PDA

View Full Version : Springfield (actually Remington) 03 sight question

Wayne Smith
08-30-2013, 07:57 PM
I'm still about 5" high at 100 yds. Does anyone who has done this know of a commonly available piece of metal that is the right thickness for a sight blade? I do know how to use a file and do have one or two! It's also got to be hard enough that it won't distort easily.

missionary5155
08-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Howdy
The front is held by a pin.. drift it out. Gonna have to anyway. Micrometer and you have it.
I would solder a piece of brass rod to the top while it was off.
I do not remember if there is enough room below the drift pin hole to drill the hole lower. That would raise it. Add a steel base in the sight groove to fill the gap.
Mike in Peru

rmcc
08-30-2013, 08:26 PM
There were 5 different front sight blades manufactured to deal with that problem. I believe the Marines had a somewhat different style blade.

rmcc

Scharfschuetze
08-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Wayne,

You've probably already done the math, but if not:

For a 1903 A3, 1 MOA is .0081" of sight movement so for a 5" drop in elevation, you'll want a sight that is "about" .04" taller than your current front sight. Perhaps start with a front sight a bit taller and then file to zero at the range.

Wayne Smith
08-30-2013, 09:24 PM
Wayne,

You've probably already done the math, but if not:

For a 1903 A3, 1 MOA is .0081" of sight movement so for a 5" drop in elevation, you'll want a sight that is "about" .04" taller than your current front sight. Perhaps start with a front sight a bit taller and then file to zero at the range.

thanks for that, math and I are not close friends. Numerical dyslexia has something to do with that. I was envisioning getting something I already had in the garage or easily available at the local hardware store but don't know steel well. The two I have now appear to be very hard steel. Yes, I can copy one that much higher. Just have to get my mike out and take it to the hardware store.

UBER7MM
08-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Wayne,

Take a small hose clamp and drill a hole into one side. Then take a thin 4d nail with a head, and stick it through the hole from the inside of the hose clamp. Tape to the barrel to protect the finish where a bayonet would be fixed. Then tighten the hose clamp on the barrel in front of your existing site. The temporary site will be seen above the existing front site blade as you look through the rear site. Take a pair of wire cutters with you to the range. You be able to cut the nail down until you get your shots to groups where you desire. The front site nail will then be the correct height you'll need to purchase or manufacture to replace your existing site blade. You might take several spare nails to the range in case you over cut the first nail.

I hope this helps,

MtGun44
09-03-2013, 03:28 PM
Try to locate some 4130 steel sheet in the correct thickness. Wicks Aircraft should have it.

Here is a link to a .025x9x9 sheet of 4130 chrome molybdenum steel, if that is the correct
thickness. $7.05 plus shipping. Best cut large with hacksaw and filed and ground to final
dimensions. Hard and tough as it, can be heat treated to MUCH harder, but not needed
in this application. If thinner is needed, let me know.

http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircraft.com/item/aircraft-metal-tubes-channels-angles/4130-chromoly-steel-sheet/sh025x9x9-41?

Bill

catmandu
09-04-2013, 12:14 PM
MtGun44 has good info. I've bought from them and done well.

My first step is to check the washer can, (you do have a coffee can full of washers don't you)
I can usually find close to the right thickness and if you use plain steel it will blue up real nice.
If you are handy silver solder a cut finishing nail on top to act a a bead front sight.
Think pumkin on a post.

Paul in WNY

vernm
09-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Take a look at this: http://www.usrifleteams.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21900&hl=%2B03a3+%2Bfront+%2Bsight

If you have an old 7" circular saw blade in your scrap box, try that for the correct thickness to make a standard front sight.
Tough enough not to bend, but may be hard to blue. Maybe spray on sight black would work.

MtGun44
09-04-2013, 11:33 PM
I read on another thread that .050 was the correct thickness.

If correct thickness, here is the .050 piece.

http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircraft.com/item/aircraft-metal-tubes-channels-angles/4130-chromoly-steel-sheet/sh050x9x9-41?

Bill

Wayne Smith
09-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Thanks, I never would have found those links, not being in that business.

MtGun44
09-05-2013, 10:20 PM
Bought a LOT from Wicks over the years building my plane. It was a good place
back then, no current experience, but probably still good company.

Bill

Bob S
09-05-2013, 11:35 PM
If this an '03, and not an 03A3, just substitute an 03A3 front sight blade. You will have to file a bit off of the bottom of the 03A3 blade to get the hole for the pin to line up. '03 blade on the right, 03A3 blade on the left.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/BobS1/Springfield%2003s/0303A3frontsights.jpg

Resp'y,
Bob S.