PDA

View Full Version : Dillon Trimmer 1200B problems, rough cut and shaving staying on..

orisolo
08-30-2013, 03:18 PM
I just got my new RT1200b trimmer from Dillon.
Im using it to trim my 300 blackout on a Dillon 1050 Super.
Die is from CH4D.

I doing a rough cut on the brass using a chopsaw to about 1.360-65.
When running the brass through the press im getting about 50% of the brass with ugly rough cut with shavings still connected to it.
Im not sure what im doing wrong?

I think this is not how it should be.
Do i need to "break in" the cutter on the Dillon?

Thanks for the advice.

SODAPOPMG
08-30-2013, 06:55 PM
the cutter on the dillon trimmer is made of carbide and does not require any breakin
sounds like you have a chip in the cutter, not a big problem as they have 3 sides, just unscrew the cutter blade and rotate 1/3 of a turn and reinstall
my guess is that you fed the case in too fast and exceeded the feed rate for the rpm (machinist talk)which caused the cutter to chip
i suggest the you cut the cases a little closer to you finished size +.010 or just feed the case in to the trimmer slowly

orisolo
08-31-2013, 12:45 AM
Thank you for the suggestions.
I was also advised that if I use too much oil the case could be spinning in the trimming die.
I will test both tomorrow.
Ill post the results for future reference for others.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-02-2013, 09:43 PM
SODAPOPMG is giving you good advice. Inspect your blade for damage, rotate as needed, slow your feed down, adjust as needed. Only suggestion I can add is try using an RCBS lube die in station 1 for die lubrication purposes if they have one available for your brass. I use the Dillon RT1200 in my press with the RCBS lube die providing lubrication and to say it's worked perfectly is an understatement.

angus6
09-02-2013, 10:25 PM
Yep learned not to over tumble and lube as they will spin, I don't bother with the rough cutting anymore I trim the full length, trimmer has cut 35K of .223 to 300blk and sized and trimmed about the same in .223

orisolo
09-02-2013, 11:01 PM
Well im puzzeled.
First i would like to thank all the guys who are trying to help and are sharing with me and other from their experiance.

I "played" today with the trimmer.

I started with diluting my oil to 9 part alcohol 1 part lanolin (i normally use 1-5)
I sprayed lightly and problem was going.

I stuck couple of cases without oil at all (yes desperate)
Make sure the case doesn't spin and no help.

I think my main problem is the shaving are not clearing the die.
when all is clean the brass get cut really nice, after about 10-20 cases i start to get the problems.
I disassembled the die and to my surprise i found a "huge" pile of shaving stuck inside.

Im using a big shop-vac and i cant see what I'm doing wrong.
The brass just pile up in the die and doesn't clear to the vac.
When there is enough brass stuck in the die well... it doesn't work.

Im not sure why the shaving are not vacuumed?
I read somewhere that the long die from CH4D sometime get shavings accumulated in the top of the die.
But 10-20 cases is not "sometimes" and see from the pics that is not accumulated over time.

Here are few pics if anyone have an idea that would be great.
Thanks for the help.

grrifles
09-02-2013, 11:18 PM
On my 550 you have to machine the plate down so the lock ring will fit on the bottom. Not sure if the same has to be done on the 1050.

CATS
09-02-2013, 11:27 PM
Feed slower to create smaller chips and also increase your air flow. A pvc pipe tee and nipple can be cut to the distance needed to fit between your press and the motor body. With larger holes on the back side more air can carry the chips away. Coffee filter paper will prevent chips from exiting the air holes and let air flow thru. You may still have to clean out the chips every so often as you trim your batch.

runfiverun
09-03-2013, 12:00 AM
screw the die up higher then the air can pull the brass out of the hole you have plugged up by the lock ring.

angus6
09-03-2013, 12:07 AM
I milled my 1050 toolhead so that the ex. ports are completely open and also put my jam nut under the toolhead, you will want one of Dillons small sized nuts. The CH4D is a great die and I have no shaving build up with it at all and as said before I don't pre-cut my brass.

orisolo
09-03-2013, 12:25 AM
screw the die up higher then the air can pull the brass out of the hole you have plugged up by the lock ring.

I can not take it higher or it will no form them neck to where it should be.
Ill try to shave the lock ring and make it thinner.
Ill also try to shave the inside of the lock ring and make it angled so it will be more accomodating for the shaving to flow out.

orisolo
09-03-2013, 12:27 AM
I milled my 1050 toolhead so that the ex. ports are completely open and also put my jam nut under the toolhead, you will want one of Dillons small sized nuts. The CH4D is a great die and I have no shaving build up with it at all and as said before I don't pre-cut my brass.

I was trying to avoid milling the tool head.
I dont have a lathe and not sure who in town do.
I know you can order from somewhere a milled tool head for over $100 bucks if i recall correctly.

I will try first to thin the locking ring plus to drill few holes in the back of the dillon attachment.
There are 2 hole already ill just put 2 more o increase the airflow.
if this want work ill have to mill the tool head.

Thanks for the advice's guys.

angus6
09-03-2013, 12:48 AM
Not my pic, but this will not clog. I use just a locknut under the tool-head

orisolo
09-03-2013, 12:56 AM

Ill give it a try tomorrow.
I might have another thin lock nut somewhere.
Thanks

orisolo
09-03-2013, 12:58 AM

I just noticed, the ool head in the picture is milled a good 1/2"

angus6
09-03-2013, 01:11 AM
IIRC I milled .400 off