PDA

View Full Version : Info on a #4

KCSO
08-21-2005, 12:26 AM
I have a chance to buy a 303 #4 in very good condition with an excellent bore and a good all walnut stock. The gun doesn't have any markings I am familiar with and looks to have turkish squiggles on the left side of the receiver. A turked #4???? I have a Long Branch a Savage and a GRI but who made these for the Turks??? I thought I had seen every 303 made till I saw this one. This is/was a Century import and is so marked on the bbl. The gun is in a local Dunhams so I can't tear it doen to check for other markings and the stock is not stamped. At $125.00 I may get it just to fill a space on the rack.

NVcurmudgeon
08-21-2005, 02:15 AM
Besides the Turkish squiggles on the receiver, is there any marking on the left side of the butt socket? Sometimes L-E markings are very faint. For most of the 20th century Turkey was influenced by Germany, and later, the US. The British had some close relations with Arabic speaking Iraq and Jordan right after WWII. If old milsurps could only talk!

Four Fingers of Death
08-21-2005, 07:54 AM
The Police forces from Australia helped local forces police Cyprus for many years. This was part of a UN operation. I don't know if others were involved. There was also a lot of action in Aden and other sand pits by the Brits and they would have equipped a lot of local allies. Just a thought. Mick.

PS, last minute idea. Its not an Indian or Afghan rifle is it? they produced their own, but the Indians usually stuck with the SMLE and made an upgraded version with stronger metal.

KCSO
08-21-2005, 12:30 PM
I pretty much determined to pick it up so I will try and post some photo's next week. As far as I know the Afgan rifles were Indian or Pakistani made and should be GRI or POF. Most curious and I guess I should have one just to round out the 303's.