PDA

View Full Version : Lee Pro 20 Issue...need advise

ShooterAZ
08-31-2013, 01:25 PM
The shoulder bolt at the top of the pot, for the valve arm has apparently stripped and won't stay tight. My first though was JB weld on the threads. Any other suggestions? Thanks...Shooter.

slim1836
08-31-2013, 01:30 PM
Put a small metal wire in the hole and replace the screw, trim off excess wire.

Slim

Shiloh
08-31-2013, 04:08 PM
JB or any other epoxy will gum up and disintegrate under the heat.
Use the method above, or remove the cradle and peen the hole a bit.

Shiloh

ShooterAZ
08-31-2013, 04:29 PM
OK, Thanks. I will try the wire trick first.

geargnasher
08-31-2013, 11:07 PM
I took mine apart when that happened, inserted the screw back into the channel fully, and peened the edges back around the screw, embossing the metal into the threads. As a bonus, with the screw still in place, I TiG welded the channel closed around the screw so it wouldn't spread and strip again.

Epoxy is indeed ineffective for this repair.

Gear

ShooterAZ
09-01-2013, 11:25 AM
I just fixed it. The wire trick didn't work because it's in such a tight spot. I ended up taking it apart and squeezing the screw race with channel lock pliers. This pot is a crappy design. Iv'e only had mine for a little over a year. No wonder the Lyman and RCBS are 5 times the price. I'm sure they are built to last forever.

geargnasher
09-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Check the screws for tightness every session, they strip out when they work loose and you don't notice it until the linkage snags under the screw bushing. All that jostling around with the screw being loose wears out the "threads" in the extruded channel.

Another tip: Lube the linkage and bushings with two-cycle engine oil every casting session.

Gear

Mal Paso
09-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Check the screws for tightness every session, they strip out when they work loose and you don't notice it until the linkage snags under the screw bushing.
Gear

If the bottom one comes loose, the linkage can catch on the screw shoulder, and you can't shut the lead off. Good for a couple minutes of excitement 'till you figure it out.

geargnasher
09-01-2013, 04:29 PM
+1 Mal Paso, happened to me more than once. I always keep a bread pan or ingot mould under my pot or within arm's reach when using the Lee pots, it CAN get exciting sometimes and more than one person has lost a lot of property to fire from unattended or attended pot malfunctions.

Gear

Shiloh
09-01-2013, 07:18 PM
I just fixed it. The wire trick didn't work because it's in such a tight spot. I ended up taking it apart and squeezing the screw race with channel lock pliers. This pot is a crappy design. Iv'e only had mine for a little over a year. No wonder the Lyman and RCBS are 5 times the price. I'm sure they are built to last forever.

I've had mine a long time. Yeah, they are built cheaply, but with maintenance and keeping things tight and adjusted they work good.

Shiloh

prs
09-13-2013, 08:31 PM
We are lazy.

If you are a pilot, or if you operate a motorcycle; then you learn to think nothing about checking your equipment BEFORE use. There is not that much to check in this case. Lee's fault may be in not providing a better operater's manual'

prs

45-70 Chevroner
09-13-2013, 11:11 PM
I can asure you a lyman will not last forever. I wore one out in about 10 years. I don't know about the RCBS but the lyman was well built. I have been using a Lee Pro 20 for longer than 10 years, and it is still working and functioning just fine. I did have to buy a rebuild kit for the handle and valve arm.

Moonie
09-13-2013, 11:58 PM
On the lee sight their support talks about a fix involving a brass eyelet and sheet metal screw