PDA

View Full Version : C&R Question

08-31-2013, 08:57 AM
I sent my application in, and see they billed my card the $30.00. Does that mean they are going to approve it or that they are using my money for a few months? Sent it in a couple week ago.

w5pv
08-31-2013, 10:47 AM
In Tx,they bill win lose or draw.

Tonto
08-31-2013, 10:51 AM
Not necessarily. I sent in a renewal, they cashed my check then said the renewal was late. Took me six months to get a refund, they would not apply it towards a "new" application. You will know what happens when you get your license or get a rejection notice. My phone conversations were with a woman who barely spoke English. I had the threaten contacting my congressman to get them to move. I honestly believe I never would have seen a refund otherwise. Pay attention to the renewal deadline too as this was mostly my fault.

08-31-2013, 11:13 AM
Just as the IRS uses your money for a year, the ATF uses your money while your application is processed. Don't be surprised if it takes longer than the stated time period, as the current administration is noticeably more inept and corrupt than usual.

If you've received neither a license nor a refund within that time period, give them a call. The times that I did, the ladies were very polite and most helpful. E-mail works, too.

09-01-2013, 07:57 PM
OK
thanks for the replies

aspangler
09-01-2013, 08:53 PM
They use your money as long as they can. By law they have to either approve and issue the license or deny and inform you within 60 days of receipt of your application. Mine was not heard from in 58 days when I called on Thursday. They contacted me by phone on Friday and wanted to know if I had copies that I could fax or email them. I emailed the copies that afternoon and had my license on Monday. If you don't hear anything within the allotted time call them.

Jeff Michel
09-01-2013, 09:05 PM
Should take something around a month or six weeks. I had mine in four. I did get my CC bill before I got my license. I doubt they would bill you if there was a problem. The agency (USDA) that I work for bills people all the time but they only will do it if they receive a service, not based on "could or might" receive. Call them and ask them as aspangler's post suggests.

Lonegun1894
09-02-2013, 03:02 AM
Mine took 3-4 months to get to me, but I sent them a MO with my application. I don't like having to ask permission for anything like this, so went into it with a distrustful attitude to begin with, but they have been short, yet professional and helpful the very few times I called with any questions.

NoZombies
09-02-2013, 03:46 AM
I wrote check, and it took less than 3 weeks mailbox to mailbox.

09-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Well they sent it back I forgot my date of birth. oops

T-Dogg
09-04-2013, 11:34 PM
Dang! I sent my form off yesterday, must have checked it 6 or 7 times through to make sure I didn't have any silly mistakes. Knowing my luck I would do something similar :veryconfu

09-05-2013, 06:09 AM
I'm kinda interested what they will say on the question about Chief law enforcement official. Because I am the county sheriff. Not sure I can sign off on my own paper work but we'll see what they want me to do.

09-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Regarding the local chief law enforcement officer: All that is necessary is to give him or her a copy of your application. No signing off is required.

Lonegun1894
09-05-2013, 11:59 PM
That's what I did. I mailed mine certified to the SO HQ here in town, and it got returned as undeliverable. Well, I took it, still in the same unopened envelope, drove down there, showed it to the first deputy I found and asked if the address on the envelope was correct. I was told it was, so I handed it to him, told him it was paperwork I am required to send to his boss and asked him to hand it in to the Sherriff, which he said he would do, and got my C&R without any trouble after. Now that deputy did ask why I was filing for a C&R and how to do it for himself when I explained to him what it allows. We may have another one... :)

09-06-2013, 06:23 AM
I have received several copies of FFLs but no C&Rs.

2wheelDuke
09-06-2013, 09:33 AM
I was living in the city I worked in when I applied for a C&R. I went upstairs before roll call and dropped the CLEO copy at the chief's office. His secretary said she was familiar with the C&R license and had seen the form plenty of times before.

09-24-2013, 06:15 AM
I came in the mail yesterday

Lonegun1894
09-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Congrats!!! That was quicker than mine.

09-24-2013, 07:35 PM
I can't complain at all.

flint_knapper
09-30-2013, 09:21 AM
time to start buying safes to fill up with lovley nagants, mausers, lever guns too.
don't forget some interesting pistola's that are still around.

09-30-2013, 09:48 AM
Is there a resource to find out what a C&R is? I looked on the ATF site and the best I could find was old levers. It said that once something turns 50 years old it's a C&R. Does that mean a 5 screw Smith revolver??

09-30-2013, 11:22 AM
Fifty-years-old is but one of several qualifiers. You should received a package that explains much, has FAQs, and a booklet* that lists qualifying guns. The ATF web-site has all the information, too.

* I received the booklet, but a friend did not.

Do not sign the original license. Instead, make copies and sign them as needed. Don't forget to submit copies to the equipment and parts sellers that offer discounts to C&R licensees.

aspangler
09-30-2013, 11:28 AM
Do not sign the original license. Instead, make copies and sign them as needed. Don't forget to submit copies to the equipment and parts sellers that offer discounts to C&R licensees.

A+ to that. Grafs and Midway will set you up a dealer account if you want. I did and it save a LOT of money. Send copies of the license to every dealer you can google. You will be surprised at the increase in your mail deliveries! :bigsmyl2:

10-03-2013, 09:38 PM
My packet came yesterday.

historicfirearms
10-04-2013, 06:23 AM
I had a C and R license years ago but let it expire. Lately I've been thinking about getting another, but wondering if its really worth it. Looking at some of the old places I used to buy stuff, it seems like most of the surplus guns have dried up, no longer being imported.