PDA

View Full Version : 777 pellets

NSP64
10-21-2007, 04:42 PM
Has anyone tried 777 pellets with a #11 primer system?

mooman76
10-21-2007, 11:15 PM
I could be wrong but I think they recommend somthing a little hotter than #11 caps for the pellets.

Lloyd Smale
10-22-2007, 07:23 AM
I got hang fires with even pyrodex pellets in cold weather with #11s and 777 is harder to ignite then pyrodex. With #11s i woudnt get any fancier then bulk pyrodex.

testhop
10-22-2007, 08:13 AM
poor igniteion of #11 is the reason the firearms co. started useing shotgun primer
note :dont break or crush the pellets as it will cause eracted ignition

cattleskinner
10-22-2007, 10:00 AM
If you are dead set on using those pellets, they make after market replacement nipples that use a musket cap. Should get you plenty of heat to light them off.

~Amos

NSP64
10-29-2007, 11:22 PM
got some 777 50/50 pellets and went to the range, stuffed 2 (100gr eqiv) in, followed it down with a sabot and 252 gr round nose .429 boolit. lit it off but only achieved 1350 fps:( guess I'll stick with pyro rs loose.100gr=1800fps:drinks: tried several times, had to go with 3 pellets to get 1600 fps.:castmine:

Rattus58
10-30-2007, 01:09 AM
You'll probably prefer loose anyway... way more versatile... :)

Aloha... :cool:

fenris
10-31-2007, 12:42 AM
Used pyro pellets had lots of hang fires. figure the 777 pellets may be the same. I use Pyro RS but before i start using a new can i sift it because of the small and large granule's. The first sift is done with a fine screen to separate real fine powder ( use in flintlock flash pan ) the second i use a common flower hand held sifter like grandma used to make biscuits and bread. this makes it more uniformed and better volume measuring. kind of makes RS into Select but cheaper on the pocket. any large granule's left i crush up for the flash pan.

piwo
10-31-2007, 10:54 PM
Used pyro pellets had lots of hang fires. figure the 777 pellets may be the same. I use Pyro RS but before i start using a new can i sift it because of the small and large granule's. The first sift is done with a fine screen to separate real fine powder ( use in flintlock flash pan ) the second i use a common flower hand held sifter like grandma used to make biscuits and bread. this makes it more uniformed and better volume measuring. kind of makes RS into Select but cheaper on the pocket. any large granule's left i crush up for the flash pan.

Hmmmmmm..... I've crushed pyro for the flash pan before and it tended to sizzle for up to 2 full seconds before a spark would enter the pan (if ever). I cannot agree with this technique. BP only for the pan: doesn't matter if it’s, 3F or 4F, it lights instantly and pyrodex does not. Ground up pyrodex even if it's ground to flour consistency won't light off fast enough for repeatable, reliable ignition in my experience and those I shoot with. Having said that, I shot some of my best groups doing that since after the "CLAK" of the flint striking the frizen, I had LOTS of time to reacquire my site picture and hold steady hoping for a "BOOM"... My friend Mike still laughs his *^$ off tells the story of the deer I shot in such a manner. He said he still marvels over how long I kept the sites on the deer after the initial trigger pull, and was dumbfounded when the rifle went off.

BTW... The geometry of my touch hole to pan is perfect..... It's the powder that makes it go off instantly or not.............

If you're having success with this, well, no arguing with success. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone