removed the other software and it wanted to start every time my computer was turned off. Wiljen helped me turn it off and then remove it from my computer.

standles
10-24-2007, 12:17 AM
Cool

I had the same problem. It came with an update from microsoft. Basically you needed to uninstall all the sql stuff in the add/remove program list and reboot.

Glad you got it handled.

Steven