PDA

View Full Version : A good "Black" optical sight paint

JWFilips
08-30-2013, 10:25 PM
Since I have worked 40 years + in the professional Photography business...... In the past I was able to obtain from Kodak an Optical flat black "Brushing lacqure" that was the berries for dulling the sights on my firearms! Well now that they have disappeared can anyone recommend a "True" matte flat black sight paint that doesn't reflect light? I have an early model S&W 15 which has the stepladder front sight & That just kills me! It never looks dark even though it isn't worn.

My Model 19 & Pre-27 have the nice target (Flat cut ) front sights which work really well.

I'm not a fan of the bright sights or the cut in inserts Just want traditional Flat Black sights for target work

felix
08-30-2013, 10:33 PM
Yep, I prefer the 90 degree plastic toy impregnation. I even converted my Pythons to that S&W design, including the toy inserts. ... felix

Win94ae
08-31-2013, 12:30 AM
I'm not a fan of the bright sights or the cut in inserts Just want traditional Flat Black sights for target work

I can't stand those sights either! I was looking for a little bit shorter sight and the only one I could find the proper size had a bronze mirror on it. [smilie=b:

BD
08-31-2013, 10:45 AM
For a quick temporary solution I have often used a small twist of the old style masking tape, lit on fire it emits a very black soot that will get you through a match if there's not a lot of re-holstering involved.
BD

Petrol & Powder
08-31-2013, 10:57 AM
I've used a carbide miners lamp to produce soot but it's PITA to set up just to smoke one sight blade and the soot wears off quickly (although it's about the "flattest" black you'll find). I've used a sharpie felt tip marker in a pinch in bright sunlight with a stainless fixed sighted gun but the ink still has some shine to it. It's better than nothing but far from ideal. I'm sure someone on this forum has a solution.

Aunegl
08-31-2013, 11:27 AM
http://sport.birchwoodcasey.com/ProductSearchResults/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=40816e9b-f3ec-4008-a014-3c25963f2544

I used to use this stuff, during my silhouette shooting days.

Win94ae
08-31-2013, 12:12 PM
http://sport.birchwoodcasey.com/ProductSearchResults/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=40816e9b-f3ec-4008-a014-3c25963f2544

I used to use this stuff, during my silhouette shooting days.

That is what I use to knock the shine off of my sights when needed.

john hayslip
08-31-2013, 12:39 PM
Flat black model airplane dope comes in small bottles and a small bottle of thinner and paint will last a long time. Between them they take up about 2 cubic inches of space and the stuff lasts a long time when applied to sights. Got both on my reloading bench. Can find them any place they sell plastic models. It lasts a long time per application. Here in Texas I believe they passed a law some time ago making the sale of carbide illegal - so I can't refill my carbide lamp..

JWFilips
08-31-2013, 03:06 PM
Well That Kodak stuff was used for painting the inside of cameras & optical equipment It was dead black and dried instantly because it was lacqure ( toluene base).
I can't believe that they were the only ones marketing the stuff ( however I did run across a firm in England making some thing similar)
I do have some model paint here but it isn't very matte for a flat black. I never tried the Birchwood Casey stuff so for those that have do you think it would be worth a try? Smoke is good but it is easily brushed off

HeavyMetal
08-31-2013, 07:58 PM
The Birchwood casey siht black works very well but is not permanent in any way!

That's why they sell it in a fairly good sized spray bottle which last a good while, if it helps I am never without a bottle in my range gear it does wonders to make Stainless Steel guns shoot to POA but the look on the owners face when you "paint" his pistol is priceless!

fourarmed
09-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Brownell's sells a black powder that can be mixed with paint or epoxy. You could probably use the masking tape trick to coat a piece of metal, then pick some up with a paint brush dipped in black lacquer. Wouldn't take much for sights.

km101
09-04-2013, 08:20 PM
I have used the flat black spray paint from Walmart with good results. Just spray some on a piece of cardboard and use a very small brush to apply to your front sight. Make sure that the sight is CLEAN before you start or the paint wont stick.

Tatume
09-05-2013, 06:59 AM
I just ordered a Birchwood Casey - Super Black Instant Touch-up Pen.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/metal-bluing/touch-up-pens/super-black-instant-touch-up-pen-prod4942.aspx

I have not tried one before.

Take care, Tom

carbine86
09-05-2013, 08:29 AM
The sight black spray can stuff is what we used in the Marines for qualing at the range. Just a little spray on the front sight good all day. Over half the can was left after 5 days of using it everyday on around 80 rifles.