PDA

View Full Version : do your top punches leave a ring on your boolits?

trickyasafox
10-21-2007, 04:20 PM
I just recently got my first lube sizer in trade -

and while lubing some lyman 356 TC boolits in a 357 sizer and a Lyman 43 TP- i got nice concentric rings around all of my bullets.

is my TP not a good fit or is this normal? it appears to be only aesthetic, but i wondered if anyone else had similar experiences?

JeffinNZ
10-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Some do but provided the ring is the same on all the bullets I don't mind.

RANGER RICK
10-21-2007, 05:29 PM
When that happens I cut 1/2" squares off electrical tape and apply it to the top punch and problem goes away .
Sometimes a couple pieces of tape is needed .

RR

Kraschenbirn
10-21-2007, 06:52 PM
Ring around nose(s) of sized bullets shouldn't create any serious problems so long as you're not excessively deforming the bullet. However, if you find those rings too offensive, a bit of rework on the top punch will correct the situation.

Method #1: Clean the top punch thoroughly to remove all bullet lube, lead scrapings, etc. (I use alcohol and cotton swabs) Fill the punch cavity with AcraGlass (or any 2-part filled epoxy) and reinstall it in your lubrisizer. Coat a bullet with release agent and start it into the expoxy-filled punch just like you were about to resize it but don't push the bullet all the way into the sizing die...halfway will work nicely. Let the epoxy harden completely and, after the excess epoxy (flash) is cleaned off the punch, you've got a top punch perfectly fitted to the nose of your bullets.

Method #2: Chuck the offending top punch up in your (or, maybe, your buddy's) drillpress. With the drill press running at low speed, coat the nose of a bullet with #2 valve grinding compound and press lightly into the punch cavity. Repeat until you've opened the punch to achieve 100% contact with bullet nose, then, deburr the sharp edge around the punch cavity with the corner of a a carborundum or arkansas stone.

Bill

montana_charlie
10-21-2007, 09:23 PM
Fill the punch cavity with AcraGlass (or any 2-part filled epoxy) and reinstall it in your lubrisizer.
An alternative is to use hot glue instead of two-part epoxy.

It's faster, and you can jerk it out (someday) if you want to fit that punch to a different bullet shape.
CM

shooter575
10-22-2007, 08:46 AM
By heating up the top punch to 300 deg the epoxie fill come out also